All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

My n/a project

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:46 PM

fwack that is sexy... I would hump the hell out of it... then wash it after
Old 02-22-2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Wow, that looks great man. Make sure you don't scratch it! Tape it up or something
The cover are in my basement all wrap in bed sheet separately, I'm going to buy some sticky plastic wrap and cover them all before I install them.

AA
Old 03-01-2009, 06:45 AM

I made a stop at the machine shop yesterday to see where they stand with my engine and the good news is my VQ30DEK will be ready in 2 weeks. I will take a bunch of pics as soon as I get the beast back, in the mean time we are finishing to paint the spindle/wheel hub and a bunch of small brackets, everything will be ready for when the engine is back in the garage. I'm hoping to have the engine dropped in the car the same day we will pick it up, 15-03-09.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:38 AM

It is now time for me to think about fuel delivery, injector, FPR & tuning etc. I was thinking that for starting I'd like to first have a simple set-up so i can better understand all of those aspect.

What I'd like to come with is a list of what I really need to buy in order to start the engine and tune it simply for beginning and make the car drivable and for most make the engine run safe and smooth. For beginning I'll be running the 3.125 pulley on a V2 T trim.

I have the wallbro intank fuel pump ( not install but will shortly ) a vortech Race BOV, and a Vortech FMU not sure about the disk. The way I understand it using the vortech FMU would be a crude way to tune but should work fine. I have no experience what so ever in the tuning so dont flame me by saying to read, I have been reading for months but and until I have my hands on, all that reading is theory. Back to biz, I'm thinking of buying the following:

1-) 440 or 550's deatschwerk injectors
2-) Nismo FPR

But beside that what else do I need to buy ? Emanage ultimate is only for next winter while the car will be garaged. I want to buy whatever is required this coming week so when the engine is back we can finish the set-up and get the car on the street like in the following 2-3 weeks.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by doublea
It is now time for me to think about fuel delivery, injector, FPR & tuning etc. I was thinking that for starting I'd like to first have a simple set-up so i can better understand all of those aspect.

What I'd like to come with is a list of what I really need to buy in order to start the engine and tune it simply for beginning and make the car drivable and for most make the engine run safe and smooth. For beginning I'll be running the 3.125 pulley on a V2 T trim.

I have the wallbro intank fuel pump ( not install but will shortly ) a vortech Race BOV, and a Vortech FMU not sure about the disk. The way I understand it using the vortech FMU would be a crude way to tune but should work fine. I have no experience what so ever in the tuning so dont flame me by saying to read, I have been reading for months but and until I have my hands on, all that reading is theory. Back to biz, I'm thinking of buying the following:

1-) 440 or 550's deatschwerk injectors
2-) Nismo FPR

But beside that what else do I need to buy ? Emanage ultimate is only for next winter while the car will be garaged. I want to buy whatever is required this coming week so when the engine is back we can finish the set-up and get the car on the street like in the following 2-3 weeks.
Really Emanage ultimate is your best choice though. with this much modding you want to use this right off the bat IMO.

btw the package went out Friday
Old 03-01-2009, 02:17 PM

DaveVQ Ok got it, but beside that what else do you think I'm missing ?
Old 03-01-2009, 02:19 PM

Oh thanks for the update, I've drop one of the VC at the chrome shop saturday, I found a bubble on top of it, so they are going to redo it free, I'll get it back in 2 weeks at the same time as the engine.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Former Vendor

haven't checked this one out in a minute. looks like you're making steady progress.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Kevlo for President

How much did it cost to chrome the engine parts?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:06 AM

How much did it cost to chrome the engine parts?
Hi Kevlo911, the cost to have both timing cover, both valve cover and a bunch of miscellaneous part chromed cost me 2500$ cdn no tax. Saturday I drop the fuel rail and a all the metal tubing that goes around the intake manifold this will add another 350$ cdn.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
haven't checked this one out in a minute. looks like you're making steady progress.
I spend pretty much all my week evening advancing the project, but thing are coming along and hopefully I will make huge progress in march - april.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:24 AM

Hi Kevlo911, the cost to have both timing cover, both valve cover and a bunch of miscellaneous part chromed cost me 2500$ cdn no tax. Saturday I drop the fuel rail and a all the metal tubing that goes around the intake manifold this will add another 350$ cdn.
WOW 2500??? Props to you for laying down the cash man...wow. Gonna look beautiful
Old 03-02-2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by 98MaXeDouT
WOW 2500??? Props to you for laying down the cash man...wow. Gonna look beautiful
Instead of buying another car I took the cash for the max project so I'm actually saving money and I also realize a long time dream by re-building this car for me.

Thank you

AA
Old 03-02-2009, 01:15 PM

Just spent some time on Greddy website and I couldn't find any info for the DEK engine, I want to order EU asap, but beside head unit what else do I need to order ?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:26 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Thats all you need to order as long as it comes with a harness...there is no plug-n-play kit for us, so you will have to wire everything in yourself unfortunately
Old 03-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Kevlo for President

Just spent some time on Greddy website and I couldn't find any info for the DEK engine, I want to order EU asap, but beside head unit what else do I need to order ?

Which ECU are you using?

I would look into this instead of EU.
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...addresses.html
Old 03-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Which ECU are you using?

I would look into this instead of EU.
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...addresses.html
Will this work with the DEK though?
Old 03-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by nismomaxct
Will this work with the DEK though?

Silly me, I am thinking he was using a 95-97 ecu forgot he has an 01
Old 03-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Silly me, I am thinking he was using a 95-97 ecu forgot he has an 01
You got me all excited for a second. lol.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:38 PM

I have a 2k1, but i'll take a look at that thread later tonight.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:27 AM

Hey guys, I'm finally down to the last part that need an uplift to sustain the boost from my build engine, so I want to strengthen the 4 speeds automatic transmission. Can anyone tell me what is the part number for the 4 speed automatic transmission that is in the 2001 nissan Maxima SE 20th anniversary ? The reason I'm asking is I want to order some parts from IPT, they are making a rebuild kit, valve body re-calibration and a high stall converter, so for me to order I need to give them the tranny part number wich I have no clue what it is.

Thanks for helping.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:58 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Hey guys, I'm finally down to the last part that need an uplift to sustain the boost from my build engine, so I want to strengthen the 4 speeds automatic transmission. Can anyone tell me what is the part number for the 4 speed automatic transmission that is in the 2001 nissan Maxima SE 20th anniversary ? The reason I'm asking is I want to order some parts from IPT, they are making a rebuild kit, valve body re-calibration and a high stall converter, so for me to order I need to give them the tranny part number wich I have no clue what it is.

Thanks for helping.
Take a look at this guy's shopping list of parts. Note the $2,000 built VLSD tranny..... just a thought...

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...hville-tn.html
Old 03-27-2009, 09:13 AM

Hey guys, good news this am I went to the shop to drop some bolts and other parts the shop needed in order to finalized the engine assembly. I will picked up the engine next week and we will work like there is no tomorrow in order to finish the car for early may.

What bother me the most is all the vacuum, wires and such, I have a lot's of pics but I'm sure I will need some help to remember where everything goes. Lol

I'll post fresh pics in the next week or so.

Cheers and stay tune for more.

AA
Old 03-29-2009, 04:03 PM

Can anyone who know a thing or two about fuel line, vacuum line etc. give me some advice about the hose size I need. What hose size should I order to for following:

1- Fuel line
2- Tranny cooler line
3- Power steering line
4- S/C oil line
5- Radiator line
6- Vacuum line

If you know that I will need a specific size, please tell me about it.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

AA

Last edited by doublea; 03-29-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:00 AM

Good news my engine is almost ready, but the only thing I'm missing are the 6 bolts that hold the metal tray in the upper oil pan, can anyone tell me what size are they ? A pics would be awesome but maybe that is pushing my luck. Anyway I'm calling Dave B but if anyone has the answer please chim in as I need this asap.

Thank you guys and pics will be on it's way in the next day or so...
Old 03-31-2009, 11:13 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Good news my engine is almost ready, but the only thing I'm missing are the 6 bolts that hold the metal tray in the upper oil pan, can anyone tell me what size are they ? A pics would be awesome but maybe that is pushing my luck. Anyway I'm calling Dave B but if anyone has the answer please chim in as I need this asap.

Thank you guys and pics will be on it's way in the next day or so...
A pix of the upper oil pan : ???? but the screws are still installed.....

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...9/DSCN0778.jpg

Old 03-31-2009, 11:41 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I just measured one of these bolts for you. It appears to be M4x.075-5mm.

Try to find 6 of those at the local hardware store. There is a split lock and a flat washer permanently on each one of these bolts. If you don't use a lock washer, I'd definitely put a bit of threadlocker on it to be safe.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:29 PM

Thanks grey99max & Aaron. You guys rock, with the pic and info's I'm sure I will find those screw, otherwise I'll just buy new one and put some red lock tight on it.

I'll keep you posted and will post some fresh pics of the engine soon.

Cheers

AA
Old 04-03-2009, 05:09 AM

If the rain doesn't scroo my plan, I'll be picking up my engine this pm. I'm not going to brag to have build the most powerful DEK but I think it's going to be at least one of the most beautiful DEK engine to be ever been build, the cost is a little insane but the timing was perfect for me at this stage of my life. BTW I consider this build a DEK stage 1, I have other plan for next winter but for now I just need to concentrate my effort to finish the assembly and start the biatch. Worst case scenario I will pick up the engine monday or as soon as the rain stop ( I have an open trailer so weather is my worst enemy for now ) stay tune for more.

Thanks for your help & interest in this thread, this has been my fuel and motivation to over come many show stopper.

AA
Old 04-04-2009, 07:58 AM

Picked up the engine this morning as the rain has stopped for few hours. The engine was nicely wrap and tied up on a wooden palet, we where a little scared at first since we didn't know what to expect as to how they would have pack it up, but doing business with professional make all the difference.

I only have good words to say about this shop and the kind of work they did on the engine. I'm leaving now as the last chrome parts are ready to pick up. I'll try to fix the engine on the motor stand today and take a bunch of pics.

The only draw back is I will be leaving for a week vacation in Dominican Republic this coming thursday with my family, even though we are all very excited about that, I think it is going to be one of the longest week of my life. Lol

Stay tune for more later today.

AA
Old 04-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Pics of the engine.....this thing is gonna be a beaut
Old 04-05-2009, 07:32 AM

Hey guys, sorry for not posting the pics yesterday but my 4 year old foreman had other plans for me. Lol

I just took 6 pics of the engine still on the pallet and wrapped. On another note while I was taking my morning coffer and trying to figured out all the works that still remain to dress the engine, few thing came to my mind. When I bought Matty's V1 kit, there was a drain back plate the came with the kit, does that plate is use for the S/C oil return ? The reason I'm asking is I have had both of the stocker DEK cover that have been black chrome and this am I found out my mistake, I should have had the drain back plate chrome but it's too late now so is there another way to return the oil to the engine without going thru the drain back plate ? Can I have a separate oil container just for the S/C ? or do I have absolutely to go that way ? Also the extended coolant adapter supplied in Matty's V1 kit does fit perfectly, it seem that I would need to shave a bit of the timing cover in order to line up one of the bolts, not a big problem by itself but since my cover are chromed, shaving a part of the timing cover will expose the alu to oxydation wich I'd like to avoid. My solution is to either use 2 gasket wich I'm not even sure will be enough to clear ! or simply crunch a little bit the 1" coolant pipe to clear the cover.

Here you go:

Old 04-05-2009, 07:54 AM

As you know there are many different sensor on the DEK, ie: knock sensor, temps etc. should I re-used the used one that I have or not take a chance and replace most of them ? I know for instance that I'm better off replacing all the coil pack, but for the sensor can anyone tell me wich are known for causing trouble if any ?

I think finishing the install is going to be a pita, but I'll take one day at a time, but looking at that I'm no longer sure when this car will see pavement !
Old 04-05-2009, 09:03 AM

C mon guys... time to get out of the bed and log-in to the forum.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Kevlo for President

Looks amazing.

You should look into some custom splash sheilds that cover more of the bottom of the car to keep it all clean(like G35's)
Old 04-05-2009, 10:20 AM

Looks amazing.

You should look into some custom splash sheilds that cover more of the bottom of the car to keep it all clean(like G35's)
Good call ! that is something I though of doing with 1/16" diamond plate aluminum found here: http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/alum2.phtml?page=tread&LimAcc=$LimAcc

Maybe this is over kill but the plastic shield stuff is ugly. A 4 x 10F Diamond cut aluminum sheet is about 125$ and would be much stronger than anything else. Once the car is finish I'll definitely design something like that.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Good call ! that is something I though of doing with 1/16" diamond plate aluminum found here: http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/alum2.phtml?page=tread&LimAcc=$LimAcc

Maybe this is over kill but the plastic shield stuff is ugly. A 4 x 10F Diamond cut aluminum sheet is about 125$ and would be much stronger than anything else. Once the car is finish I'll definitely design something like that.
I think the best idea would try to make it as smooth and flat under the car sometimes these small additions can make a big influence at higher speeds
Old 04-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Turbo'd Saab

If you make out to maxus...I'm hoping I can borrow my sisters professional camera setup and do a nice shoot with it. Would definitely like to get some nice shots of your engine bay to maybe make it into a desktop wallpaper....
Old 04-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Turbo'd Saab

what did the final Compression Ratio come out too btw?

I would really like to see what this thing does NA
Old 04-05-2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
If you make out to maxus...I'm hoping I can borrow my sisters professional camera setup and do a nice shoot with it. Would definitely like to get some nice shots of your engine bay to maybe make it into a desktop wallpaper....

I'd really like to go to Maxus, but the re-assembling for some of the aspect is going to be a pita, so I dunno if I will be able to make it on time.

Quick Reply: My n/a project