All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

My n/a project

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 06:46 PM

Hope you can finish it by spring! I wanna see this car live, its such a masterpiece, and what state do you live in?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:27 PM

This car is already considered as an old car, but it has only been driven 4 year really, so I cant wait to sit behind the steering wheel again and enjoy it for what it is. I'll keep you guys posted, it shouldn't be that long anymore.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:35 AM
Turbo 3.5

is this done yet
Old 12-02-2012, 04:28 PM

The car is almost completed, it is just the lack of time I had over the past year, changed career, sold the business, start another one, sold the town house, bought another one, home renovation, town house renovation and work work work. Because of all this I kind ok lost the momentum, but I have the will to finish it this winter for sure. The car must go out by next spring 2013, I need to get my garage back for other purpose.

What left to be done:

1- Fix 2 leak, oil pan and coolant line.
2- Install repaired ecu
3- Plug in new pressure regulator
4- Put back the Walbro fuel pump
5- Finish to weld the dual Cattman exhaust
6- Break in the engine for a 1000Km
7- Install supercharger and E-manage
8- Have fun with the car.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:57 AM

Hey guys, I'm back on track and started cleaning the garage today. Hopefully in a day or so I can start working on the car again.

Now I have been thinking lately about where I should bring this car, that is almost finished. I recently waked up when starting to look at getting a brand new S/C and man those are expensive, new I have to put 3G, that is a lot of money. Now I see the price of a Holset HX52 and that make me drool... I already have the I/C, pipping etc. I'd like to figure out how much would it cost me to do a Turbo set-up instead of going S/C. As of now I'm only missing new injectors and the Vortech S/C, I have E-manage brand new in the box, all the gauges, Tune etc. I know in the past I have denied the suggestion of going turbo, I guess I was on a quest, but a 18 months step back and it suddenly become another story.

At last, remember that I have a built engine with a C/R of 9.25:1, the engine is Blue printed, balanced and have a lot of custom stuff done to it. Before I go to far I want to re-evaluate my options. Thanks for any feed back and I'm back on business, I want to finish the car for spring 2013

Last edited by doublea; 12-21-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Kevlo for President

turbo will be more work, at least get it running NA first
Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Turbo'd Saab

heyo...bump
Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
heyo...bump
Hey Drunkie, what's up man ? It's been a while since we last chat...

It's really not that much stuff that need to be taken care for this car to be back alive, if I can find a helper my guess is we can do all the work in a week-end.

My new construction business is taking all my time now and I missed the time I spent working on the garage, at some point I had a lot of time to do so, but things had dramatically change since I sold my computer business, I went back to school and started a new business. Changing career at 50 is a challenge, but my dedication and attention will pay off one day, so in the meantime I put all my effort towards getting contract for the 2013 construction season, which is about to start, I'm confident that we will do good.

As for the car this is it, it has to be and it will be on the road this spring. I had a heck of clean up made in the garage as it was packed with tools and construction materials.

I should be able to start working on it very soon, I hope before the end of this month otherwise in march for sure.

That would be cool if I can find a local guy that can come up and help to finish her, I'm posting request on local forum and see what will come up.

Stay tune as this is not over yet, still longer than I though but I will finish this very soon, cuz there is another project on the horizon which is not a car but this: http://www.sonexaircraft.com/aircraft/waiex.html
or this:http://www.zenithair.com/zodiac/ch650/index.html

The wife is making fun of me in right now saying she do not think the max will run again, but I have a surprise for her, she said no max no airplane but I'm about to show her who's the boss... I mean in the garage. Lol

Have a good day everyone and I will at least make the effort to log in more frequently than I had over the last year.

Cheers

AA

Last edited by doublea; 02-23-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:54 PM

Still alive !

Hey guys, hope life is good for you all. I haven't been much on the forum lately but my interest is still alive, like I've said in previous post, construction is taking all my time now.

I'm on vacation for the next 2 weeks and will take some time off with the family at our country house, boating, water skying, good food, wine, beer cigar and what not.

There is not a single day that pass that I don't think about the max, it is still in the garage patiently waiting to be back, it will happen one day or another but for now I haven't had the time to advance, hopefully when the construction season start to slow down then I'll get back and finish the project. I will never abandon this project no matter what, I have invested to much efforts and cash but I yet have to see the day that I will drive her back, which now I think it will be in 2014.

The good side of this story is the car is so well preserve, it will be here for many years to come, I see few 2001 on the road and there getting close the their life ending so this is a reward knowing that this car that I loved so much is getting preserve and might survive me.

Cheers to all.

AA
Old 07-20-2013, 01:58 PM

Good to hear!
Old 08-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Good to hear you're still around and kickin'.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:32 PM

Hey guys, hope all is well.

Spent couple of hours cleaning the garage, it's been hard to keep it in order with all the lumber and tools taking to much space, so I made a trip to the dump and now I can get back to what was has always been my passion. Long story short, I have installed the repaired ECU, gee I had forgot how painful it was to put those 4 screws back into, but it was all good to feel that I put the battery on the charger and hopefully tomorrow might be the day. I crank it up just to see if it would crank and it did but I didn't want to start it yet, there still some gas in the oil, so tomorrow I will dump the oil and put fresh one into. I replaced the coil and hooked up a couple of things like the Mishimoto oil catch can, it look good with the Russell SS hose. I have checked all the electrical and everything works fine, light, radio, heather, turn signals and what not. When I last tried to start the car over a year ago, the ECU fried apparently because of the IAC, not to sure why... My friend Mike who's a Nissan tech told me that the ECU doesn't like Jobber's IAC valve, I didn't know that so since I wont be driving this car in winter I did not hook it up this time but I'm still wondering if the car will start without it. Mike told me to just use the screw on the throttle body to adjust the idle, will it work fine ? euhm this has yet to be confirm. I just hope the car will start so I can work all the little things that remain to be fix and make it ready for spring 2014. It's going to be 7 year in january 2014 that the car has been garaged. It feel good to see that this car will look good for many years to come, working on the car today made me realized that the car would probably be at the scrap yard if I had not done this. The car look really good and I cant wait to hear the rumble of the engine, but there is something that tell me to not celebrate to quickly, who know what could happened.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Have a goog evening every one.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:26 PM

I'm ready to start the car, but before I do so I'm wondering if there is anything I should do or check before I try to fire the biatch ? I finished to dump the oil, just need to put new one in. The oil pan that was leaking, but that will wait until it fire up. I have brand new cam and crank sensor sitting on the bench, I though it would be a good idea to replace those before I crank it up but that's going to take me 5 min, but beside that ? Any idea or though you wanna share ? Please don't hesitate to give me a call on my cell: 514-796-3151 or perhaps send me a text message. The battery is fully charged and as of now there is not much I'm thinking about. Like I've said in my last post, all the electrical are working fine and I didn't find a single thing that doesn't work in that dept. I'm going to hook up the OBDII console now and see what I get, I know the IAC code will show since I didn't plugged the wire in cuz I dont want to blow the ECU again.

I'm going right back to the garage and hope for the best, I'm still a bit nervous but what the heck it's now or never.

AA
Old 09-08-2013, 12:53 PM

I've waited a long time to see this moment.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:40 PM

I just got back, to see if anyone replied... I crank it a few minutes in a short 10 seconds burst, but it didn't start yet, in the first minute I think I heard 2 very small back fire, but no sign it would start. I've check the plug and I got fire, I also checked the gap but it seem right at .044 anyway I'm going to check all the coils at last. I have brand new gas in the tank, I have check with the OBDII and I got the PO505, which is related to the IAC.

One last thing I see that the lower left vacuum on the throttle body is open, I don't recall where it use to be hooked up.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:25 PM

The b*tch doesn't want to start. I have fire but not sure on the gas, so I'm going to check the fuel pump tomorrow after work. I think I'm going to swap the fuel regulator and put the adjustable one I have. I will also replace crank and cam sensor just in case. Hopefully I will narrow it down one way or another. Is there any way to test the IAC and know for sure if it's faulty ? I have a brand new one sitting on my bench but I'm hesitating to plug it in since last time it blew the ECU. Any way I'm glad to be back on the project and hopefully with the help of other I might be able to start it soon. Worst case scenario I'll find a local shop that can take care of it if can't bring it back alive.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Kevlo for President

see if it starts with starter fluid
Old 09-09-2013, 03:25 PM

Never used starter fluid, how do you use it ?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Kevlo for President

spray it into the IM and turn it on

if it turns on you have a fuel issue
Old 09-10-2013, 05:40 PM

Ok thanks, I'll get the spray fuel tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:51 PM

Its probably the crank or cam sensors i bet.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:41 PM

I got 2 brand new sensors sitting, I jut got too much work these days and wont have the time to touch the car before next week-end. At least I have 3 things that may help to start it.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:26 PM

Hey guys, I hope all is well ?

Cleaned the garage for x time yesterday and hope to keep it that way for a while so I can work on the car. Today I replaced, cam sensor and both crank sensor for new one, I also replaced the rear coil but I couldn't find the new one I bought for the front, anyway i have check and there is fire. I got a can of quick start, sprayed in the throttle body and I tried to start the engine, the battery is weak so I could only crank a few second but I got a back fire which doesn't sound right to me... I'm going to leave the battery on the charger for a few hours and try again this evening. But this got me thinking that there might be a problem that I cant seem to figure out. I'm going to remove the fuel line and see if gas is going true but beside that I don't know. The IAC valve connector is un-plugged I don't want to take any chance to blow the ECU again, but who know this might be the problem again. I'm going to remove the ECU just to make sure it's not blown again. At this point and until I confirm the few mentioned things to check, I'm wondering if this could be a problem related to the timing, like the cam not being set properly or else. I want to go as far as I can but otherwise I may have to tow the car to a shop and have a mechanic to look at it.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:37 AM

I just realized I have the Blazt II software with the OBDII/USB adaptor waiting to be triggered, I'm going to see if that could help me diagnose some problems... Keep ya posted.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:50 AM

The NDS II software is now all set-up but for a reason I can't explain it doesn't see the ECU.

Tom has given me few things to check about the set-up so I will investigate on this today.

My friend Michel who's a Nissan technician think it is probably related to the timing (TDC) I also remember reading about the cam spacer/adaptor's dolly pin that got broken, this would screw up the timing, or perhaps the timing chain may have skip a tooth or two. He's going to come with the Consult II computer as soon as he can take it out of the shop.

My knowledge about timing on the VQ's is very basic, so if someone want to step in and shed some light that could be a good start.

Thanks for helping.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:02 PM
Turbo 3.5

So is this car done yet
Old 02-07-2014, 01:23 PM

The car is 85% done, I haven't work much on it over the last few months. Last year I had the ECU fixed by a company in FL. after the bad IACV has fried it, but since I put the repaired ECU in the car I haven't been able to start the engine, I have kept the IACV unplug since I dont want to fried the ECU again. The last several time I tried to fire up the engine I got nothing but a back fire. I think there might be a dual problems, the first must be related to the timing, I mean I was able to start the engine on multiple occasion before the ECU fried.

It's still possible that the ECU is bad (it might not have been repaired properly)

I have try to hook up with the laptop but Blazt software can't connect with the ECU. I have another ECU, but I need to reprogram the key with the DatascanII software, but I first need to find the key ring with the serial number. Last few months have been frustrating going from one issue to the next one, I also dont have much spare time anymore to work in the car, but I definitely want to drive the car this spring.

I want to give another try with the 2nd ECU, and if I get the same result, I'm going to find some help, wether a local shop or a org member that is willing to help and get paid for it, but so far I haven't been able to find someone who's willing to come over and help.

It's been 7 years that this car is garaged, I probably have close to 5000 hours of work on it, but the good news is it's in pristine condition. Most 2001 that I see locally are soon to be member of a scrap yard or are in really bad condition.

Spring time is 2 months away and I'm going to do everything I can to get this car back on the street for spring time.

Cheers

AA
Old 02-08-2014, 08:08 AM
Kevlo for President

might have to take the risk and connect the IACV to start the car
Old 02-09-2014, 06:45 AM

It is one thing I didn't though about since I was afraid of blowing the ECU again, I have 2 IACV and they both look brand new. So you think it might be the reason why the engine doesn't start ? Do you happen to know what it is in the IACV that make the ECU goes bad ?

Also the fact that NDS II doesn't connect with the ECU is kind of telling me something I dont want to hear. I have a spare ECU that I can swap but I have to reprogram the key first, NDS II can do that but I have no clue how to doe it, another case of RTFM, I posted on the NDS forum so hopefully someone can help me save some time here.

Last edited by doublea; 02-09-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Kevlo for President

something shorts in the IACV and then shorts the ecu since there is no fuse on the line.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:47 PM

Do you happen to know if anyone has successfully been able to put a fuse on the wiring ? If so which wire should I tap in ?

The 2 IACV I got are like brand new, so I have no clue what make this to happen. I remember few year ago the first time that the IACV went south, it was under warranty and even the dealer could barely know what was causing the problem, after they replaced the IACV for a brand new one the ECU fried, they had to replace it twice before the engine could run properly. I remember one time the ECU fried because of the faulty electrical engine mount which I end up tossing.

Last edited by doublea; 02-11-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:25 PM
Kevlo for President

damn thats too much frying lol

i'd have to look it up but i think someone did try to put a fuse. ill see whati can dig up
Old 03-19-2014, 09:23 AM

Hello guys, I need a bit of help here.

For reasons I can't explain, The Nissan Datascan II software doesn't want to connect with the repaired max ECU. I know my computer, Datascan II software & cable set-up is all good (being a computer geek) but maybe the ECU is fried, but in order to confirm this, Tom who is a moderator at Nissan Datascan forum is asking me if the VQ30DEK is ODBII/ConsultII compliant, I know it is ODBII but I dont know about ConsultII

The answer to this question, will help Tom to help me resolve this problem. The non compliance could confirm I have either the wrong software for my max or the ECU is fried.

Also he's asking me to send him a pic of the BCM ??? Not to sure where it is located.

One last thing he's asking me for a wiring diagram, ( VQDEK with CA emission) I know I have it somewhere but if anyone can post a link it would help me a lot as I'm running out of time...

Thanks for helping, this would definitely lead to fix the issue of engine not starting.

P.S: On another note, I'm currently trying to sell both of my F150 (2008 Foose & 2010 XTR) I want to get a 2014 Nissan Titan Pro 4X king cab fully loaded, I have visited 2 dealer so far, Nissan and Dodge but so far Nissan is making me the best offer of all by far, 12K below sticky price + freebee ( foot step & folding cover a value of about 1200$) I need to sell the Foose before but that should happen shortly. The ram is very nice but they want to sell me at a sticky price of 51K + taxes, same price as online, I like the truck but not at that price, when I told them the deal I have at Nissan, they proposed my a cheaper version of the RAM 1500 to match the Nissan price, nice try but I'm not a fool. The guys where nice and all but it seem that for now Dodge dealer are surfing on the RAM success and offer no discount. I have yet to see with Ford but even though the Titan doesn't match the competition fuel economy the discount they offer me will cover for the extra fuel cost.

Last edited by doublea; 03-19-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:19 AM
Kevlo for President

BCM is under the radio mounded on the tunnel

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nis...e-manuals.html
Go there for the FSM - EC section has pinouts of the ecu and other engine wirediagrams

EL has more electrical stuff too
Old 03-23-2014, 12:03 PM

Thanks a bunch.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:25 AM

Yesterday I spoke with my friend who's a tech at a Nissan dealership. I has been very busy so we didn't spoke to each other in a while, he's going to come over and check a couple of things. I have explained everything that I have done and not being able to start the engine, he first reminded me that last year when he came over, he checked the timing and it was all good, I didn't remember that so that is one less thing to check. He said that, the ECU problem might be related to a power supply shortage wether negative or positive, (bad ground etc) there is a whole bunch of ground cable on the car but we will see, he said that I need to check the voltage on the ECU, but that is easier said than done, when it come to this kind of stuff, I need precise direction, like what pin and how do I set-up the voltmeter, but anyway he will come on an evening this coming week to check that out. In the meantime today I'm going to swap the ECU for the spared one and see if I can connect with the Nissan Datascan II. If the DTSII connect than mean that either the ECU wasn't repaired properly or perhaps it blow some how. If this diagnostic is such then I can at least reprogram the key and try to start the engine maybe today or tomorrow, then I'll see if it stars or not and take it from there. At least now I have a goal and hopefully I'll get thru it shortly. There is also the possibility that I have 2 faulty ECU, but I'll keep that in mind for later if nothing work out.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good luck!
Let us know how it goes!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:41 AM

I'll let you know shortly how it goes.

Check this out: http://superlightcar.ca/fr/?lang=en
Old 04-04-2014, 05:43 AM

Does anyone have a picture of the 2k1 BCM ? I have to reprogram the key so it will work with the spared ECU.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:28 PM

Hey guys, time to install the front doors, but I misplaced the hinge and another part that I need to buy but dont know the name in English. It is like a hook onto which the door is secured once close, that parts is located in the pillar between the front & rear door. I'm searching online but can't seem to find that parts. Does anyone know what I'm talking about ? BTW, I'm back with Nissan, last week I bought a 2014 Frontier Pro 4x, with all options, man I love that truck, way better than both Ford I had. No rattle, the drive is nice and quiet, plus the gas consumption is way better than the F150. The Foose is gone as well as the XTR. I hesitated between the Titan and the Frontier, but end up with the Frontier, but the 4L with 268HP & 281TQ is good enough to pull my boat and trailer.

Ok found it: It's the Striker, I dont even know how to prononce that part in french so imagine trying to say in english...

Last edited by doublea; 05-29-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Quick Reply: My n/a project