Quick, dirty, and somewhat cheap "HR" swap into 2002 - Page 2 - Maxima Forums



All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Quick, dirty, and somewhat cheap "HR" swap into 2002

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #41
Turbo 3.5
iTrader: (69)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 7,802
copper lines now that's different
t6378tp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:43 PM   #42
Bad *** Newb
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Child_uv_KoRn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,869
No ebay flammage? I'm disappointed. They ride and handle well. Not great, but good.

Name:  20150116_192911.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  50.0 KB

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 02-18-2016 at 03:25 AM.
Child_uv_KoRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:03 AM   #43
Bad *** Newb
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Child_uv_KoRn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,869
Late pic for funsies. I forgot the balancer and chains LOL. I strapped the motor in and out and pulled the tranny up with them

Child_uv_KoRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:57 PM   #44
Bad *** Newb
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Child_uv_KoRn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,869
Utec = biggest PoS made. 100% junk. Turbo XS should commit seppuku.
Child_uv_KoRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #45
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pemberton, N.J.
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn View Post
Utec = biggest PoS made. 100% junk. Turbo XS should commit seppuku.
Not to argue with you but I disagree. Utec for the cost and ease of operation is pretty damn good. I'm not saying it's the greatest thing ever. But for the price you can't go wrong. It's not the systems fault that it's older technology. I mean here it is ten years later and still a usable system. Turbo xs kinda screwed everyone by never updating the software and abandoning the thing yea. It works for what I need on my turbo 5.5 gen.

Do you have one that you're having trouble with? I'm fairly good at using and tuning with it maybe I can help you out?
Mattx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:19 AM   #46
Bad *** Newb
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Child_uv_KoRn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattx View Post
Not to argue with you but I disagree. Utec for the cost and ease of operation is pretty damn good. I'm not saying it's the greatest thing ever. But for the price you can't go wrong. It's not the systems fault that it's older technology. I mean here it is ten years later and still a usable system. Turbo xs kinda screwed everyone by never updating the software and abandoning the thing yea. It works for what I need on my turbo 5.5 gen.

Do you have one that you're having trouble with? I'm fairly good at using and tuning with it maybe I can help you out?
Hardware is junk. ****er is going in the trash. No spark on cylinder 1. I'm using Darren's PnP harness.
Googling reveals that misfires are more common than herpes on these.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 02-28-2016 at 12:24 AM.
Child_uv_KoRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:34 AM   #47
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pemberton, N.J.
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn View Post
Hardware is junk. ****er is going in the trash. No spark on cylinder 1. I'm using Darren's PnP harness. Googling reveals that misfires are more common than herpes on these.
Hmmm. Could be a bad unit. Never had a no spark issue so I'm guessing if everything on the car is right which I believe it would be then maybe you have a defective unit. Unfortunately when Buying these used it happens a fair amount. I had to go thru a couple of tuner boxes before I came to the conclusion it was in the wiring harness. Someone had hacked into it so it was getting power but the o2 sensor wasn't. New wire harness problem solved. The utec itself I hadn't experienced any issues.

Just to make sure you did run a good ground? The same molex connector that has the selector wheel on it should have a wire off of it for a ground connection. If you don't ground that wire I know you can have different stuff happen.
Mattx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:37 AM   #48
Bad *** Newb
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Child_uv_KoRn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattx View Post

Just to make sure you did run a good ground? The same molex connector that has the selector wheel on it should have a wire off of it for a ground connection. If you don't ground that wire I know you can have different stuff happen.
Yeah, I grounded that pin.
Child_uv_KoRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:46 PM   #49
Bad *** Newb
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Child_uv_KoRn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,869
Other people want to do the swap, but they're a bit shy due to some info missing. It would be great if you 5.7 guys could post the missing info.
Child_uv_KoRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 415
I've been following the 5.7 swap stuff recently and I'm digging people's progress for sure. I don't want to change the subject too much, but I feel you on the UTEC thing. I'm new to a lot of this tuning game, and I personally haven't worked with tuning the UTEC, but the UTEC is responsible for a lot of the weird driveability problems with my car. It does its job, but it still is flawed. Cef had to bring an extra UTEC just in case my UTEC didn't work. I'll probably be looking into something better when I have some money again.

Definitely following these swaps though for more info. One day my 3.5 will kick the bucket.
Cotozic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:04 AM   #51
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattx View Post
Not to argue with you but I disagree. Utec for the cost and ease of operation is pretty damn good. I'm not saying it's the greatest thing ever. But for the price you can't go wrong. It's not the systems fault that it's older technology. I mean here it is ten years later and still a usable system. Turbo xs kinda screwed everyone by never updating the software and abandoning the thing yea. It works for what I need on my turbo 5.5 gen.

Do you have one that you're having trouble with? I'm fairly good at using and tuning with it maybe I can help you out?
Just reading back over this thread, and thought I would update.

The Utec was fine, the harness had loose contacts and wouldn't work.

I got a plug from the JY and redid the ENTIRE harness after getting this from him. It was figured out by installing the Utec in my 06 g35 for testing.
murphys_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:05 AM   #52
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotozic View Post
I've been following the 5.7 swap stuff recently and I'm digging people's progress for sure. I don't want to change the subject too much, but I feel you on the UTEC thing. I'm new to a lot of this tuning game, and I personally haven't worked with tuning the UTEC, but the UTEC is responsible for a lot of the weird driveability problems with my car. It does its job, but it still is flawed. Cef had to bring an extra UTEC just in case my UTEC didn't work. I'll probably be looking into something better when I have some money again.

Definitely following these swaps though for more info. One day my 3.5 will kick the bucket.
OOOOO, now that its available you should flash the stock ecu. Drivability issues be gone!
murphys_law is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The story of my beloved Maxima - Long Read hez8813 5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) 10 02-06-2017 05:33 PM
Replaced passenger air bag module Colossus 5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) 0 09-09-2015 05:46 AM
Interior differences 2002 GregL65 5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) 6 09-07-2015 10:33 PM
2002 Nissan Maxima high flow cat help! Justin Kroll 5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) 7 09-02-2015 11:06 AM
ABS/Non-ABS Knuckle, Front maximusrising 4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) 1 09-02-2015 09:55 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:23 AM.