Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Soundstream amps.. what's the deal with them?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002 | 12:18 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Soundstream amps.. what's the deal with them?

I was told they made good amps in the past then got bad.. but someone told me they went back to their old ways. I am looking at a "Rubicon II" series. Any feedback on them?

It's either that or maybe a Hifonics Zeus..
let me know guys, I don't want to pass this deal up if it's good.. The amp is new btw, just wondering if they are good quality, like they were in the past
Old 07-11-2002 | 05:20 AM

Re: Soundstream amps.. what's the deal with them?

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
I was told they made good amps in the past then got bad.. but someone told me they went back to their old ways. I am looking at a "Rubicon II" series. Any feedback on them?

It's either that or maybe a Hifonics Zeus..
let me know guys, I don't want to pass this deal up if it's good.. The amp is new btw, just wondering if they are good quality, like they were in the past
I'm fairly certain that their amps are no where as good as they used to be...but that doesn't mean that they're not good right now. Their Reference series amps pretty much kicked *** in the SQ dept.

I know that only answered half your post, but that's all I know!

Tony
Old 07-11-2002 | 11:00 AM

Re: Re: Soundstream amps.. what's the deal with them?

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

I'm fairly certain that their amps are no where as good as they used to be...but that doesn't mean that they're not good right now. Their Reference series amps pretty much kicked *** in the SQ dept.

I know that only answered half your post, but that's all I know!

Tony
damn
that sucks

Would you say they are better than some of the bargain brands, like US Accoustics, JBL, Candence etc...? I might be able to get one for a comparable price, so I'm wondering if I should rather go with a Soundstream.. but i heard all these not so good things about their more recent stuff.

From what I was told, the company went bankrupt and was sold to the owners of Crunch and Hifonics, then again to the owners of Power accoustik.. that's when supposedly the quality deteriorated, although I have not found any first hand experience, just rumors.. maybe someone else knows or can advise for or against them.. it's either that or one of the brands i mentioned above.
Old 07-11-2002 | 03:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Soundstream amps.. what's the deal with them?

damn
that sucks

Would you say they are better than some of the bargain brands, like US Accoustics, JBL, Candence etc...? I might be able to get one for a comparable price, so I'm wondering if I should rather go with a Soundstream.. but i heard all these not so good things about their more recent stuff.

From what I was told, the company went bankrupt and was sold to the owners of Crunch and Hifonics, then again to the owners of Power accoustik.. that's when supposedly the quality deteriorated, although I have not found any first hand experience, just rumors.. maybe someone else knows or can advise for or against them.. it's either that or one of the brands i mentioned above.
Definately..they are still made by "soundstream" but soundstream sold to the owners who own power acoustik along with many others...I hear all 3 lines were designed before the buyout and they (P.A.) are basically marketing them. The rubi's your referring to are the same as before, just different crossover's that's all I believe..
I have used soundstream amps for over 10 years in all my vehicles..from the D series, to MC's to references to rubicon's..I have literally had every model they have made "literally" in the reference and rubi lineup...I have only had 2 amps fail in that time and personally, they did me wrong in repairing 1 of them....long story...but can explain if you want sometime....I would say you won't be disappointed in any soundstream amp if you but it "new" DO NOT buy ANY soundstream amps from ebay..even if they say they are new..well...old rubi or reference anyways..if they are f#@$d up, you are screwed litarally..
If you buy new, should be fine..but if something happens to where they need repaired good luck...honestly..
my favorite of them all were the renior picasso and 10.2 they don't make anymore..I would put those amps up against ANY amp in a SQ situation believe me...
the rubi's are the mid level picasso "now" is the entry level and the tarantula line is their flag line..I hear the T's are badass and I don't nmean their monster 2k sub amp either, their "line" have 2 mono d's small 2 ch. big 2 ch. 4 ch. and a 5 ch. unfortunatly, haven't heard any of them yet but would love too..only downside is their amp bodies kinda resemble the old xtant's square blocky look except they are chrome like the later ones instead of stainless
Old 07-11-2002 | 11:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Soundstream amps.. what's the deal with them?

Originally posted by slickonetoo

Definately..they are still made by "soundstream" but soundstream sold to the owners who own power acoustik along with many others...I hear all 3 lines were designed before the buyout and they (P.A.) are basically marketing them. The rubi's your referring to are the same as before, just different crossover's that's all I believe..
I have used soundstream amps for over 10 years in all my vehicles..from the D series, to MC's to references to rubicon's..I have literally had every model they have made "literally" in the reference and rubi lineup...I have only had 2 amps fail in that time and personally, they did me wrong in repairing 1 of them....long story...but can explain if you want sometime....I would say you won't be disappointed in any soundstream amp if you but it "new" DO NOT buy ANY soundstream amps from ebay..even if they say they are new..well...old rubi or reference anyways..if they are f#@$d up, you are screwed litarally..
If you buy new, should be fine..but if something happens to where they need repaired good luck...honestly..
my favorite of them all were the renior picasso and 10.2 they don't make anymore..I would put those amps up against ANY amp in a SQ situation believe me...
the rubi's are the mid level picasso "now" is the entry level and the tarantula line is their flag line..I hear the T's are badass and I don't nmean their monster 2k sub amp either, their "line" have 2 mono d's small 2 ch. big 2 ch. 4 ch. and a 5 ch. unfortunatly, haven't heard any of them yet but would love too..only downside is their amp bodies kinda resemble the old xtant's square blocky look except they are chrome like the later ones instead of stainless
thanks!
Don't buy off ebay, huh..

a lot of places offer a warranty though them though..

but thanks for the heads up and the feedback..
Old 07-12-2002 | 12:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: Soundstream amps.. what's the deal with them?

damn
that sucks

Would you say they are better than some of the bargain brands, like US Accoustics, JBL, Candence etc...?
Yes, yes, yes!!!

Tony
Old 07-12-2002 | 06:35 AM

if your buying a new line of SS from ebay, you should be o.k. but I really wouldn't buy a used one...since the selloff, soundstream is pretty bad about repairs on the older lines..I sent a 604 to them to get repaired and it took 6 months to get it back..said they lost mine and sent me another...came back with a 405 bottom on it and problem was still the same unfixed...I blew up a pair of focal polykevlar's with it and a pair of quarts so my reputation with SS is pretty much over with..they didn't even offer 1$ for the speakers "they" blew since they were blown due to a short in the dc side..nothing I could have possibly done..this case and 1 other are the only bad cases I have had for 10 years..I say they still make good amps..but my 2 "lemons" sucked along the lines of customer service...
Old 07-14-2002 | 11:01 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Re: Re: Re: Re: Soundstream amps.. what's the deal with them?

Originally posted by slickonetoo

I have a Picasso sitting in my Garage for sale
Yes the Class A chrome one.

I unfortunately sold my Reference 705S, damn I miss that amp

But its good to see someone else out there who appreciated the older lines....