Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Trunk ventilation? Amp overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002 | 02:09 PM

Trunk ventilation? Amp overheating

Seems as if my JL 1000/1 went into a "thermal" mode. Suppsedly it was too hot, so it powered itself down. I was curious...almost thought my system was busted when it was hittin like it should!! I did some dynamat work today..but only on that rear deck portion.

*Side note* - Thanks to all who helped with the rattles from my back deck. Got some dynamat down, and ended up shoving a ton of foam under the back carpet. It's pushed up more than normal, but at least that sucker is never going to rattle again!! (The only thing I care about!)

Anyways, any idea why the amp would do this today compared to all other times I've used it? I'm sure I didn't cover up any trunk "breathing" hole. Is there any way to make the trunk "breathe" more? I was thinking of taking out th BOSE sub and leaving that hole open under the grille to maybe vent some cool air into the trunk from the cabin. But then that means having to re-do all my foam! I have so many scratches from doing that already that it's not something I really want to do. Any other ideas or could it just be the heat down here in the ATL?
Old 08-19-2002 | 02:37 PM

turn ur gain down a little on the amp, i had the same problem with my mtx amp, not a lot just a lil for the summer, cause its hotter in the summer, then when cool weather approaches turn it back up
Old 08-19-2002 | 02:51 PM

Originally posted by ThumpinMaxima
turn ur gain down a little on the amp, i had the same problem with my mtx amp, not a lot just a lil for the summer, cause its hotter in the summer, then when cool weather approaches turn it back up
What about removing the BOSE sub to get some A/C in there sorta? It would be right where my amp is, and I have a feeling it would help some. However, it seems as if they (the installers) are getting the signal from around that area. Would where they need to get the signal from for the new sub be actually attached to the BOSE sub, or could I remove it and still have there what they need for it to get the signal? I'm assuming there's just a plug that plugs into the BOSE sub that I would remove? Just making sure in case I want to give it a go tomorrow morning. I'll give the gain a go though in the meantime. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2002 | 09:15 PM
jmax

Have you tried opening the ski hole? And, out of curiosity, what size and length is your power wire and ground cable?
Old 08-19-2002 | 10:12 PM

Originally posted by jmax
Have you tried opening the ski hole? And, out of curiosity, what size and length is your power wire and ground cable?
Not sure exactly on the length, but 2 guage....unless we're talking about separate things. The ski hole is where I have my amp mounted..well on a piece of board over the ski hole.
Old 08-19-2002 | 11:23 PM
jmax

Originally posted by GetSome681

Not sure exactly on the length, but 2 guage....unless we're talking about separate things. The ski hole is where I have my amp mounted..well on a piece of board over the ski hole.
You have 2 gauge from the battery all the way to the amp? And 2 gauge on the gound as well?
Old 08-19-2002 | 11:28 PM

You have 2 gauge from the battery all the way to the amp? And 2 gauge on the gound as well?
cant forget the battery->ground, and battery->alt too

eric
Old 08-20-2002 | 06:25 AM

Sorry, I didn't do the install myself, but I have looked and know for sure that I have 2 guage coming from the battery to the cap. Then the cap seems grounded underneath the back seat with 2 guage, and then 2 guage from the cap to the amp.

As a side note...anyone ever use a deep cycle battery? I've some good ones are SVR (?) and some other brand with a yellow top. What's the actually brand of that last one?
Old 08-20-2002 | 08:26 AM
jmax

Originally posted by GetSome681

Sorry, I didn't do the install myself, but I have looked and know for sure that I have 2 guage coming from the battery to the cap. Then the cap seems grounded underneath the back seat with 2 guage, and then 2 guage from the cap to the amp.

As a side note...anyone ever use a deep cycle battery? I've some good ones are SVR (?) and some other brand with a yellow top. What's the actually brand of that last one?
I was hoping that this overheating would have been because of too small gauge wireing. But it doesn't sound like it. The only time my amps have overheated in the trunk has been extreme heat combined with a loaded trunk and long drives. Flipping the AC on solved the problem in those cases.

The batteries you mentioned are the Westco SVR and Optima. I prefer the Westco, but it's mostly opinion. http://www.westcobattery.com/#