Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Connect line-level signal to 4th-gen Bose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 11:39 AM

Connect line-level signal to 4th-gen Bose?

I've read just about every thread I can find here (used search, found lots) regarding connecting an aux input to a 4th-generation (1996) Bose head unit. My signal is the sound-card output of a computer. I need to connect this somehow to the Bose head unit, and I'd like to avoid an FM modulator or a cassette adapter if possible (although I will use the cassette adapter if it's my only option).

From the info I've gathered so far, it looks like no adapters currently exist to use the "CD Changer" port in this manner (although feel free to correct me, I'd LOVE it if I could use this).

But I can think of a more direct approach, if the Bose system works the way I think it does. I know each speaker has its own amp. But what does the head unit output, exactly?

If it outputs a line-level signal, and splits it separately to each of the 4 amps... would it be possible to simply splice my signal to these lines, right in the back of the head unit?

Is there a 4th-gen Bose wiring diagram available anywhere? I looked through the FAQ and the forum and can't find one at the moment.

If nothing else, can I keep the Bose head unit AND speakers, but plug in a line-level input, using some other adapter?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:22 PM

I can't help you on the CD changer input port, but i do konw that the Bose headunit outputs a balanced signal, using chassis as the ground. You could go with a balanced preamp to handle that signal, audiocontrol comes to mind. The wiring would really suck.
Old 08-20-2002, 01:05 PM

Alright, I'm a computer geek, but unfortunately not a car audio geek.

What's the difference between a balanced signal and the line signal from a sound card?
Old 08-20-2002, 04:07 PM

Balanced signal actually transmits two signals, the normal audio signal and an inverted signal. Then at the receiving end it adds the two signals together, thus cancelling out any noise. A line level signal simply has a signal and a ground.

There are two types of balanced setups running around, one that uses a third connector on the cable as a common ground and one that uses chassis ground. The later is much more common in car audio. And actually several amplifiers and preamplifiers can handle this signal.

Curious, though, why do you want to hook your computer up to it anyway.
Old 08-21-2002, 06:58 AM

MP3 player, of course.

By the way, last night I bought my first Maxima.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:34 AM

Unless you are really into hacking up the factory radio harness, spending several hours with a soldering iron, and then buying a decent sounding preamp; I really can't think of an easy way of doing what you want. I think you either need to change the head unit or use an RF modulator.
Old 08-21-2002, 10:56 AM

I've never used an RF modulator... would the sound quality suck less with that, or a cassette adapter?
Old 08-21-2002, 11:16 AM

Don't really know about sound quality, but I always hated cassette adapters. The wires always broke and stuff hanging out of your deck. RF modulator is way cleaner, connects to your antanea (sp?) and all is hidden in the back of your head unit.

I am not sure if there are dedicated MP3 players using RF modulators or not. I know that there are CD changes and satellite radio receivers that use this. You cound probably burn the CDs and use a changer.

You might want to do some searching on the internet for a player, if you want to go this route.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:36 AM

Oh, I wasn't aware that something existed to connect physically to the antenna... I just knew of the cheap pathetic short-range FM transmitter things that end up having a range of 3 inches and sound terrible.

Does an RF modulator exist that just has some line inputs? (either by headphone, RCA, or terminals)
Old 08-22-2002, 08:49 AM

Not sure. I think I helped all I can. Godd luck.