Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Whisteling/Squeeking noise coming from speaker when i press gas...help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 12:29 AM

Whisteling/Squeeking noise coming from speaker when i press gas...help!!

This is really weird...I added an amp for my front aftermarket speakers today...the left one i did first and that went fine...did my right one that went fine until i went driving...and then i began to hear whisteling type noise coming from that right speaker area when i would press on the gas. When I would turn the HU off the noise disappears......but when i turn it on and press the gas that whisteling/squeeking noise starts to come back from my right speaker area and gets louder as i accelerate more.

do you guys have any idea what could be causing this???

I'm going to take the door apart tomorrow and see what's going on..but if anyone has any ideas i'd appreciate it.

thanks.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:19 AM

try a different amplifier ground location, see if it helps.. also try to keep the RCA's away from anyhing electrical..

If you have a discman and a 1/8" to RCA adapter cord, try using that as a source (min volume at first, then turn up, don't want to clip the inputs on the amp) and see if the noise disappears..
Old 10-20-2002, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by TL@altimas.net
try a different amplifier ground location, see if it helps.. also try to keep the RCA's away from anyhing electrical..

If you have a discman and a 1/8" to RCA adapter cord, try using that as a source (min volume at first, then turn up, don't want to clip the inputs on the amp) and see if the noise disappears..

yea that is called alternator whine, check ur ground like TL said. it is most likely an RCA that is picking up the noise cause you say it is only comong from your right speaker. also check you speaker connections that t hey are not loose. try the discman idea using new rca cables to the amp...u should notice a change if it is the rca that was picking up noise.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by friendhasmax

yea that is called alternator whine, check ur ground like TL said. it is most likely an RCA that is picking up the noise cause you say it is only comong from your right speaker. also check you speaker connections that t hey are not loose. try the discman idea using new rca cables to the amp...u should notice a change if it is the rca that was picking up noise.
I went to play around with it, and i noticed that the noise would occur if either speaker was connected to amp...so i switches the speakers to ch3&4 from ch1&2, and that greatly helped(its almost unnoticable unless u are trying to listen for it). Also i noticed that if i connect my power wire to "direct battery" instead of just "battery" it goes away completely.

I tried running my ground straight to battery's - terminal, but that didn't help.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by itsgt

I went to play around with it, and i noticed that the noise would occur if either speaker was connected to amp...so i switches the speakers to ch3&4 from ch1&2, and that greatly helped(its almost unnoticable unless u are trying to listen for it). Also i noticed that if i connect my power wire to "direct battery" instead of just "battery" it goes away completely.

I tried running my ground straight to battery's - terminal, but that didn't help.
what amp is this? this is a 4 channel amp running 2 channels? gimme some info on ur setup
Old 10-20-2002, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by friendhasmax

what amp is this? this is a 4 channel amp running 2 channels? gimme some info on ur setup
ok my HU connects to this alpine mrv-f407 4/3/2 ch amp (which powers my front 2 door speakers). Then i run RCA's through full pass into another JVC 2ch amp which powers my subs.

When i used to disconnect the 2 fronts, no noise, when i connected them i got that whisteling noise when i pressed gas. Now its barely there after switching to 3/4 ch.

Is it safe to connect my power wire to "direct battery" ???