Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

HiFonics Vs. JBL amps

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 07:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

HiFonics Vs. JBL amps

Hey guys. A good friend of mine is upgrading his audio system. We don't have a decent shop within 60 miles of us, so he is going to buy it all online and install it himself. He is a contractor, so I am fairly sure he can install everything with little trouble.

He is looking at getting a Class D amp for his subs. He wants everything to be cost effective, so he is looking at lower cost items. Right now, he is trying to compare a JBL 1200.1 and a HiFonics Z1000D. What are your opinions on these amps? The HiFonics is 1 ohm stable, but what about the JBL?

About 8 years ago, HiFonics was some serious stuff. I know they went AWOL for a while, but apparently they are back and running. I have never experienced anything with JBL, so I really don't know how they sound. I am trying to advise him, but I can't advise without some decent input. Y'all got any?
Old 10-21-2002, 11:01 AM

The JBL is also 1 ohm stable. I have the JBL and love it. It's very powerful and looks good too. Runs fairly cool for such a powerful amp. it cost me 285 shipped and havent had a lick of trouble with it.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:35 PM

Alright man. If you want a serious amp that can throw out some serious serious SERIOUS bass, you should try and find yourself a series 6,7 or 8 colossus. Those amps are no joke. What kind of speakers is your boy getting. My brother has 4 15" L7's hooked up to one colossus and his truck is bumpin something rediculious. Go with the old hifonics amps man. No one can compare with them unless you bring in a ppi or something of the sort. For the colossus though he is gonna need some serious wiring, an extra battery and maybe a bigger alternator. If your boy is looking for a series 6-8 colossus. I know of someone that sells really good ones in real good condition for really good prices.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Ramses718
Alright man. If you want a serious amp that can throw out some serious serious SERIOUS bass, you should try and find yourself a series 6,7 or 8 colossus. Those amps are no joke. What kind of speakers is your boy getting. My brother has 4 15" L7's hooked up to one colossus and his truck is bumpin something rediculious. Go with the old hifonics amps man. No one can compare with them unless you bring in a ppi or something of the sort. For the colossus though he is gonna need some serious wiring, an extra battery and maybe a bigger alternator. If your boy is looking for a series 6-8 colossus. I know of someone that sells really good ones in real good condition for really good prices.
We originally looked at the Colossus and Son of Colossus, but they are out of the price range that he is considering.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:37 PM

Well whats your price range?? I am suggesting you buy something used not brand new. Its gonna be very very hard for you to buy a brand new series 6,7, or 8 colossus.
Old 10-22-2002, 09:23 AM

Well whats your price range?? I am suggesting you buy something used not brand new. Its gonna be very very hard for you to buy a brand new series 6,7, or 8 colossus.
He wants to stay under $400 for a 1000+ watt class D amp. He is figuring 2 12 inch subs for $450 or under. Throw in about $200 for wiring and power distribution, $100 on patch cables, $600 for component sets, $500 on a head unit, $400 for an amp for the components, $200 for instalaltion materials, $150 on sound deadening and that about does it. That brings you to the magic # of $3000.

He plans on spending well under that, but that is his cut off limit. He is not going to consider to spend more on amps or subs and cut down on components or anything else. He knows what he wants to spend on each item, and that is it.
Old 10-22-2002, 01:43 PM
mb1

I have the JBL and I love it. The best thing about it is the versatality. It puts out max power between 1-2ohms, where as most amps including hifonics make their power at their lowest resistance. You'll have less of a headache hooking up your subs for max power.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by C-Dawg

He wants to stay under $400 for a 1000+ watt class D amp. He is figuring 2 12 inch subs for $450 or under. Throw in about $200 for wiring and power distribution, $100 on patch cables, $600 for component sets, $500 on a head unit, $400 for an amp for the components, $200 for instalaltion materials, $150 on sound deadening and that about does it. That brings you to the magic # of $3000.

He plans on spending well under that, but that is his cut off limit. He is not going to consider to spend more on amps or subs and cut down on components or anything else. He knows what he wants to spend on each item, and that is it.
OMG Where do you live??? Where are you getting these prices from?? Those are outrageous prices man.I never seen anyone come up with such numbers. The most your gonna spend on cables is like 50 bucks and thats for 4 gauge wires and the other stuff is still to much.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:10 PM

OMG Where do you live??? Where are you getting these prices from?? Those are outrageous prices man.I never seen anyone come up with such numbers. The most your gonna spend on cables is like 50 bucks and thats for 4 gauge wires and the other stuff is still to much.
Quality patch cables by Stinger or Monster Cable are expensive. Power wire is expensive if you get quality wire. He is not looking at buying bottom line stuff.