Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

DAY 2 - MaximaRider's Trunk Saga continued.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 03:21 PM

good reading. i learned something. even after all of that though, i don't think i'll be running a DVC with just one coil. in the article they did not mention anything about harm to the amp. just from thinking about it, i would think it would require more work from the amp to power the single coil being driven. but that's just something i was thinking while i was reading your two posted links.

what i found really interesting was the way a resistor was used to very the Qts. i think i might give that a try with my old punch amp and maybe an mtx sub, should be fun.

jmax, thanks for the info and links.
Old 12-28-2002, 06:46 AM
jmax

The only way it would harm the amp is if the load were too low. Also remember that if you put a resister in line with the coil it will increase your total resistance. This could have something to do with the perceived changes in SQ. I read an article a few days ago about raising speaker impedance to improve the SQ. It was very interesting. Also remember that if you raise the Qts, you increase the required box volume for a particular application. But you would also raise the resonant frequency of the box. Possibly improving overall SPL by giving a larger peak in the lower midbass. If you try it, I would use a variable resister. Like an L-pad. Although the L-pad may not work as intended because I think it has a set resistance for the amp. There might be something about that in the article.

Old 12-28-2002, 08:36 AM

this is some real good stuff. i'm looking more into it, if you have anymore links, could you post them??

do you how we would figure out the box size needed when we change the qts?
Old 12-28-2002, 08:45 AM
jmax

Changing the Qts is what results in the changes in the box response. The sealed box formula's are fairly simple. Determine alpha, ((Qtc / Qts)^2 - 1). Divide Vas by this number for your sealed box requirement. Qtc of 0.707 is regarded as the flat curve most audiophiles desire. A higher Qtc results in a raised midbass response at the expense of less low frequency extension, but higher power handling. A Qtc less than 0.707 has greater low frequency extension and slower roll off. This can be overly boomy in car where we have an average of a 12 db boost at 20 Hz because of the small enclosed space of a vehicle. Many audiophiles enjoy the tighter bass of a big box and the only time you benefit from the greater low frequency extension is with classical music or similar material.

Old 12-28-2002, 08:51 AM

hmm, that's pretty easy to figure out. thanks man.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i just read the past 8 posts and i was laughing by the end, it makes me realize just how much there is to this stuff and how little i know... wow.

the french kid is on his way over today and we are gonna start the finishing touches and work on the strobes today i think.. pics will be up of course.