Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Tweeter hiss

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 06:01 AM

Tweeter hiss

Hey all,

I just installed 2 sets of component speakers (front and rear) and am very happy with the results. However, during quiet parts in a song with the volume up high I can hear a "hiss" coming from the now amplified tweeters (located in the pillars front and rear). I remember the days of the Dolby "B" circuit reduction that could eliminate such a hiss from a tape, but what can I do for my CD?

I don't know if I'm better off turning up the gain on the amps and using a lower volume on the stereo or vice-versa. I don't know if an amp or a head unit has more noise. Oh, just to clarify this isn't engine / alternator noise I'm talking about...luckily I did the install right!

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Old 01-07-2003, 07:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Tweeter hiss

Originally posted by spta97
Hey all,

I just installed 2 sets of component speakers (front and rear) and am very happy with the results. However, during quiet parts in a song with the volume up high I can hear a "hiss" coming from the now amplified tweeters (located in the pillars front and rear). I remember the days of the Dolby "B" circuit reduction that could eliminate such a hiss from a tape, but what can I do for my CD?

I don't know if I'm better off turning up the gain on the amps and using a lower volume on the stereo or vice-versa. I don't know if an amp or a head unit has more noise. Oh, just to clarify this isn't engine / alternator noise I'm talking about...luckily I did the install right!

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Are you using a crossover or equalizer? I had a similar experience a few years ago.

I don't think that you have the same problem, though. If I were you, I would readjust the amplifier gains, they may be set too high. Turn the amplifier gains to the lowest setting, and then run your headunit up to the point that you think you will never go any higher. Leave that setting alone. Now slowly turn up your gain on the amplifier until you start to hear the hiss or any distortion. This should reduce if not elminiate your problem.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:04 PM

Re: Re: Tweeter hiss

Originally posted by C-Dawg

Are you using a crossover or equalizer? I had a similar experience a few years ago.

I don't think that you have the same problem, though. If I were you, I would readjust the amplifier gains, they may be set too high. Turn the amplifier gains to the lowest setting, and then run your headunit up to the point that you think you will never go any higher. Leave that setting alone. Now slowly turn up your gain on the amplifier until you start to hear the hiss or any distortion. This should reduce if not elminiate your problem.
The crossovers I'm using are the ones for the components. I will try playing with the gain, but would it be better to have the gain turned up or the volume on the stereo? I figured that the amps (JL Audio) may be cleaner than the headunit (Kenwood).

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:16 PM

Re: Re: Tweeter hiss

Originally posted by C-Dawg

The crossovers I'm using are the ones for the components. I will try playing with the gain, but would it be better to have the gain turned up or the volume on the stereo? I figured that the amps (JL Audio) may be cleaner than the headunit (Kenwood).

Thanks.