Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Can the Ant. be used to power my Amp???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 08:33 AM

Can the Ant. be used to power my Amp???

I was Given some subs, and now I just need an amp to power em. I'm going to get the crappiest amp, but my question is, can any of the wires from the power antenna (which I have disabled completely) be used to turn on/off, or power my amp???

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by torontomaxima
I was Given some subs, and now I just need an amp to power em. I'm going to get the crappiest amp, but my question is, can any of the wires from the power antenna (which I have disabled completely) be used to turn on/off, or power my amp???

Thanks.
Nope. The antenna is powered only when the radio is on, not the CD player. So when you put a CD in your amp will turn off. You should have a remote turn on lead out the back of the headunit, though.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima Dan
Nope. The antenna is powered only when the radio is on, not the CD player. So when you put a CD in your amp will turn off. You should have a remote turn on lead out the back of the headunit, though.
Oh yeah I forgot to mention... my antenna goes up when my HU is turned on, regardless of if it is on Radio or CD...

So would it be useful in powering or tunring on/off then? if so is the wiring the same - red power, black ground, and blue remote??

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:18 PM

anyone ???
Old 10-07-2003, 05:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For powering the amp, you need to run a seperate power wire from the battery. Since you are already running the power and rca's might as well hook up the remote turn on from the radio
Old 10-07-2003, 07:44 PM

I think I know what you mean buddy. I recently installed my amp also. Do you have the bose HU or aftermarket? If you have an aftermarket HU then you can connect the remote power wire on the amp to the power ant. lead on the HU.
From what you said, even if you are running the bose HU, you should still be able to since you said your power ant. stays up whether your listening to the radio or cd player. So if that is true then you can connect it to the power ant. lead again in this case.

Although, I know when I had the bose hu in my max, when I would play a cd, the power ant. would go down, and therefore you wouldn't be able to connect it to the power ant. lead.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:37 AM

If you are talking about Constant power you definatly need to run seperate wires, do not tap into any antenna wire. If you are talking about remote 12V wire you can tap into the antenna remote wire since you said that it does not matter if you play CD or radio the antenna is active.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dohcser
If you are talking about Constant power you definatly need to run seperate wires, do not tap into any antenna wire. If you are talking about remote 12V wire you can tap into the antenna remote wire since you said that it does not matter if you play CD or radio the antenna is active.
1) Ok so for the ant. remote I can use it since my antenna is up regardless of cd or radio (BTW my HU is aftermarket).

2) for power (12v) source I need to run a separate wire.

Please confrim that this is correct... Thanks.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:07 AM

Yup, and make sure you run at least the same gauge wire for your ground.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:30 AM

1) Ok so for the ant. remote I can use it since my antenna is up regardless of cd or radio (BTW my HU is aftermarket).

2) for power (12v) source I need to run a separate wire.

Please confrim that this is correct... Thanks.
1) Yes (but be aware, your next HU might be different).
2) Yes.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kojiro_FtT
1) Yes (but be aware, your next HU might be different).
2) Yes.

Great Thanks.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thanks.
absolutely, that way when you turn on your radio your amp will turn with it.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:58 PM

One last question: What colour is the wire from the motor Ant. that connects to my deck - I know it's blue from my deck... but I'm not sure what colour it is when it's connecting to the motor ant.

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:56 AM

One last question: What colour is the wire from the motor Ant. that connects to my deck - I know it's blue from my deck... but I'm not sure what colour it is when it's connecting to the motor ant.

Thanks.
Anyone know what colour it is???