Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Thoughts on replacing Bose with XM (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 09:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thoughts on replacing Bose with XM (long)

After replacing the Bose Head unit in my 3rd gen 3 times, I'm going to an aftermarket system. I am looking at the Pioneer DEH2500 single-din head unit, XM ready, with the Pioneer GEXP910 XM receiver box and some sort of antenna. I will use my current Bose speakers with an adaptor. (At least I think...) Cosmetically, I realize I have to patch the leftover double-din gap with a tray or something similar.

Being new at installation, I have questions. The only thing not up for discussion is my choice for XM over Sirius (gotta have my NASCAR).

1) How involved is a glass-mount antenna to install? As it does not require drilling, does it affix with magnets, or does it require finding the edge of the glass (and therefore disrupting the window seal?) 2.) Will the adaptor not only handle the wiring differences but also the change in power between the old and new unit? 3) Does the Pioneer radio, when not in XM mode use the XM antenna to get other stations, or will it continue to use the old antenna? 4) Is it reasonable to do this in parts, first installing the Pioneer head unit, and then going back months later to install the XM box and antenna, and where should I put the XM box?

Thanks- all ideas and advice welcome
Old 10-24-2003, 11:29 AM
You will lose

If you're going to do it, do it right they always say. Forget the pioneer crap and get the Alpine system. No worries on the antenna, it is double sided tape that holds it on, and they work just fine. You can even go with the small "mouse" antenna, and leave it on your rear deck. XM radio is awesome, and so is Sirius, there is great programming on both. But the equipment itself is the reason to go with XM. I'm telling you with all honesty that the Alpine products are the only way to go. Oh, and no the XM antenna does not pull in your locals, however the power antenna is not up when listening to XM. If you are going to do it in steps, all you have to do later is take out the radio and plug in the DIN cable to the radio. Good luck. I can't survive without XM Comedy channel 150.