Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Show Us Whats In Your Trunk...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 06:47 PM

my bad let me repost

yes that shiit pumps
Old 11-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by nismos14
very nice setup 1phtmax too bad no spare haha jk
im working on where to put the spare
Old 11-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Broaner
Pedroboe, I like the idea of mounting the amp. I'm a bit biased though because I used to have mine setup like that. It may be a good way to secure the amp but it can be very bad for depending on the power output. The amps' heat sincs are designed to be upright. Being up-side-down greatly reduces the thermal efficiency of the fins and thus can cause overheating. That said, it doesn't look like an extremely powerful amp so you don't have much to worry about. BTW, just informing you, not picking on or anything. I did the exact same thing just a year ago. I had no idea it was bad until a local radio shop made fun of me.
Thanks broaner, I'll look into that.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:19 PM

I will have more pics up this weekend for now this is my only one. I have pics of my wiring up in the Audio & Electronics Section under fuse? It looks nice I think Tweeter did a good job.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:15 PM

whats behind the great wall

Pics of subs as promised

Pic of the switch that turns subs on or off
Old 11-14-2004, 07:18 PM

ps: tape is marking where the wall is and i just moved some stuff so people can see and because normally the subs point straight up makes the rear deck rattle like no other im testing how i want the subs positioned
Old 11-15-2004, 05:49 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
my bad let me repost

yes that shiit pumps

is there a speaker mounted in the pass through too? whats that all about? pics?
Old 11-15-2004, 05:51 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

generation how does the wall mount in? is it screwed in? or does it just push in
Old 11-15-2004, 09:27 AM

there are 2 screws which go into the rear deck and there are 8 screws that go into the box the box is normally vertical i'll post pics of that tonight if i can
Old 11-15-2004, 08:14 PM

So far I think on this board, only 2 members have nice trunks (in maximas)....

Polo and RVD, correct?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:39 PM

You forgot Jairo(Playero).
Old 11-15-2004, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by MacAlert
You forgot Jairo(Playero).
hmmm...I didn't forget him, he is on the fence with me.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:14 AM
I need a truck

Just because he's on the fence with you doesn't mean you can't give him credit.

Jason's trunk was sweet and so was shavedmax's
Old 11-17-2004, 12:03 PM

Pedroboe,

I was planning on installing the amp the way you did it. But I thought that installing an amp upside down isn't recommended because the heatsinks should always face up as heat rises to the top and is dissipated. Unless your amp is self-cooled by an internal fan.

Anyhow, mine is very simple and very audibly suitable. One sub located at the driver side corner of the back of the trunk firing towards the opposite side (passengerside). I could have sworn that the RF HX2 10" (DVC) sub bumps like my JL15w3 sub at 50hz and below. It's loud enough for me. BTW, the Brahmas are insane!!! I wouldn't be able to stand it either for a long time.

Pics:
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...87_43_full.jpg
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...87_44_full.jpg

I've been playing with the subwoofer placement that is why the trunk panels are still missing when the photos were taken. I still have full use of the trunk.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:23 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by 2DaMax
Pedroboe,

I was planning on installing the amp the way you did it. But I thought that installing an amp upside down isn't recommended because the heatsinks should always face up as heat rises to the top and is dissipated. Unless your amp is self-cooled by an internal fan.

Anyhow, mine is very simple and very audibly suitable. One sub located at the driver side corner of the back of the trunk firing towards the opposite side (passengerside). I could have sworn that the RF HX2 10" (DVC) sub bumps like my JL15w3 sub at 50hz and below. It's loud enough for me. BTW, the Brahmas are insane!!! I wouldn't be able to stand it either for a long time.

Pics:

I've been playing with the subwoofer placement that is why the trunk panels are still missing when the photos were taken. I still have full use of the trunk.

isn't it great how that one speaker pounds so hard? i just got one too and i have it in a tiny box about .55 cubes and i layed it flat on its back in the same spot as ur's but the sub is facing up and it pounds. To me it sounds even better than my old solo baric 15 sounded, its a very very nice and convenient setup since i also can still use my entire trunk, pics will be around soon!
Old 11-18-2004, 10:15 AM

Hey......another HX2 brutha!!!

Yep, speaker placement is key for small subs. I tried your setup (same location as mine) and I got more punchiness in my bass having the sub fire up towards the trunk lid. Then I had it fire forward (towards the seats), I got the same result but with a bit of deepness. Still, I prefer the sub facing the passengerside wall of the trunk. Plenty of deep bass!!! I guess it all depends on the type of music you listen to. I listen to mainly hip/hop, trance, house that's why I wanted deeper bass. The sub is crossed at 80hz which suites me best. The enclosure has an internal volume of .75 cubes.

The only thing I gotta get now is a grille to protect the cone from getting pierced by objects in my trunk. Getting a grille for these subs isn't easy. I might have to get it custom made. The RF grille is about $30, and they're not even sure if the cone will hit it at long excursions.

Originally Posted by nismos14
isn't it great how that one speaker pounds so hard? i just got one too and i have it in a tiny box about .55 cubes and i layed it flat on its back in the same spot as ur's but the sub is facing up and it pounds. To me it sounds even better than my old solo baric 15 sounded, its a very very nice and convenient setup since i also can still use my entire trunk, pics will be around soon!
Old 11-18-2004, 11:21 AM

I wanted deeper bass. The sub is crossed at 80hz which suites me best. .
2DaMAX have you tried 45hz. 80hz is a general crossover point but for hip hop 45hz is earth quaking. i produce hip hop and mixing is my specialty and i love deep clean bass and 45hz has proven worthy to me. what are your mid crossover points.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:43 AM

My system doesn't have an outboard active crossover unit. Everything is done thru the h/u's crossover section, plus the passive crossover network that comes with the Kappa Perfect component sets. The h/u's filtering capability is pretty limited but it serves my purpose enough. For bass, I usually switch back and forth from 80 - 50hz (lowest setting for sub). Most of the time, 80hz cuts it for me. I'm not trying to play for people outside my car. I like to keep things inside so that I can hear my music and feel the bass w/o drawing attention from cops a block away from me. I've done all that back in my early 20's and I'm pretty much done with that phase. The h/u's high-pass filter is set to 125hz (highest setting). Then I compensate that thru the built-in parametric eq of the h/u's midrange section. I can attenuate 125hz a bit since that might be too much for the mids to take, and bring up some at the 200hz range and so on. I get good sound out of this old Pioneer h/u , its all based on individual preferences. Some people like to tweek things to the T and they require more components to do so. I'm just keeping things simple.

Originally Posted by C MAX
2DaMAX have you tried 45hz. 80hz is a general crossover point but for hip hop 45hz is earth quaking. i produce hip hop and mixing is my specialty and i love deep clean bass and 45hz has proven worthy to me. what are your mid crossover points.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:07 PM

My system doesn't have an outboard active crossover unit. Everything is done thru the h/u's crossover section, plus the passive crossover network that comes with the Kappa Perfect component sets. The h/u's filtering capability is pretty limited but it serves my purpose enough. For bass, I usually switch back and forth from 80 - 50hz (lowest setting for sub). Most of the time, 80hz cuts it for me. I'm not trying to play for people outside my car. I like to keep things inside so that I can hear my music and feel the bass w/o drawing attention from cops a block away from me. I've done all that back in my early 20's and I'm pretty much done with that phase. The h/u's high-pass filter is set to 125hz (highest setting). Then I compensate that thru the built-in parametric eq of the h/u's midrange section. I can attenuate 125hz a bit since that might be too much for the mids to take, and bring up some at the 200hz range and so on. I get good sound out of this old Pioneer h/u , its all based on individual preferences. Some people like to tweek things to the T and they require more components to do so. I'm just keeping things simple.
50 hz is fine also. and like you i dont play for the block either. i have over 300lbs of dynamat in the car and the bass stays inside just the way i like it. but you said you like your bass deep 45hz is deep not loud. like i stated im a engineer so i do have the tendency to get critical with tuning but it sounds like you know what your talking about and i love pioneer best product for the money.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the input. Yes you are right, when I switch down to 50hz, I get sick deep bass!!!

50 hz is fine also. and like you i dont play for the block either. i have over 300lbs of dynamat in the car and the bass stays inside just the way i like it. but you said you like your bass deep 45hz is deep not loud. like i stated im a engineer so i do have the tendency to get critical with tuning but it sounds like you know what your talking about and i love pioneer best product for the money.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the input. Yes you are right, when I switch down to 50hz, I get sick deep bass!!!
its funny my younger brother use to wonder why i always change things up and after i do it he realizes, its not about loud its about frequencies. 50hz is the best setting for a low note. i too am getting to old for the bang bang been there done that but quality sound i would take any day. that speaker you have looks like it could hit some pretty decent notes.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:40 PM

Oh yea it does....I popped in a Crystal Method cd right after installing the sub. I know my sub sounds right when I like the bass notes coming from it when playing that cd. If the 10's does this, I can only imagine what the 12's can do.

its funny my younger brother use to wonder why i always change things up and after i do it he realizes, its not about loud its about frequencies. 50hz is the best setting for a low note. i too am getting to old for the bang bang been there done that but quality sound i would take any day. that speaker you have looks like it could hit some pretty decent notes.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:25 PM

CMAX you havent told us what your new setup is going to be
Old 11-18-2004, 04:49 PM

BTW, the Brahmas are insane!!! I wouldn't be able to stand it either for a long time.
Gotta love the Brahmas
Old 11-18-2004, 06:43 PM
Sanduguero

Originally Posted by Igor911

Can you post your set up.... I have not seen any pictures
Old 11-18-2004, 06:47 PM
Sanduguero

Originally Posted by Conrad283
Just because he's on the fence with you doesn't mean you can't give him credit.

Jason's trunk was sweet and so was shavedmax's

Conrad coming up in March I am ripping the whole trunk apart with a New Setup!!! Let see if he feels am on the fence with him still ....

I am getting ready for summer again.....

No flame intended Igor
Old 11-18-2004, 07:13 PM

You all can let me know when you tear up yer trunks, if you have any surplus amps or subs in good condition. I'm getting a new SUV next spring!
Old 11-18-2004, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Playero
Conrad coming up in March I am ripping the whole trunk apart with a New Setup!!! Let see if he feels am on the fence with him still ....

I am getting ready for summer again.....

No flame intended Igor
You want pics, eh? I'm not showing any pics untill its 101% finished...about another month or so.

Just off the top of my head, im gonna have about 36 12" Cold Cathode tubes in the whole setup...

and I wasn't flaming u, i was talking about ppl who have trunks that make u say "wow". I'm entitled to my own opinion.

What are u planning to redo in your setup?
Old 11-19-2004, 05:00 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

and i have a pioneer head unit too lol i have mine crossed over a bit higher because i also listen to all sorts of different music and it suits me perfectly!
Old 11-19-2004, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
CMAX you havent told us what your new setup is going to be
what up ant. right now i picked up the alpine V12 4 channel for the mids and highs, and im gonna go with 2 12 in L7 kickers with either the arc 900.1 or the zapco 850 watt amp and another lighting cap 1 farad for the subs. i still have the alpine deck and electronic crossover which they didnt get. im gonna go back with the infinity kappa perfects for the mids and highs and then have it custom built into the trunk like before. the car is in the body shop right now so maybe by next week i can begin the work. hows your system holding up.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:57 AM

You want pics, eh? I'm not showing any pics untill its 101% finished...about another month or so.

Just off the top of my head, im gonna have about 36 12" Cold Cathode tubes in the whole setup...

and I wasn't flaming u, i was talking about ppl who have trunks that make u say "wow". I'm entitled to my own opinion.

I hope its sounds good, trunks that say 'wow' and sounds like shyt are for the birds...
Old 11-19-2004, 07:20 AM

So far I think on this board, only 2 members have nice trunks (in maximas)....

Polo and RVD, correct?
I didn't know Polo's trunk was finished......
Old 11-19-2004, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
I didn't know Polo's trunk was finished......
Polo's trunk will never be finished....
Old 11-19-2004, 09:54 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

On the fence? I surely hope you talking about Strictly looks rather than products......

--Don
Old 11-19-2004, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
On the fence? I surely hope you talking about Strictly looks rather than products......

--Don
Yes, looks.

I'll quote myself
i was talking about ppl who have trunks that make u say "wow".
Old 11-19-2004, 12:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Pedroboe,

Pics:

Thanks for the Tip 2DAMAX, I'm gonna try the same setup you have.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Sanduguero

Something Different and louder! Hopefuly I wont have a new car by then...if I get a good deal on a G35 then the project goes straight to the garbage.....
Old 11-19-2004, 09:44 PM

WTF is a 12" cold cathode tube! I've never heard of a tube rated by length. Also any car amp is a hybrid tube amp that uses a solid state final output stage. The tubes are only 2-3 inches long.

I think there are a few trunks on here that sound a hell of a lot better than the two that you mentioned. Mine included, but I'm not showin' any pics. Last thing I need is some idiot jacking my stuff.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima Dan
WTF is a 12" cold cathode tube! I've never heard of a tube rated by length. Also any car amp is a hybrid tube amp that uses a solid state final output stage. The tubes are only 2-3 inches long.

I think there are a few trunks on here that sound a hell of a lot better than the two that you mentioned. Mine included, but I'm not showin' any pics. Last thing I need is some idiot jacking my stuff.
wtf are u talking about?

Try google for "cold cathode"...and I'm sure someone is dying to copy off of your trunk.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:21 AM

wtf are u talking about?

Try google for "cold cathode"...and I'm sure someone is dying to copy off of your trunk.
You should have just called them Neons, when I think of tubes as they relate to audio I'm thinking of this: http://store1.yimg.com/I/yhst-847648...0_1820_6475984

Now if you could put a dozen of those in your trunk it would be much cooler than some crappy neon.

And yeah, I'm not posting pics because I'm worried someone will copy me. I could care less about that, just don't want anyone actually stealing my stuff.

Quick Reply: Show Us Whats In Your Trunk...