Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

looking to buy a system, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 07:31 PM

Asu- you think those speakers are a good choice?
Old 12-11-2003, 08:18 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

I'd check the mounting depth on those CDTs. They are killer speakers, but I was going to order a set but couldn't because they were too deep for my doors.

As far as the Infinitis go, I have a set of the exact same speakers sitting on my desk waiting to be installed. They have a shallow mounting depth and a pretty good range of power handling. They can be used with or without an amp.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:15 PM
jmax

I see it this way, it's my car. Sure friends can ride in it a lot of the time. No problem there. But they can't enjoy a front sound stage any better than you if you get an amp for the rear speakers. The rear speakers are about 6 inches behind their heads. Not like they need more than 1/10 of a watt. Go ahead and measure the power going to your rear speakers when there are rear passnegers listening at a comfortable level if you honestly don't believe me. Despite how many friends you think you have because they like loud music it's still your car and you are still the driver and the one who pays the insurance, taxes etc. It's better to build a system that sounds good to you with or without your friends in the vehicle. The first thing 99% of decent installers do when they buy a new car is turn the fader all the way forward. Second is that they throw away the rear speakers. They are worthless. When you go to a concert are you listening to the conversation behind you or the music in front of you. If you don't want to pretend to have any intelligennce at least pretend to have some common sense. I am sorry if I have insulted you but obvious bad advice is annoying. This person wants to put music in his or her vehicle. Let them do it in a way that can sound good and loud instead of just loud.

Stage should be in front of the listeners. Therefore front stage speakers should play clean more loudly than the rear. Rear is for ambience only and there is plenty reflection off the rear glass for all the ambience a listener needs.

Old 12-11-2003, 10:28 PM

You guys have your rear speakers in the back?
Mine are are in the door panels, first. Second, in MY case, it is very possible I will be doing 5.1 channel audio, so 4 speakers and a sub is a requirement.

Tell me this then, how come stock audio still has speakers in the back? Bad or good, I think that rear speakers are a must no matter what. It doesn't make anything worse if you install speakers in the back, it actually makes it complete. In my case I only have front ones hooked up right now, but will be getting rear ones installed shortly anyway. But that's just my case.

Then again, I think maxima is a little too big for just a pair of components. It needs a little more.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:01 PM
jmax

99% of professionals in audio will tell you that the rear speakers have very little benefit. Also that it is much easier to mess up the sound stage with rears than without. Have you read any books written by competent people on proper audio reproduction? Do you subscribe to any audio video magazines or journals? The full rear speaker affect can be produced with the reflection off the back wall, back window, whatever of the properly set up front speakers.

I too am setting up a 5.1 system for the car. But rear speakers are the last thing on my list of things to install. They aren't needed. I may not install them at all when it comes right down to it. I have heard and read about too many problems caused by rear speakers. A great 5.1 system can be done with just the three front and the sub. An even better system needs only the front left and right and the sub. If you can't achieve a phantom center with just your front speakers you need to go back to the drawing board for a while before you consider anything more complex. You can't just stick speakers anywhere, hook up and amp and expect it to sound good.

Old 12-11-2003, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by jmax
99% of professionals in audio will tell you that the rear speakers have very little benefit. Also that it is much easier to mess up the sound stage with rears than without. Have you read any books written by competent people on proper audio reproduction? Do you subscribe to any audio video magazines or journals? The full rear speaker affect can be produced with the reflection off the back wall, back window, whatever of the properly set up front speakers.

I too am setting up a 5.1 system for the car. But rear speakers are the last thing on my list of things to install. They aren't needed. I may not install them at all when it comes right down to it. I have heard and read about too many problems caused by rear speakers. A great 5.1 system can be done with just the three front and the sub. An even better system needs only the front left and right and the sub. If you can't achieve a phantom center with just your front speakers you need to go back to the drawing board for a while before you consider anything more complex. You can't just stick speakers anywhere, hook up and amp and expect it to sound good.
I think you're going way too deep, my friend. No, I don't subscribe to any of those magazines, basically because I don't consider myself an expert/pro and not even trying to be one. Since I am not a pro I could really care less about reflecting sound from the rear window. In my case (and in many other people's too) it is much easier to go with a full set of for speaker, front + rear without reading so much material and subscribing to numerous magazines and such. I really thing that besides complication and that professional stuff, there are also cost, time and simlicity issues. No, I'm not saying it's better to be simple then professional, sometime it's just not very efficient.
So we're done with the theory.

Now the practical stuff.
I've heard some number of setups with all components, front components + rear coaxial, or just components (in my car acutally). Well, what can I say, of course, all component system sounded a little more complete, but mine sounded better due to better speakers and amp. So, once again, it all comes down to personal preference and financial/time capabilities. Whatever those pro's are doing doesn't concern me much since my car is no sound competition car and i'm just trying to fit my needs. Also, I'm trying to help other to get what could be right for them without it costing a fortune and taking forever to tune. But enough said about me, let's get back on this topic.

PS: jmax, you still didn't answer my question, why do stock audio systems still come with rear speakers? Even the high-level ones like Bose and such? And I have another question. I've never seen anybody winning any competitions with just front set of speakers, have you? If yes, can you post some links?
Old 12-12-2003, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by carabuser
PS: jmax, you still didn't answer my question, why do stock audio systems still come with rear speakers? Even the high-level ones like Bose and such? And I have another question. I've never seen anybody winning any competitions with just front set of speakers, have you? If yes, can you post some links?
1. Cars come with rear speakers because consumers are generally oblivious to SQ and just want it to be "loud". Rear speakers are horrible for sound staging, but Joe consumer generally couldn't care less.
2. Almost EVERY winning SQ vehicle has no rear speakers. If they do, they have the fader cranked all the way to the front ones anyhow.

Personally, in my Maxima, I use rear speakers, but fade to the front 75%. Rear fill in a large sedan couldn't hurt.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:59 AM
jmax

RC's record holding, never beaten grand national used a pair of components in the front and sub in the back. Nothing else.

I didn't realize it was a serious question. The many answers are obvious. Use your ears to decide which applies most appropriately for yourself.

Why is it cheaper or simpler to purchase twice as many speakers, an amp with twice as many channels and then run twice as many speaker wires, etc? Ever hear of a library? Sorry, my mom is a librarian so I grew up ina library. It's in my nature to read and thus educate myself so that I can have things that are nicer than others for less money, etc. An hour of reading can cut a complicated install by 100 hours or more, easy.

Old 12-13-2003, 02:52 PM

I do plan to buy rear speakers, but will fade them more to front, especially with people in the back seats. A 4 channel amp would be fine, might as well get what I can out of them.
Old 12-13-2003, 03:24 PM

for subs and amp... 1 jl audio 10 or 12 inch w6v2 w/ an audiobahn a8000t amp = very very nice and affordable
Old 12-14-2003, 02:49 PM

I was planning on JL audio for when I got my subs, wasn't sure about amp tho.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:00 PM

JL Audio is overpriced and overrated. Check out www.edesignaudio.com or www.adireaudio.com for the best bang for the buck as far as subwoofers go.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:14 PM

I'm still planning out subs, they are second priority though. Planning speakers first. Thanks for the links.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:15 PM

for edesigns
Old 12-20-2003, 11:10 AM

b u m p . . .
Old 12-20-2003, 11:33 AM
jmax

Need to pick the subs and the enclosure before you pick an amp. There are about 100 or more amps that will work great for any appication in car audio.

Old 12-20-2003, 11:37 AM

Not looking for subs yet though, just need an amp for the speakers. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:44 AM
jmax

I would go with a 2 channel amp for the front speakers. Choose how much money you can devote and decide if you are willing to buy used or only new with warranty.

25 - 300 watts per channel RMS is what I would use for the front channel speakers. There is a big range because I wanted to cover the majority of systems that might sound decent.

Old 12-23-2003, 04:14 PM

Will it make a lot of difference if I don't have an amp for the rear versus having one? The price shouldn't be that much of an issue.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:24 PM

For you (the driver) it won't. For rear passingers probably a little (espicially if you plan to fade it to fronts anyway)
Old 12-23-2003, 05:29 PM

That is true. 2 Channel Amp would probably do. Thanks for the help.

Anyone have any ideas on speakers? Are the CDT Audio CL61 any good for the front?
Old 12-24-2003, 07:38 AM
jmax

I have heard good things about the CDT speakers but I have not heard them myself. It is best to listen to speakers yourself.

Old 12-24-2003, 06:08 PM

Yea, I'm going to try to find someone who has them or listen to them in a store just to get an idea. If anyone has heard them or has them, please post and tell me how they sound. Thanks J.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:10 PM

What do you guys think of these?

Rockford Fosgate 6-1/2" 3-Way Car Speakers Model: FRC4306

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03076

They are pretty cheap and don't seem too bad to me.

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:33 PM

b u m p . . .
Old 01-01-2004, 06:56 PM
jmax

They are speakers. You have to listen to them with your ears, not ours.