Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Sub with Bose system???

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 06:39 PM
G

Sub with Bose system???

im lookin at getting an Infinity Basslink X subwoofer (with built in amp) and i was wondering if the BOSE unit has an output for a subwoofer. thanx

-todd
Old 01-01-2004, 06:45 PM

dought it but i really dont know anything about the bse system
Old 01-01-2004, 08:14 PM
ABK

I haven't done it yet but what you do is, buy a special thing that allows you to hook up to back speakers and convert the signal that it could be put in to the amplifier for the subs, and everything else is just as usual

BTW you can get the thing at crutchfield here is a link it took me 10 minutes to find:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=1&cc=01&avf=Y

BOSE system kicks *** I can't wait until I hear mine with the sub in there!!!
Old 01-01-2004, 08:17 PM
G

awesome thanks for the help. ill try it out.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:46 AM

I did actually hook my bose up to my subs. It works and all but my subs really dont hit the way I would want them too. I know they can work better because I had them in my previous car. I have a few things to check out, like it might be my ground or somthing, or it might just be the fact that I used the walmart version of the speaker level converter. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:50 AM
G

cool thanks. let me know if you find a way to make the bose work fully with the subs to their potential. ill try some different things and let you know too.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaTodd
cool thanks. let me know if you find a way to make the bose work fully with the subs to their potential. ill try some different things and let you know too.
I am hoping that it is my ground, it looks like it might be bad soo its a good possiblity, althought i talked to someone i know in the bestbuy install department and he was saying there isnt much you can do to make it sound all that great. Guess ill just have to find out by redoin the ground (if i can ever find time to, lol).
Old 01-04-2004, 11:50 AM

I've connected aan amp and a sub to the factory bose on a 2K max. The best way to do this is with a line driver. The link above is for a converter. It won't sound great with the stock bose h/u because the signal is not amplifies and is too weak. A line driver, as opposed to a line converter, will actually fix the signal coming from the bose head unit and provide high voltage RCA outputs. Plus, there is a special harness that allows you to do all of this without cutting into any of the factory wiring. The unit is a AudioLink PD2 (2 channel) and PD4 (4 channel). Check it out at http://www.linkmeup.com
Old 01-04-2004, 04:11 PM
G

very nice. thanks for the help. that unit is a little pricey, but hey its gonne let me have a sub with the bose so its worth it. i appreciate your help!

-todd
Old 01-04-2004, 10:53 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

u dont need to use a line out converter. just use the wires u would use and splice them directly into a set of rca's and use those as low level inputs. worked perfectly on my basslink, and works great on my current setup
Old 01-05-2004, 07:22 AM

Read the FAQ. Your answer is inside it.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by maxu4ia
I've connected aan amp and a sub to the factory bose on a 2K max. The best way to do this is with a line driver. The link above is for a converter. It won't sound great with the stock bose h/u because the signal is not amplifies and is too weak. A line driver, as opposed to a line converter, will actually fix the signal coming from the bose head unit and provide high voltage RCA outputs. Plus, there is a special harness that allows you to do all of this without cutting into any of the factory wiring. The unit is a AudioLink PD2 (2 channel) and PD4 (4 channel). Check it out at http://www.linkmeup.com
maxu4ia, does the line driver actually work well enogh that the subs perform at thier full potential? I just wanted to know because i am thinking about getting it but i want to be sure that it is worth it before i spend the money on it cuz u know its a good chunk of change.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:10 AM

I used line output converters from best buy, they work great! My subs actually hit harder than in my old car, but I imagine it is mostly due to the great insulation of a maxima versus a ford probe. I bought mine at Best Buy and they had two different kinds, I was directed to buy the larger one, and they have them out in the custom install bay. The tech says that the small one is weak. I got mine setup from info in the faq and it works great.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:48 AM

Just last night, I helped a buddy install an eq/line driver in his truck. Line drivers are always the best choice when it comes to getting the most out of your components. The stronger the signal is before it goes to the amplifier, the better the amplifier will work and the better the sound will be.

As for gto400no1's question, to make your subs work at their potential, you have to change the headunit to one with high voltage RCA outputs. The line driver I recommended is your best choice if you want to keep the original Bose headunit.

Do a search for that unit on google and you may find it cheaper somewhere else.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the help. And by the way Skyboarder, do u still use the stock head unit?