Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Battery in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 07:19 PM

Battery in trunk

If you have a turbo kit you have to move the battery in the trunk so how can I have a sub or two and a amp in the trunk altogether.

If anyone has pic's that will help.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:22 PM

One last thing can you put a 8 or a 10 sub under the front seats?
Old 01-18-2004, 09:20 PM

just check out all the pics of guys with nitrous since the bottle takes more room than a battery.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:27 PM
jmax

Well, from an audio or electrical perspective there is no good reason to have the battery in the trunk. The battery can still fit under the hood with a turbo. You may just have to parallel a pair of smaller batteries. And definitely need to move them to a different spot. But it definitely can and should stay under the hood.

If you put it in the trunk you need to vent above the battery. All batteries installed in a room or car must be vented to allow the gasses to escape / disipate. You also must use battery cables large enough to carry the 120 amps from the alternator to the battery. Then you need cables large enough to carry the current for the starter back to the hood for the starter. Also to the fuse box for every other electrical item in the car. And you have to worry about charging currents travelling across the entire chassis.

Old 01-18-2004, 10:33 PM
jmax

Originally Posted by CiViC KiLLeR

You would need a very narrow sub. It could probably be done by raising hte seats 1-2 inches. There is no need to put a sub under the seat because low bass is omni-directional.

Old 01-18-2004, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the help. I am not going to do the subs under the seats.The battery will stay in the engine bay somewhere.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:52 PM

Oh you'd be surprised what you can do. Doesn't Blaupunkt make a REALLY thin woofer? It's looks like a tamborine. It may be some other brand.

Also, you could make an aperiodic enclosure that vents under the car. It would be quite complicated at best.

An even better place would be under your front feet.

As jmax suggested, though, there's no real NEED to put a sub up front. You could conceivably do it, but it's not just a matter of building a box and presto!

Tony
Old 01-18-2004, 10:55 PM

It will vibrate if you put a sub up front and that is what I am looking for.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:59 PM

It will vibrate if you put a sub up front and that is what I am looking for.
Vibrate????

Here's the sub I was talking about:

Tony
Old 01-18-2004, 11:06 PM

I want the seats to hit with bass. A guy I know has a kit the moves the seats when the bass hits .
Old 01-18-2004, 11:11 PM

I want the seats to hit with bass. A guy I know has a kit the moves the seats when the bass hits .
Those are Aura Bass Shakers if I remember correctly. If I'm correct, they don't make any bass at all, just vibrate. I understand what you mean now.

Just so you know, a real sub vibrates even more than a bass shaker and the vibrations are called bass.

Tony
Old 01-18-2004, 11:17 PM

Well I got to looking and I do not want subs under the seats I will just get a one 15 sub in the trunk.

Thanks for all the help Tony.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:18 PM

vibrating seats
Old 01-18-2004, 11:21 PM

That is what I was thanking Nismo. I thank the my girl whould like that to much. (JoKe)
Old 01-20-2004, 08:58 AM
jmax

My feeling, no pun intended, is htat what you are after is a port that fires under the seat tuned in the low 30 Hz range.

As Tony pointed out, there are far easier ways to make the whole car shake. My wifes entire car shakes with a 10 inch sub in the trunk in a small sealed box.

An eight or ten can fit under the factory seat. But it won't be able to provide it's best performance. The response curve of the enclosure would most likely be affected by the large narrow section under the seat. Also the sub wouldn't be able to move much before hitting the bottom of the seat. Last on my list is the fact that the seat cushion is an acoustically absorbent material.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:30 PM
You will lose

I once put two 6 1/2" subs under the seat of a Porsche 911, and it wasn't that bad. But you will be better off with a 15 in the trunk for sure. I can say with absolute honesty though, that the bass shakers are the coolest thing ever. I built a car for the IASCA circuit a few years ago that used bass shakers for low frequency during the RTA in stead of his overpowering subs. The "shakers" use a voice coil to pound against a cork surface that is mounted to the floor of the car. You had to cut the carpet away to make sure it was mounted to the body, and it made the whole floor of the car produce the low frequencies. I wish I could find a set of the old Alpine versions of the bass shakers.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:38 PM

First of all, you can fit the battery and a sub in the rear i mean come on, bmw's come this way.

But as for putting the sub underthe seat, where you gonna put the enclosure?

Basically you'd have to cut the car and build one under it...You really wanna do that?

But in the end bro, do a bit of custom work and you can get the amps, caps, battery, nitrous, bad of chips, and some laundry in the trunk.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:49 AM

I run a battery up front and one in the trunk..I built my own box for the trunk battery and sealed around all wires..the box is air tight, and it has a vent tube (3/8 O.D. vinyl) that comes out the top and runs outside the car via a hole in one of the drain plugs in the spare tire well..theres a pic on my cardomain site under the trunk page..I've since moved it to the left side of the car and mounted the box to the sides of the trunk with "L" brackets..in my trunk I have two 10's in a medium sealed enclosure..I still have enough room to fit the spare (not in the spare tire well, but in the trunk itself..the spare well is full of wires), my tool box, and a few other things in the trunk of my '92..I have some cheapo Roadmaster 8" subs that, with some creative box building, would fit under the seats of a 3rd gen, but I don't know about any other years..I built the first boxes for them wrong, and haven't felt like designing the right ones..for awhile I had them in boxes that BARELY covered the subs and sitting on the back floorboard..the first boxes had five 1" holes drilled in each box to allow the sub to function..I think the new enclosures, if I get around to designing/building them, will have 2 larger ports instead of 5 small ones, and they will be longer and wider, but shorter..my ultimate goal would be to have two 10s and one 15 in the trunk, an 8" sub under each seat, and 6 3/4" subs in the rear deck to handle the midbass, 5.25" midrange in the kickpanels, 6.5" midrange in the factory door location, and some 3.5" upper midrange in the storage tray on the doors..and of course 2 or 3 pairs of tweeters so no passengers ended up with their heart beating to the rythm of a song without the ringing in their ears...but, that would be a LOT of custom work, and I don't have the time/money to do it...although it would be really fun to try..
Old 01-24-2004, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Golden Ice
my ultimate goal would be to have two 10s and one 15 in the trunk, an 8" sub under each seat, and 6 3/4" subs in the rear deck to handle the midbass, 5.25" midrange in the kickpanels, 6.5" midrange in the factory door location, and some 3.5" upper midrange in the storage tray on the doors..and of course 2 or 3 pairs of tweeters so no passengers ended up with their heart beating to the rythm of a song without the ringing in their ears...but, that would be a LOT of custom work, and I don't have the time/money to do it...although it would be really fun to try..
What exact results are you trying to acheive by having such a redundant number of speakers? Very unnecessary. You could get much better results by using less speakers and better placement/installation.

Tony
Old 01-25-2004, 09:04 AM
jmax

Originally Posted by max'n out
First of all, you can fit the battery and a sub in the rear i mean come on, bmw's come this way.

But in the end bro, do a bit of custom work and you can get the amps, caps, battery, nitrous, bad of chips, and some laundry in the trunk.
And, that is the exact reason that BMW's have such a long history of audio noise problems. Send the AC ripple to the battery in the trunk. Then ground your amps at the same point that all the AC ripple is entering the battery, good idea BMW.

My guess is that Golden Ice is not trying to build a system with any sort of imaging. Ever notice that the cars with the fewest speakers win the most competitions? Don't forget to consider wave theory and air pressure when installing speakers.

Old 01-25-2004, 09:56 AM

I'm not sure why you bring up the noise thing, as I was talking about space which is what this really came down too. But all the german cars come with the battery at the opisite end of the car from the engine.

Whats this with the imaging, I didnt say anything about that?

Yeah the fewest do tend to win, I ran 5. Whats this have to do with space?

With all that said, to reply to your coments, my bmw really has a small amount of noise, it sucks, but it is very small, yet ive heard many german cars once upgraded, with NO noise. ANd other cars that had moved their battery to the back with NO noise.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:27 AM
jmax

No noise is the only way to build a car audio system.

The rest of the comments were directed toward the member that wants about 45 speakers in the car. Proper imaging is second to noise. Without those two nailed down skip the competitions and get it back in the garage for more work.

Old 01-26-2004, 11:49 PM

Maxima's have pretty big trunks. You'd be surprised by how much fits back there. All this is dependent on how much trunk space you're willing to part with though.

My battery is back there, it has to be, the way we did my custom turbo, the turbo itself sits where the battery is and the filter itself almost touches the fusebox nex to the battery.

And with my current setup we're working on, I've got the battery back there right behind the passthrough. 0 gauge wiring with an Optima red top. Then the 12"s in a fiberglass enclosure. 2 10lb nitrous bottles on each side and there are also 3 JBL amps on custom racks behind the subs but in front of the battery. Not much trunk room left though. The 4th JBL amp, 1200.1 is sitting on my rear deck inside the car. Right now we're working on CNC'ing the frame/brackets that fit on the center section of the rear seat to hold the PS2, 7.2" monitor, and 3 caps.

Not built to compete, just for my personal enjoyment.

If you have a turbo kit you have to move the battery in the trunk so how can I have a sub or two and a amp in the trunk altogether.

If anyone has pic's that will help.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:58 PM
jmax

I'll also point out that a battery benefits from placement under the hood. The heat of the engine allows it to charge more fully. It is rare to find a fully charged battery in the trunk. And we all should know that if it isn't fully charged then the alternator is working to charge it. If the alt is sending 10 amps or more to the less than fully charged battery you have that much less current for the stereo. The resistance in the wire between the alt and the battery and the ground return also presents a less than optimal auto electrical situation.

You can fit a pair of half stock sized batteries around the intake plumbing for the turbo. And there are a few other nooks and cranies under the hood that you havn't investigated.