Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Flip-up faceplates - theft target?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 09:35 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

Flip-up faceplates - theft target?

The faceplate on my Kenwood h/u flips down to reveal the CD slot, and can then be flipped over so the buttons face inwards and it shows just a blank plate to anyone looking in.

Is this likely to make it a theft target? Will theives know it's a nice h/u when they see the blank plate, or will they think the faceplate have been removed etc?

I coudl take the faceplate off every time I get out the car but that's a hassle. Just flipping the faceplate over is much easier.

EDIT:
Or maybe I could put some yellow diagonal stripes on the back of the faceplate so that when it's flipped over it looks like the faceplate is removed?
Old 02-05-2004, 09:57 AM

your being ****, if they want something they'll take it, doesn't matter what you got....if you want to prevent anything buy a good alarm.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:43 PM

I have a Kenwood headunit also that rotates the whole face to a black panel. I never remove the faceplate because it's such a hassle replacing it everytime I get in the car. Like someone said before, no matter what you have, the thief is going to take whatever you have. Invest in a good alarm, or if you are real parenoid of someone stealing your stereo, set a four digit code on the head unit. If someone steals it, it's relatively worthless to them because it's impossible to power the unit without the code.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by wojowojo16
your being ****, if they want something they'll take it, doesn't matter what you got....if you want to prevent anything buy a good alarm.
...A thief that really wants it wont care about an alarm either

You get a $500+ fine here if your alarm goes off for more than 5 min without proof that somone broke in/tried to break into your car..alarms go off here and no one looks at the car..they look at a watch and at 5 min they report the violation...car alarms are a peace disturbance, and are treated as such around here
Old 02-05-2004, 10:46 PM

I left my face on, I got a window smashed. he didnt seal anything since he tried to unlock the door from the smashed window and the stock alarm went off.

If my HU face was taken off im shure that stupid kid or whoever, wouldnt take the time to break a window if he didnt see anything worth taking. Pretty shure he was after my HU since theres nothing else in the car but the HU and face
Old 02-05-2004, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Golden Ice
...A thief that really wants it wont care about an alarm either

You get a $500+ fine here if your alarm goes off for more than 5 min without proof that somone broke in/tried to break into your car..alarms go off here and no one looks at the car..they look at a watch and at 5 min they report the violation...car alarms are a peace disturbance, and are treated as such around here
true, if they really wanted it they will get it but Im talking about small time robbers that dont know jack about alarms so im thinking that this kid or crackhead probably bumped my car a few times to check if theres an alarm and heard no warning chirps since I had a stock alarm back then so he assumed it was unarmed and went for it.