Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Thinking about a remote start alarm. 6-spd

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 08:01 PM

Thinking about a remote start alarm. 6-spd

Viper 791XV has a 2 way pager with remote start. I read a few months ago that the computer on my '02 had a neutral sensor.

Has anyone installed one of these?
Old 07-06-2004, 11:38 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

green/white under the intake in a wire loom next to the block. Yes Ive done quite a few....

--Don
Old 07-06-2004, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
green/white under the intake in a wire loom next to the block. Yes Ive done quite a few....

--Don

Don, thanks for the quick answer.

I have 3 follow up questions to either you or anyone else who wants to chime in.

1. So if the wire for neutral on the 6spd 2002 is under the hood, is it safe to assume that the sensor is in the transmission case and not in the center console? Is it a PITA to locate?

2. Is the Viper 791XV with 2 way remote a good system for my car? If not, what do you recommend? I live in Texas and park my car outside more than I would like to. When I climb in during the summer, it is very hot and I'd like to be able to safely start my car and cool off the interior before getting in. I also like the 2 way system that lets me know if my car is being tampered with.

3. Is this a difficult install for a Do it Yourselfer? I have installed radios, amps, speakers, door lock actuators so I am moderately handy when it comes to car audio stuff. I can pick up this system on ebay for a reasonable price.

Note: I have read that if I purchase the DEI system, I will need to purchase a 555U for the vehicle immobilization as well.

Thanks very much for your help.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:23 PM

1) It is very simple to locate especially if you have an intake already. Call/email me if you need help.

2) My best selling alarm as well as what I personally use. I do have everything else (Compustar,Omega,Autopage,prestige,Codealarm,etc) available and still go with the Viper.

3) You will need the 556U, the 555 has been disontinued. Keep in mind though...DEI doesnt NOT allow DIY installs of the Viper,Clifford,Python lines. You will recieve absolutely no warranty from them or any dealers regardless of what online stores say. Especially if installed on a manual transmission vehicle.

--Don
732-921-9046
Old 07-07-2004, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
1) It is very simple to locate especially if you have an intake already. Call/email me if you need help.

2) My best selling alarm as well as what I personally use. I do have everything else (Compustar,Omega,Autopage,prestige,Codealarm,etc) available and still go with the Viper.

3) You will need the 556U, the 555 has been disontinued. Keep in mind though...DEI doesnt NOT allow DIY installs of the Viper,Clifford,Python lines. You will recieve absolutely no warranty from them or any dealers regardless of what online stores say. Especially if installed on a manual transmission vehicle.

--Don
732-921-9046
I have been able to locate the 555U on ebay but I will look instead for a 556U. I am aware that I will have no warranty from DEI. In my own experience, I have very rarely needed a warranty to back up something I have purchased. I have had experience with Viper about 5 years ago. After installation, I never went back to the shop except for adjustments to the programming.

So is there an installation guide that comes in the box for the 791XV which a DIYer could interpret and successfully use to install the alarm? Do I need any additional pieces for my 02 such at glass break, shock, GPS tracking, hood open sensor?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2004, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by ablythe
I have been able to locate the 555U on ebay but I will look instead for a 556U. I am aware that I will have no warranty from DEI. In my own experience, I have very rarely needed a warranty to back up something I have purchased. I have had experience with Viper about 5 years ago. After installation, I never went back to the shop except for adjustments to the programming.

So is there an installation guide that comes in the box for the 791XV which a DIYer could interpret and successfully use to install the alarm? Do I need any additional pieces for my 02 such at glass break, shock, GPS tracking, hood open sensor?

Thanks
There is an install manual, but it is not that in-depth. To be honest I havent cracked the binding of one in years, as all the training that DEI gives beats it into my head.

All the other sensors,options are to your preference, none are "required".

--Don
Old 07-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

god you do not wanna do one of these as a first time DIY job, you'll want to stab yourself in the eye with a spork.

Don's the man....and i second what he said, i would reccomend it being installed "professionally". these newer alarms are abit more complicated with the whole 2 way....remote programming....its nice to have someone to help you out at a store.