Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Eclipse AVN2454 or AVX2494

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 10:45 AM

Eclipse AVN2454 or AVX2494

I wanted to know if any of u got this system in the maxima. How you like it? How it functions? Hows the fitment in the maxima dash (4th)? sound quality? wiring difficulty? all pros/cons? blah blah you know the deal. I just recently got a reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaal good deal on these and realized that if i sell all the alpine radio/tv/eq/dvd/nav not only will i have enough to buy the eclipse but ill even have some left over. Its sad cause i invested a lottttttttttttt of money into all that alpine shyt but im willing to lose it on the clean look of the eclipse. So let me know....
Old 08-05-2004, 01:07 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Ive done several of them.Fitment is very clean and easy.
Pro: all in one unit, no "brain"

Con: 2volt output

--Don

BTW..why dont you share with us this great deal?
Old 08-05-2004, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Ive done several of them.Fitment is very clean and easy.
Pro: all in one unit, no "brain"

Con: 2volt output

--Don

BTW..why dont you share with us this great deal?
Is there any way i can buy some kind of optional processor that converts the 2V ~> 8V (or even 16V hehe)?

I have an audio buddy of mine who said he can get me ONE unit, new but maybe a demo, at a stooped retarded cheap price.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Certified Beast
Is there any way i can buy some kind of optional processor that converts the 2V ~> 8V (or even 16V hehe)?

I have an audio buddy of mine who said he can get me ONE unit, new but maybe a demo, at a stooped retarded cheap price.
You can always use a line driver to boost it up, yes.

What I meant was share with us the price and where its coming from....

--Don
Old 08-05-2004, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
You can always use a line driver to boost it up, yes.

What I meant was share with us the price and where its coming from....

--Don
The price he told me is at about 1/2 of MSRP. So a AVN is $1150 and AVX is at $1500. Plus ill hook him up with a Benjamin for making it happen. Where they are coming from is on a need to know basis, and i dont need to know so i dont ask. Ive known him long enough that i can trust my friend that its new (or demo) and it works, thats all im concerned with. Since he mentioned it might possibly be a demo it might be from his or a associates shop. I highly doubt that it was obtained by any forms of legal activity, i can get stolen crap cheaper.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:17 PM

The price he told me is at about 1/2 of MSRP. So a AVN is $1150 and AVX is at $1500. Plus ill hook him up with a Benjamin for making it happen. Where they are coming from is on a need to know basis, and i dont need to know so i dont ask. Ive known him long enough that i can trust my friend that its new (or demo) and it works, thats all im concerned with. Since he mentioned it might possibly be a demo it might be from his or a associates shop. I highly doubt that it was obtained by any forms of legal activity, i can get stolen crap cheaper.

For those prices I would Definately check where theyre coming from as they are WELL below dealer cost. Keep in mind your giving up a 3 year warranty and a year of theft protection.

--Don
Old 08-05-2004, 06:15 PM

No one will steal my shyt, people know better. As for malfunction, my buddys word is as good as any warranty. I know if theres ever a problem with anything i purchase from him then he will take care of it. THats why even though i dont have to, i throw him a little extra, its MUTUAL RESPECT! If it breaks, i know him well enough that he will either fix it, replace it or return my money.

I appreciate your input and realize that you only want to help but i know what im doing and i didnt post this to ask for advice. All i want/need is input on how this HU is compatible with the car and what are its fuctioning characteristics.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:23 PM

No one will steal my shyt, people know better. As for malfunction, my buddys word is as good as any warranty. I know if theres ever a problem with anything i purchase from him then he will take care of it. THats why even though i dont have to, i throw him a little extra, its MUTUAL RESPECT! If it breaks, i know him well enough that he will either fix it, replace it or return my money.

I appreciate your input and realize that you only want to help but i know what im doing and i didnt post this to ask for advice. All i want/need is input on how this HU is compatible with the car and what are its fuctioning characteristics.

Well then in that case...Best of luck.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:08 AM

Still dont know which unit to get...
Which line driver is good?
How much do they go for?
Old 09-25-2004, 02:17 PM

Still dont know which unit to get...
Which line driver is good?
How much do they go for?
No that I condone any possible SHADY behavior on your future investment but to answer your question I'd say go with the AVN mainly because it functions as a navi system also.

Phoenix Gold makes a quality line driver & they generally cost around $100 bucks or so? http://www.phoenixgold.com/2004/linedrivers.html

P.S. Avoid shady deals wheather it be friend or foe.........
Old 09-29-2004, 06:31 AM

Hey Don, I got the unit yesterday from shipped from Eclipse brand new. I decided to go with the AVN because of the navigation. I wanted your advice before I installed it though, first where did you mount the Antenna in the 4th gen? The Eclipse rep told me its only 0.8V preout, not even 2V, will the line driver still make a significant difference? Do you sell the rear view camera, if so how much and does it fit in the trunk hole? Lastly, is the only changer this thing will operate a CH3083, is there anything that plays MP3s or more than 8CDs from Eclipse? What is the changer operator, the black round plug, and what model changers do you sell for it? Lastly, does eclipse have any sat. radio? Thanks...
Old 09-29-2004, 06:33 AM

oh and another thing, my Alpine N852A has a gyro sensor, speed sensor input and an antenna, I cant find that on the eclipse except the antenna. Are any of those millions of plugs on the back have a speed sensor input or a gyro so that when you are in tunnels or under tall building where your antenna gets poor reception it could still pin point your vehicle
Old 09-29-2004, 06:36 AM

The antenna can go right above the heater/AC vents in the dash.

Which rep did you talk to? Local one? Matt?

Yes I carry the camera,although any will work. It does not fit in the keyhole.

Yes the 3083 is the only changer so far. With the exception of the not yet ready 20G HD. Yes it is the black round plug.

They still havent released yet, but it will be working with Sirius.

--Don
Old 09-29-2004, 07:04 AM

oh and another thing, my Alpine N852A has a gyro sensor, speed sensor input and an antenna, I cant find that on the eclipse except the antenna. Are any of those millions of plugs on the back have a speed sensor input or a gyro so that when you are in tunnels or under tall building where your antenna gets poor reception it could still pin point your vehicle
Yes theres a speed sensor.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i dont mean to jack the thread, ill be quick

Don, eclipse is coming out with a 20 gig HD like kenwoods music keg? so you can store just a ton of MP3s and WMAs, or will it hold video too? this may sway me to get something else from ya soon
Old 09-29-2004, 10:20 AM

Which wire is the speed sensor on the eclipse and which one is it on the car, 96 max 5spd. What other cameras do you sell that fit the keyhole? What is the "controller" wire next to the cd changer wires for?

I dont remember his name but it was a guy.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:45 AM

Which wire is the speed sensor on the eclipse and which one is it on the car, 96 max 5spd. What other cameras do you sell that fit the keyhole? What is the "controller" wire next to the cd changer wires for?

If you bought this from Eclipse it should have came like mine, and there was a connetor that had the parking brake, reverse, and speed sensor on it. They were all tagged describing what they were and the speed sensor had a diode on it. Check your box, you are missing something, if memory serves me correct the purple one was the speed sensor.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:48 AM

Also, shouldn't you be able to find the speed sensor wire from the alpine warness and not go behind the cluster again?
Old 09-30-2004, 08:20 AM

Well mine work as the car moves for everything. There is a plug with 3 wires green, purple and pink if i remember correctly, its to the top left of the power connector plug. I think his installer connected that to the power plug so that it works while I drive. I also have 2 empty plugs on the back in the middle, what are those for?
Old 09-30-2004, 08:31 AM

All I know is my Alpine system was much better than this thing. The only advantage this has is the factory look. With the alpine, I had an MP3 changer, DVD Changer, The navigation (so much more detailed and accurate), XM Radio, the list goes on..

The thing i dont like about this navigation (maybe im just not working it right) is that the arrrow doesnt always stay up. I want it to stay up and when i make the turn i want the map to move, not the position arrow. You understand what im saying? Anyone know how to do that?

By the way, give me a list of all the things that came with this thing and ill check it out. But i know I had 2 plugs missing on the back of the unit, somewhere in the middle. Im going to see if i can get a pic of the net for the back of the unit.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:05 AM

I figured out how to make the map move and im learning more and more about this system everyday. However i still liked my alpine better and might even stick it back in and sell this Eclipse. In Japan they've had this thing for 2 years already and its far more advanced than this one. I forgot the site i saw it on buy that one was amazing. I dont know why Eclipse had to spread out the Navigation, 5.1 sound and the hard drive to 3 units. In Japan its all in one, in fact its a 40 gig HD. If i find the site again ill post it, but as of now im thinking of selling this thing and getting a D901 Alpine while keeping my N852A, S680, S634, Tu020XM and buying a H701. I dont know, let me know what you think cause im on the fence.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:39 PM

oh and must i get a line driver for each set of preouts, the PG line driver has one set of inputs and 1 set of outputs. IS this only needed for the sub or will i need it for the 4ch amp also
Old 10-01-2004, 02:08 PM

I believe PG makes a line driver with 2 sets of inputs and outputs.