Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Connecting an IPOD through BOSE Head Unit??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I really only use the radio for traffic reports now. I have taken all my cd's out of the car and ripped them onto the pod. I'm sure you can find a earlier model for a decent price in the for sale section.
However, with the difference in wire harnessing between models, i'm not so sure if it would be worth it or not.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:37 PM

I have an '02 SE w/ Bose 6 disc HU, no SAT no NAV

So it seems that there is no hard-wired system for this combo w/ an IPOD???
Old 03-08-2007, 12:55 PM

thats pretty much the realization i have just come to as we are in the same boat.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:08 PM

'02 SE w/Bose Possibilities...

According to the PA11-NIS manual, the unit will work with a 6-disk INTERNAL CD changer.

The manual's FAQ states:
Will the PA11-NIS disable my in-dash 6-disk CD changer radio?
NO-The PA11-NIS does not disable or interfere with normal operation and function of the in-dash cd changer; it will however disable an external cd changer or factory XM (if so equipped)

link: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/pdf/pa11-nis.pdf

This is heartening news for us with the in-dash 6-disk Bose system, in contradiction to Vrod's posts.

The Discount Car Stereo site for PA11-NIS is here: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=701

I am extremely interested in this. I have an iTrip for my 4G iPod and I'm just getting sick of the generally poor quality of the music/constantly changing stations. I'm wondering how to hardwire an FM modulator. Any links?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by JROD'02
This is heartening news for us with the in-dash 6-disk Bose system, in contradiction to Vrod's posts.
I did not post any information stating it was not useable with the in-dash 6-disk bose system.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampecush
vrod, is your deck the 6-disc in dash changer type?
Originally Posted by VRod
No, it's not.

Quote:
It looks like everyone with the 6-disc changer is screwed...aka limited to fm modulators

Aw, that sucks. Sorry
I'm sorry, I simply took this as meaning "everyone with the 6-disc changer is screwed." I hope not!
Old 03-11-2007, 10:42 PM

JROD'02, check this post...

Originally Posted by burnigator
Okay, I've read this and the "aux input to stock BOSE thread," and haven't found the answer I need. I can't post my own thread, so here's hoping this doesn't get overlooked

For background, I have a 2002 Maxima with the BOSE system, no nav, 6-disc in-dash changer. I purchased a PA11-NIS through Crutchfield (you know, because they said it would work) around 3 weeks ago, and tried to install it the day it came in... except it wouldn't fit. The male-female power adapter hooked up no problem, but the 12-pin (8 on top, 4 on bottom) adapter has nowhere to hook up. I unhooked the changer's cable from the back of the head unit, but it's a 6-pin (4 on top, 2 on bottom) deal.

After emailing USA-Spec a few times and getting no response at all, I figured I would post here before just calling Crutchfield and sending this crap back. I don't need a $140 iPod charger that doesn't do anything else.

I pulled the headunit out again this morning to see if I possibly overlooked anything the past 5-6 times I did this, and finally noticed something new. On the back of the head unit, there's a metal tab covering a piece of PCB that has 12 solder points in the right configuration for the PA11 connector. The only problem is... there's nothing soldered onto these, obviously. Is this supposed to be where the controller for the external changer goes? If so, does anyone think it would be possible to solder a connector onto these points and then hook up the PA11?

I couldn't find my digicam and didn't feel like pulling the whole head unit out, but this should give some idea of what I mean:

Am I stupid for even thinking about doing this? I know I could just buy an aftermarket head unit, but for some reason I like the way the stock one looks. I'd really appreciate any help you guys could give me, because I'm about [-----*-] this close to sending it back
Old 03-12-2007, 03:03 PM

I just sent USASpec an email asking about the 6-disc in-dash changer and apparently the PA11-nis is in fact compatible.

adam
Old 03-13-2007, 10:06 PM

I just sent USASpec an email asking about the 6-disc in-dash changer and apparently the PA11-nis is in fact compatible.

adam
They can say whatever they want. You actually have to try it yourself and see if it work. I bought a neo ion for my 2k3 max and it was NOT compatible!
Old 03-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I tried installing the PAS yesterday into a 2002 Max with the in dash six disk and I can CONFIRM that the cables do not fit.

I also called USA SPEC and argued with them over the phone while they told me to "unplug the old cables and plug in the new ones" like I am a major tool. I had to send them a picture before they said "I guess its not compatible".

In short anyone with the Bose in-dash six disk does not have the correct inputs for the USA Spec adapter.

Does anyone know if the Nissan ipod interface will work with the 01-03 Bose systems with the CD6? From what I read thats what it requires but I have not been able to confirm it with pictures. Does anyone have pictures of what the Nissan ipod interface cables look like?
Old 05-05-2007, 01:05 PM

what about people w/2000 factory headunits, can we still hard wire an ipod some how? i went to best buy and they said no, but i think that there is a way.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

compatibility issues are all over can any one post the location of the cd changer cable that goes to the deck 96 max
Old 05-09-2007, 06:33 AM

so what is the best to use for 2000 max? a usa spec??
Old 05-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Loved by MrGone longtime

Originally Posted by PearlWhtMaX2000
so what is the best to use for 2000 max? a usa spec??
I bought the USA-SPEC and it DID NOT work on my 03 6 cd in-dash player.

I sold it to CCx who has a 2000 with the CD/CHG button and he told me that it WORKS!

So, for all those with a CD/CHG it will work.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by reygarcia
I bought the USA-SPEC and it DID NOT work on my 03 6 cd in-dash player.

I sold it to CCx who has a 2000 with the CD/CHG button and he told me that it WORKS!

So, for all those with a CD/CHG it will work.
Which Maxima's have that CD/CHG button? Those who don't have the 6-Disc In-Dash player?

I have the CD6 button, so I don't think it will be compatible.
I dunno what other alternative I have besides using the cassette adaptor and FM transmitter without having to replace my HU.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:42 AM

i have the cd changer button, but no changer so that means that the USA spec should work right?? wheres the best place to buy it? crutchfield??
Old 05-13-2007, 10:35 AM

yeah yours should work. (u lucky bastard) lol get it at crutchfield or try neo-ion at mp3yourcar.com
Old 05-14-2007, 01:22 PM

does any one recommend the USA spec over the NEO Ion?? is there a huge difference? because the usa spec is $60 cheaper
Old 05-20-2007, 11:30 AM

ok i installed the USA Spec, install took about 30 min, andit works great!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I set up the USA Spec PA11-NIS in my 2001 Maxima SE with Bose. It gives RCA and an iPod cable that charges and plays iPod over speakers. Using the iPod cable i can use my radio controls and the steering wheel controls. I did lose my trunk 6 CD changer, but hell I gained over 3,000 songs on my iPod.

The iPod cable sounds much better than using the RCA connections. Here are some pics...

Relocate coin holder to where the heated seats button is supposed to be. Installed the RCA where the coin holder was...

My Sansa connected to the RCA input...

iPod cable inside glove box (I can control with HU or steering buttons)...

I like the clean look and I am happy with this setup as an alternative to spending much, much more on a HU with MP3/RCA or AUX in.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Opps, sorry. Here are the pics;

Old 05-24-2007, 01:51 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Glad you're happy... I have been very happy with the PA11 I put in my Volvo. That has a 4 disc changer in-dash, so I have the best of both worlds there.

BTW, the reason the iPod cable sounds better than the RCA inputs has nothing to do with the PA11 - it's because you are bypassing the headphone amplifier in the iPod.

My Volvo HU has Dolby Pro Logic - center channel and all. One time for giggles I hooked up a high-end multimedia notebook PC (with real line level audio outs - not the usual headphone jack) to the RCA jacks and watched Top Gun and Gone in 60 Seconds DVDs with the notebook propped againt the dash - between the 17" display and the sound... WOW... that was mobile video!

Enjoy!
Old 09-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone know if any of the devices that will allow you to control a iPod will also work for a microsoft zune?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm so confused on what part number I need for my car. Would I use the same part numbers below? I have an 04 Max-SL with the Bose 6-disc changer, SAT-ready (button) but without factory SAT installed. I want to purchase the factory IPOD adapter but I don't see any options listed for 04.

Do the 04 Bose systems have something different than the 05's ?

Originally Posted by haXXima
I got the factory IPOD adapter today from www.autowebaccessories.com. Part numbers are 999U7-VR000 for the box, and 999U7-VS001 for the cable.

I have a 2007 Maxima-SL with the Bose 6-disc changer, SAT-ready but without factory SAT installed.

The installation took about 10 minutes. The cable plugs into the harness under the rear speaker tray from inside the trunk. The box plugs into that, and another cable (that comes with the box) runs to the IPOD. I have the IPOD in the trunk.

I can see the artist and song name on the LCD, and I can skip to the prev/next artist, or prev/next track from the HU. Supposedly I should be able to skip to the next playlist, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

I sure would like to be able to select the playlist from the HU. Documentation that came with the parts don't mention Maxima specifically, only other Nissan models. In the mini-manual it shows browsing through playlists, and performing setups like repeat, random, etc.

Anyone else using this setup in a 2007 Max? Can you navigate through anything besides song and artist?
Old 06-01-2008, 08:27 AM

does anyone know if the spec usa will work on my 2000 maxima...it has the cd/chg button but i don't believe it has a cd changer because the usual mounting spot in the trunk is empty.

here's what the HU looks like:

Old 06-01-2008, 09:50 AM

Spec USA

Go to the Crutchfield website and enter your car data. They'll tell you if you are a match. I've had my Spec USA for a few years and haven't listened to the radio since. The Spec plugs into the changer port in the back of the head unit and I place my iPod in the glove box. Totally awesome!

Originally Posted by walhalla
does anyone know if the spec usa will work on my 2000 maxima...it has the cd/chg button but i don't believe it has a cd changer because the usual mounting spot in the trunk is empty.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by walhalla

I have the same year and head unit as you, and it will work; it's been great!
Old 06-01-2008, 08:41 PM

cool thanks...didnt want to blow cash online without making sure it worked :S
Old 04-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ddee06
I'm so confused on what part number I need for my car. Would I use the same part numbers below? I have an 04 Max-SL with the Bose 6-disc changer, SAT-ready (button) but without factory SAT installed. I want to purchase the factory IPOD adapter but I don't see any options listed for 04.

Do the 04 Bose systems have something different than the 05's ?
I know this is an old thread, but I picked up the PA11-NIS today for my 04 SL. I have the Bose system with the pre-wired SAT button (but I do not have a SAT receiver hooked up)

It installs fine and sounds great .... BUT ... it doesn't work through the SAT button, it disconnects your in dash CD changer and works using the CD button on the dash contrary to what I was told at the car audio store where I bought it.

Trying to find out from USA Spec if that's the way it is, or if I have the wrong unit. Will also start looking for other options ....
Old 04-23-2009, 06:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by tomhorn
I know this is an old thread, but I picked up the PA11-NIS today for my 04 SL. I have the Bose system with the pre-wired SAT button (but I do not have a SAT receiver hooked up)

It installs fine and sounds great .... BUT ... it doesn't work through the SAT button, it disconnects your in dash CD changer and works using the CD button on the dash contrary to what I was told at the car audio store where I bought it.

Trying to find out from USA Spec if that's the way it is, or if I have the wrong unit. Will also start looking for other options ....
Here is what I bought from this seller on E-bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/PAC-AAI-NIS2-Ada...1|293:1|294:50

This item works perfectly in my Max. I was able to install it myself and am very happy with the sound and it does work from the SAT button. Sounds like they sold you the wrong model for our car You might want to see if you can get a refund and get the model I mentioned above. It works from the SAT button and does not disconnect your CD changer. I have full functionality of the BOSE system. HTH
Old 04-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I returned the PA11-NIS today. As mentioned the adapter was working perfectly fine (other than it going through the CD player input) until today.

I was listening to my iPod on the way to the airport yesterday. Dropped the car in the airport lot and did my travel thing. Came home today and plugged in the iPod and it connected fine with the normal text on the iPod's screen. However when I tried to power on the radio ... nothing. The display screen works fine, and all the controls except the radio are fine.

No power to the radio.

So, I uninstalled the PA11-NIS and hooked everything back up the way it was ... and still no power to the radio. I've checked all the fuses I can find, and I'm stuck with a dead radio ...

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Grabbed the shop manuals online and replaced all the fuses that are related to the audio system ... radio is still dead. Did some more research and figure it could be Nissan's anti-theft protection locking it down.

Any way to re-set this without going to the dealership?
Old 04-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ddee06
Here is what I bought from this seller on E-bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/PAC-AAI-NIS2-Ada...1|293:1|294:50

This item works perfectly in my Max. I was able to install it myself and am very happy with the sound and it does work from the SAT button. Sounds like they sold you the wrong model for our car You might want to see if you can get a refund and get the model I mentioned above. It works from the SAT button and does not disconnect your CD changer. I have full functionality of the BOSE system. HTH
Thanks!

May go that way if there are no other options, but I am looking for something that plays the iPod without going through the headphone jack, and uses the radio and steering wheel controls.

Now looking at this one from Metra:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...19722&viewitem=

but I still need to get the radio back working first.