Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Avic N2 And 6gen

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 08:23 PM

Avic N2 And 6gen

whats up all?? I have heard rumors that the pioneer avic n2 wont be able to play dvds while the car is in gear any truth to this. ... is there anyone with the avic n1 OR n2 in their 6th gen. if so can you post some pictures. ALSO is the steeringwheel remote that is on the maxima compatable with the n1 or n2. this is a feature that i really dont want to lose.

thanks guys for the help
Old 02-08-2005, 09:01 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

it won't play if you hook it up not to do it, I mean if you hook up the radio legally it won't play. but there is a way around it, by taking the wire that registers the car has the e-brake on and grounding it to the chasis. its not hard to do, just ground it to something the same way you would the headunit........

to keep the controls buy this:

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/SWIX.html
Old 02-09-2005, 08:43 PM

Well, if you have the avic-n1, consider yourself lucky. With this unit you can simply ground the ebrake wire, as stated above, and you are good to go. With the avic-n2, from what I was told from my rep, as soon as the unit senses a 15mph change in speed, it will automatically lockout the video. This is regardless of whether you have the ebrake wire grounded or not.

There may be a way around this feature but, since the unit is not out yet I still don't know.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:30 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by rabenoja
Well, if you have the avic-n1, consider yourself lucky. With this unit you can simply ground the ebrake wire, as stated above, and you are good to go. With the avic-n2, from what I was told from my rep, as soon as the unit senses a 15mph change in speed, it will automatically lockout the video. This is regardless of whether you have the ebrake wire grounded or not.

There may be a way around this feature but, since the unit is not out yet I still don't know.
You can still bypass by not connecting the speedsense wire. The AVIC will still configure fine without it. Unlike the Eclipse.

--Don
Old 02-09-2005, 10:51 PM

out of curiosity...what will that affect on the unit if you disconnect the speedsense wire in the N2?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:56 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by slickrick
out of curiosity...what will that affect on the unit if you disconnect the speedsense wire in the N2?
check post #4
Old 02-09-2005, 11:02 PM

ahh... i thought the speed sensor worked all those gadgets and stuff so i figured they would not work either.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
You can still bypass by not connecting the speedsense wire. The AVIC will still configure fine without it. Unlike the Eclipse.

--Don
If you bypass the speed sensor wire, you can kiss the navigation goodbye as well as the on screen speedo display etc...
The nav needs the speed sensor wire hooked up to work properly!

Just buy a N1, and ground the e-brake like the others said. I've done it, and even threw a toggle switch in the loop....
Old 02-10-2005, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
If you bypass the speed sensor wire, you can kiss the navigation goodbye as well as the on screen speedo display etc...
The nav needs the speed sensor wire hooked up to work properly!

Just buy a N1, and ground the e-brake like the others said. I've done it, and even threw a toggle switch in the loop....
You know this from experience or your guessing? When I post info, I base it on Facts. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the navi will work without the speed sensor wire on the pioneer's you just wont have speed pulse and 3d, but it does work just fine without it
Old 02-10-2005, 11:26 PM

what exactly is the 3d view. Is it a feature that is cool enough to say i cant live with out it??
Old 02-11-2005, 02:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

3d is only weather your car is going up hill or down hill thats all
Old 02-11-2005, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
You know this from experience or your guessing? When I post info, I base it on Facts. Nothing more, nothing less.
Me too! When I had my N1 installed, I tested the theory in question. My installer wired everything except the speed sensor. (He said it's unnec. where I know it's nec.) We then went for a test spin. Sure, it worked, but not very well. We then went back to the garage and he wired up the speed sensor wire. We then went for another test spin, and took the same route. Much, much better. In fact, I'd say the speedo reading matched the reading on the N1's display dead *****, and the nav was now accurate.

Also, just a FYI, the N1 installation cleary states the the processor must face a certain direction, and be level. My installer wasn't aware of this (although there's even sticker on the processor that reiterates what the instruction booklet says). Unfortunately, I did not test if it really matters, I just had him install it properly.

That's my experience, hope that helps!

James
Old 02-11-2005, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Me too! When I had my N1 installed, I tested the theory in question. My installer wired everything except the speed sensor. (He said it's unnec. where I know it's nec.) We then went for a test spin. Sure, it worked, but not very well. We then went back to the garage and he wired up the speed sensor wire. We then went for another test spin, and took the same route. Much, much better. In fact, I'd say the speedo reading matched the reading on the N1's display dead *****, and the nav was now accurate.

Also, just a FYI, the N1 installation cleary states the the processor must face a certain direction, and be level. My installer wasn't aware of this (although there's even sticker on the processor that reiterates what the instruction booklet says). Unfortunately, I did not test if it really matters, I just had him install it properly.

That's my experience, hope that helps!

James
From the dozens that Ive installed, theres been a few that I was unable to use the SS wire. Audis in general need to be tapped at the ABS sensor at one of the wheels. One of my customers did not want that and Him as well as his wife both bought the units and had them installed in their matching Audis. 7 mos later no complaints.

Yes the brain must face front to rear and be level.

--Don