Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Doh! Interior Speakers Don't Work

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 07:46 AM

Doh! Interior Speakers Don't Work

While taking an off-ramp corner pretty fast my little 12" sub box went rolling across my trunk. The wires were ripped from the amp and the interior speakers stopped working. I figured I blew a fuse when the power wire hit a ground spot but not one of the fuses in either panel are blown.

I think my aftermarket Kenwood has an in-line fuse on it's main power wire. Is this correct (I only had enough time to fix the sub and not take out the headunit)? If so, it may be the reason why the interior speakers aren't working. The headunit lights up and my iPod works. The sub also works now but I've got no sound for the interior speakers.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
E
Old 04-22-2005, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by GaMax97GLE
While taking an off-ramp corner pretty fast my little 12" sub box went rolling across my trunk. The wires were ripped from the amp and the interior speakers stopped working. I figured I blew a fuse when the power wire hit a ground spot but not one of the fuses in either panel are blown.

I think my aftermarket Kenwood has an in-line fuse on it's main power wire. Is this correct (I only had enough time to fix the sub and not take out the headunit)? If so, it may be the reason why the interior speakers aren't working. The headunit lights up and my iPod works. The sub also works now but I've got no sound for the interior speakers.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
E
they might move this but if your hu lights up then the fuse is good on that. check the fuses for the bose system i think there are two on the fuse panel.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by C MAX
they might move this but if your hu lights up then the fuse is good on that. check the fuses for the bose system i think there are two on the fuse panel.
I posted there first (knowing it would be moved) b/c fewer people read down here.

I checked EVERY fuse in the panel by my knees and in next to the battery. I just read through the FSM on the section regarding the Bose wiring. I guess I'll go back and recheck the 15A fuse it mentions as well as the Sub Amp to make sure a wire didn't get pulled out from there.

Thanks,
E
Old 04-22-2005, 08:37 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

While taking an off-ramp corner pretty fast my little 12" sub box went rolling across my trunk. The wires were ripped from the amp and the interior speakers stopped working.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
E
The wires likley ripped from your speakers @ the speaker terminals. Take it from a center of gravity point of view, if the trunk had a large degree of motion it would have pulled from the rear, thereby causing your speaker wires to go with it, since that was the focal point of intertia at the time.

In order to rule this out, unplug the speaker wires from the amp, hook the sub up to that channel, and see if you get a response. If the sub responds to those channels, then the problem lies within the speaker wire connections.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
The wires likley ripped from your speakers @ the speaker terminals. Take it from a center of gravity point of view, if the trunk had a large degree of motion it would have pulled from the rear, thereby causing your speaker wires to go with it, since that was the focal point of intertia at the time.

In order to rule this out, unplug the speaker wires from the amp, hook the sub up to that channel, and see if you get a response. If the sub responds to those channels, then the problem lies within the speaker wire connections.
But there is no direct connection between my sub/amp and any interior speakers. I'm not sure why having the sub amp power/ground rip out would effect interior speakers unless a fuse had blown when they touched. I checked every fuse in the car and none are blown.

But I agree, something must have happened to either the Bose sub wires or other wires to make the interior speakers stop working. The new HU lights up and connects to the iPod (since the bass plays through the sub) so until I find out what other wire got disturbed, I'm screwed.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:22 AM

does your bose amps come on when you turn on the hu normally. if so check the turn on wire that supplies the power to the bose amps. do you have any pics of the set up its gotta be something simple.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:46 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Pop the doors, check the speakers...I think that is basically your best bet from the way it sounds
Old 04-22-2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by C MAX
does your bose amps come on when you turn on the hu normally. if so check the turn on wire that supplies the power to the bose amps. do you have any pics of the set up its gotta be something simple.
I'll check the Bose sub but its not connected to the Alpine amp and JL sub. The RCA and amp remote wire go directly under the rear seat to the Kenwood HU...

This is really bothering me. Watch it be something simple that I missed b/c I was just to p!ssed to see. My car is at home so I'm going to work on this tonight when I get there. I'll post up what I find.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-26-2005, 06:58 AM

Update:

Well I went and bought new speakers since I thought maybe I fried my PAC harness...so I figured I'd just bypass the whole thing since it was only around to connect the Kenwood HU to the Bose speakers. Installed the new speakers and still had the same problem.

I re-installed my Bose HU (with new speakers) and everything works fine...although I lost the ability to connect my iPod and JL subs.

So now I think that somehow I fried the speaker output of my Kenwood HU since everything works with the Bose HU. How would I be able to test the speaker output of the Kenwood HU w/o hooking it up to someone else's car? Just hook it up to power and the speaker directly...outside of the car?

Recap: The display of the Kenwood HU works, the radio tuner works, the pre-amp outputs work (since the JL sub plays) and the AUX in works. Just the interior speakers didn't work.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:33 AM

Well I went and bought new speakers since I thought maybe I fried my PAC harness...so I figured I'd just bypass the whole thing since it was only around to connect the Kenwood HU to the Bose speakers. Installed the new speakers and still had the same problem.

I re-installed my Bose HU (with new speakers) and everything works fine...although I lost the ability to connect my iPod and JL subs.

So now I think that somehow I fried the speaker output of my Kenwood HU since everything works with the Bose HU. How would I be able to test the speaker output of the Kenwood HU w/o hooking it up to someone else's car? Just hook it up to power and the speaker directly...outside of the car?

Recap: The display of the Kenwood HU works, the radio tuner works, the pre-amp outputs work (since the JL sub plays) and the AUX in works. Just the interior speakers didn't work.
do you have some sort of box in between that connects the hu to the bose system,if so check the wiring to that. to check to see if the hu is putting out a signal just run a jumper wire and run to a spare speaker if you have one laying around