Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

2K2 Tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 07:47 PM

2K2 Tweeters

Hey guys, I am planning on upgrading my BOSE speakers in my 2k2. I have these 6.5 inch polk audios for the rear, and am looking for front speakers and wondering if I get component speakers can I just mount the tweeters from my component speakers into the same place as the factory tweeters....possibly even using the same wiring? or do I have to mount crossovers and all that good stuff? thanks!
Old 03-11-2006, 09:47 PM

Yes, the aftermarket tweeter can go in the factory spot behind the pillar. Easiest and simplest to mount with high temp hot glue. You'll probably want to use factory wire to run into the door for the mid, since the rubber boot in the door contains a harness through which wires can't be ran. The factory tweeter is run in parallel with the midrange (There is only 1 output at the Bose amp for both the mid and tweeter), so the easiest thing to do is mount your crossovers in the kick panels, run factory wire into the door, and run a couple feet of new speaker wire right up to the tweeter, and call it a day.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:55 PM

k, then I plan on using the factory wiring, just cutting the wires after they come out of the bose amp, t-taping them into the wires before they go into the amp so my speakers are run off the deck, and my bose sub still works okie dokie....anyone see any problems with this?? thanks again guys!
Old 03-11-2006, 10:02 PM

Whoa. What deck are you running? Let me get this straight, since I now realize the first post was ambiguous. You plan on running the front components and rear coaxials off of your aftermarket deck? You really need to bypass Bose completely. You really can't run those 4 speakers and the Bose sub all off of the deck. How exactly did you plan on wiring that, taking the subwoofer preout from the deck and splicing it into the inputs on the Bose sub amp? Because you do know that the Bose deck is unamplified, correct?

Please provide more info so I/we can set your system along the right track.

You really need to amplify component speakers. I already was assuming you were, which was my fault.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:33 PM

ok, see if i can describe this. I want my deck to run the speakers. I would like to eventually get a bigger/better free air/open air/infinite baffle sub to replace the bose one on the rear deck BUT i dont have funds for that now. SO, I would like to keep the use of the bose sub...for now...so I want to leave the wires coming into the bose amp, so the bose sub still has sound....but then I want to attach the wires coming out of the bose amp to the wires just before they hit the bose amp...not cut them, just tap into them...therefore hopefully allowing the speakers to be hooked up directly to my deck, but then also keep the bose amp/bose sub hooked up.thanks!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

When you finally decide to install a new system, will you be using the existing factory wires or will you be hardwiring each speaker directly from the amp?
Old 06-28-2006, 11:17 PM

I'm probably gonna get flamed here for reviving an old thread...but I was in the same position 2 months ago so Ill help...I used housecor's wiring guide, and bought a new alpine amp, used the exisiting factory wiring to the speakers, and hooked it up to the new amp, then I got new alpine speakers..am wishing I would have gotten infinity perfect kappa's but thats a different story..and ya everything works great...just don't have best buy install anything...
Old 06-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Where is this wiring guide, i saw houscar's website, didn't see anything on the wiring. I would post my own thread buy I have to post 15 replys before i'm able to start a new thread. So sorry for this.

Anyways, basically i'm getting a 4ch amp a 1ch Mono block, a new head unit and 4 sets of speakers. I'm wiring the entire system myself. I wasn't sure if i should wire everyspeaker directly from the amp, by making my own holes in the front door and the side of the car, since there is a factory harness that does not allow you to put wires through, or if i should use the existing wiring.

I want to do this the right way, so if i do use the existing wiring, i want to run rca's from my new head unit directly to my amps, and then use the factory wiring, but bypassing that bose stuff. is this possible.

Or

Should i wire everything direct, by myself. Essentially my own custom install.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:56 AM

I'm sorry it wasn't housecor's site, it was http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/?location=home
and under audio system, the colors:
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/audiowiring.asp
The only tricky part is that there are sometimes two of the same wire colors that he mentions, but if you just find one wire, like left front + for example, the left front - will be next to the left front + wire...If you want I can send you exactly how mine is hooked up..PM me if you can..it will save you a lot of time, rather than running all new wires...and with mine, I left the bose amp connected because I wanted the bose sub still working...so I have all 4 new speakers, and the old bose sub working...
Old 07-01-2006, 05:21 PM
k3v

sorry for thread jacking..but i still cant make my own threads. i was wondering if i could use bass blockers on stock bose speakers. and if i could, they would go in after the amp correct? also would it be a waste of time doing this? or will there be a noticable difference at high volumes? btw, i have 2 12's in the trunk, so the factory bose bass is just killing sound quality
Old 07-01-2006, 10:35 PM

if you wanna turn off the bose sub, just clip the two black and white wires right before they hit the sub, those are the + and - signals to the sub, no signal to the sub therefore, no sub...