Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Just added my amp/sub to the factory bose, but somethings up...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 10:03 PM

Just added my amp/sub to the factory bose, but somethings up...

I just finished my amp/sub install yesterday with my cousins help using the pac adapter. However, my sub will not pick up any of the low bass that it used to when it was in my Durango. The really deep loud bass comes out fine, sometimes too overpowering, but the lighter stuff is just not felt or heard very much. My friend says its because the Bose HU doesnt have the adjustibility of an aftermarket deck, but if this was the case I think others would have had the same problems and I would have been able to find posts about such. Now im wondering if the box im using is too big and the extra air space is whats causing it as the sub came out of a thunderforms box and is now in a QLogic Type 2 Box(8" MTX Sub in the thunderforms now in a QLogic 10" Box that was being used to house a 8" JL I believe it was). I really wish I knew more about this stuff so I could figure out whats going on.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
John
Old 08-14-2006, 05:50 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by BigJohn82
However, my sub will not pick up any of the low bass that it used to when it was in my Durango. The really deep loud bass comes out fine, sometimes too overpowering, but the lighter stuff is just not felt or heard very much.

Now im wondering if the box im using is too big and the extra air space is whats causing it as the sub came out of a thunderforms box and is now in a QLogic Type 2 Box(8" MTX Sub in the thunderforms now in a QLogic 10" Box that was being used to house a 8" JL I believe it was).
Well You've put you're sub in a new environment. It's going to sound different per the installation, the box, the amplifier, the environment IE) you went from an open rear to a trunk. It's going to sound different. I don't know what you mean when you say it doesn't pick up the LOW bass, but then it plays the deep loud bass fine, but the LIGHTER stuff isn't felt?

I guess that the deep low-end that doesn't hit as hard isn't felt? If thats the case you probably want to upgrade to a 10".
Old 08-14-2006, 09:04 AM

I think the wires from the amp to the sub may be crossed. Thats why its not picking up all the lows and why it was rattling like hell before too. Im gonna check that out today.

As far as what I was trying to describe, the sub only hits real hard on songs with lots of bass, but if you play anything that doesnt have real heavy and deep bass but softer bass like R&B, its not picking it up. Again, this could be from the wires being crossed. Unfortunetly due to my first speeding ticket, I cannot afford to upgrade the sub even if I wanted to. But thats another story.

Thanks
John
Old 08-14-2006, 09:30 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by BigJohn82
I think the wires from the amp to the sub may be crossed. Thats why its not picking up all the lows and why it was rattling like hell before too. Im gonna check that out today.

As far as what I was trying to describe, the sub only hits real hard on songs with lots of bass, but if you play anything that doesnt have real heavy and deep bass but softer bass like R&B, its not picking it up. Again, this could be from the wires being crossed. Unfortunetly due to my first speeding ticket, I cannot afford to upgrade the sub even if I wanted to. But thats another story.

Thanks
John
The wires can be inversed and you wouldn't lose any bass it would just change the phase of the sub. Check your LPF/HPF make sure they are set properly.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:57 AM

Which wires did you use to connect from the factory to your PAC?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:05 AM

Nismos,

All is good. The wires were inversed. My sub has the positive on the right side, and my cousin wired it to the left since most are on the left. I just switched em, turned it on and up, and its perfect. Picks up all the lows now, so all is good.

Rugarip,

Not sure what your asking. The pac plugs right into the factory harnesses if thats what your wondering.

Later
John
Old 08-14-2006, 11:12 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Thats very strange, wiring the sub out of phase shouldn't make it lose alot of frequencies.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:05 PM

I didnt think it would either, but another friend who knows a lot about car audio said that when your cross the wiring like that it hits the other way but of course I got no clue. But it sounds good, its working, and im happy, so thats all that matters.

Later
John
Old 08-14-2006, 12:27 PM

Nevermind, I was thinking you were using a different kind of connector for some reason.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have an audi and have had so many issues with my aftermarket stereo additions to the bose headunit that i've just totally given up on it. It works out to a bettert sound with the aftermarket deck anyways.....just my 2 cents
Old 08-16-2006, 12:17 PM

Yea, I will get an aftermarket deck when the Bose HU takes a dump. Until then, its what I will use. I still notice im not getting the type of base I was in the Durango and im not sure if its just the HU or if its the placement of the sub and the fact that its in a new box. Might just have to look for a replacement 10 that isnt too expensive and see if my amp bridged running 200w rms @ 4ohms is enough to push it.

Later
John
Old 08-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

a buddy of mines is actually a big fan of keeping the factory headunit and just adding an aftermarket eq hidden in the glove compartment and running things thru that in combinaton with the factory stuff.....thats also another consideration
Old 08-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i think one of the problems with the factory setup is just the lack of control of the over sound and thats where the eq comes into play giving a lot more options then factory!