Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Free-Air/IB 6.5" woofers: need help on mounting, sealing, etc. (new to IB setups)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 07:00 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Free-Air/IB 6.5" woofers: need help on mounting, sealing, etc. (new to IB setups)

I have 2 Dayton 6.5" woofers that I plan to experiment with in my rear deck. I want to use them in place of a boxed sub. I need my trunk space, and I am in no way a basshead, so for what I paid for them, they are a cheap experiment. They are 8 ohm and will be run off of 200W RMS into a single 4 ohm load (by running them in parallel and bridging my amp).

The car currently has 6.5" coaxials in the rear deck. It also has a 6.5" woofer (Nissan calls it a subwoofer) that has been disconnected. I plan to remove the stock rears and to replace them with the Daytons. I have MDF rings to use to mount these.

Do I mount the speaker on TOP of the rear deck and put the rings BELOW the deck (to make the mounting more secure) or do I put the rings on top of the deck and undermount the drivers?

Also, I plan to remove the stock woofer to give me space to suspend a platform on which to mount my amp (rightside up, of course). Do I need to seal up the gaping hole that I will have in the middle of my rear deck? If so, can I just use caulk and screws to attach wood over the hole?

Lastly, the rear seat is not a fold-down design, but there is open exposed foam. Do I need to use a board or baffle to cover the opening and then seal up around the edges?

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2007, 07:39 AM

You can do either way, mounting to wood you put on top of or underneath the rear deck.

Example 1:

Example 2:

Being that theyll drop into the drock locations, it's probably going to be easier to top mount them. Youll need to seal up every hole humanly possible. Yes, you can just use caulk and a piece of wood, or a piece of wood and some deadener works too. Personally, I wouldnt worry about the back of the seat unless you are going crazy with deadening the rest of the trunk, or if you're unhappy with it once installed, but thats up to you.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:36 PM

I plan to mount my 6.5 subs from the top of the rear deck for IB. Meineke will be cutting 2 holes in my deck for $30. Just be careful with those crossbars for the trunklid under the deck, most subs have a bigger magnet than most speakers.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:22 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

You should bottom mount them. Put the rings underneath the deck, then screw them in using the holes from the stock mounting. Then mount the speakers to the rings from the bottom. Make sure to use foam or some thing to squeeze into the tight locations to assure a seal.

Def seal every feaseble place that air will come through from the trunk to the cabin.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:27 AM

There are alot of holes on top of the rear deck.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by ICULookN
There are alot of holes on top of the rear deck.
This is not news.

I will run a sheet of deadner over the whole deck, after I have covered the large hole in the center with wood or plexi...