Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Dynomat installation??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 07:33 PM

i want to know if anyone here has dynomatted their trunk themselves. i want to know if its a difficult and long process. my trunk rattles like a **** and i would like for the trunk to stop rattlin. also other than the trunk whereelse can u apply the dynamat???
Old 08-01-2001, 08:25 PM
Disco Biscuit

Well, its not hard at all. But it is time consuming, and tiring. Just make sure you clean all the metal with alcohol first, or the dynamat wont stick very well. I would do the trunk, the trunk lid, the rear deck in the cabin, and anywhere else you hear rattles coming from. The plastic pillars in the 4 corners of the cabin are a good source of rattles. It is worth it, it is very simple to do, and very rewarding. Just take your time, make sure your working in the shade if its hot, and work with smaller pieces, as it makes it easier to handle and apply.....
Old 08-01-2001, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by Whitemax
Well, its not hard at all. But it is time consuming, and tiring. Just make sure you clean all the metal with alcohol first, or the dynamat wont stick very well. I would do the trunk, the trunk lid, the rear deck in the cabin, and anywhere else you hear rattles coming from. The plastic pillars in the 4 corners of the cabin are a good source of rattles. It is worth it, it is very simple to do, and very rewarding. Just take your time, make sure your working in the shade if its hot, and work with smaller pieces, as it makes it easier to handle and apply.....
Well said...take your time and do it right or else when it starts to peel and come off later...you'll be sorry you didn't do it right the first time.
Old 08-02-2001, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by 99niner99

Well said...take your time and do it right or else when it starts to peel and come off later...you'll be sorry you didn't do it right the first time.

does anyone have a link to where i can find directions??
Old 08-02-2001, 12:04 PM

cool thanks alot for the help
Old 08-06-2001, 05:19 PM

Dynamat

Dynamat makes a kit specifically designed for the trunk of a car with a special type of Dynamat for the trunk lid, quarter panels and remaining surface area. If you can get your hands on one of those kits you wil be in great shape. I have seen them at Circuit City and other smaller shops. Most places that carry Dynamat can order the trunk kit even if they don't have it in stock.

The Dynamat should be applied to a clean surface. The best way to apply it is to set it down where you want it and use a heat gun to mold it to the car's contours, making sure that there are no bubbles. The heat gun is vital in my opinion. It makes the Dynamat stick 100 times better that just pressing it to the car with a roller tool.
Old 08-06-2001, 10:30 PM

Re: Dynamat

Originally posted by StaindMaxima
Dynamat makes a kit specifically designed for the trunk of a car with a special type of Dynamat for the trunk lid, quarter panels and remaining surface area. If you can get your hands on one of those kits you wil be in great shape. I have seen them at Circuit City and other smaller shops. Most places that carry Dynamat can order the trunk kit even if they don't have it in stock.

The Dynamat should be applied to a clean surface. The best way to apply it is to set it down where you want it and use a heat gun to mold it to the car's contours, making sure that there are no bubbles. The heat gun is vital in my opinion. It makes the Dynamat stick 100 times better that just pressing it to the car with a roller tool.
thanks for the info
Old 08-07-2001, 08:13 PM

See if you can find someone who works at Circuit City, it cost about 55 dollars. A lot cheaper than the 129 or so. Trust me it is worth it. I had to turn my amp gains down after using it.

K
Old 08-07-2001, 09:03 PM

Cost...

does anyone know how much (about how much) it would cost to buy dynamat and have it installed by someone else at a sound shop? will they even do it? I really don't have the time or know how, and I especially don't have the patience. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-08-2001, 05:43 AM
Disco Biscuit

ALOT. Figure its around $50 an hour to get a local shop to do anything, and figure 2 to 3 hours( on the low side) to do the installs, plus the fortune they charge for Dynamat, you're looking at some change. forum.elitecaraudio.com has a guy on there named rick that is selling a sound treatment stuff on there he calls RAAMmat for $55 for a 50 sq. ft roll. That is an insainly low price for sound treatment. It's very plyable,(unlike dynamat), VERY sticky,(unlike dynamat), and has an aluminum face to it. I used it to do my car, and it was the easiest stuff to work with I've ever used, becuase you dont need a heat gun.
http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showt...threadid=26341
Old 08-08-2001, 06:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How many rolls do you think you need for a Max?

Del
Old 08-08-2001, 06:37 PM

Dynamat

A trunk kit install at Circuit City is $62, plus the kit, at least in my area, the northeast. I am in Mass, I will do it much cheaper.

Ryan
Old 08-08-2001, 07:37 PM
Disco Biscuit

Originally posted by delio
How many rolls do you think you need for a Max?

Del
It realy depends on how much you want to do. The trunk, front doors, rear deck, all the pillars and the center console are what I've found rattle the most. I used close to 100 sq. ft, and it's stopped just about all of it.
Old 08-08-2001, 11:17 PM

is there anything else that i can use but dynamat?? its pretty expenisve and i want to know if there is another cheaper method
Old 08-09-2001, 11:33 AM

A trunk kit install at Circuit City is $62, plus the kit, at least in my area, the northeast. I am in Mass, I will do it much cheaper.

Ryan
i go to school in amherst, where are you and how much would you charge to do it??
Old 08-09-2001, 03:06 PM
Disco Biscuit

Originally posted by khrfadz
is there anything else that i can use but dynamat?? its pretty expenisve and i want to know if there is another cheaper method
See my above post about RAAMmat.
Old 08-09-2001, 04:11 PM

Re: Re: Dynamat

I am 10 mins from Providence in SE Mass. $50 and I will install it for you. Lemme know ahead of time and I can probably get the trunk kit really cheap for you too.

Ryan
MECP Certified Installer
Old 08-11-2001, 08:33 PM

I'm currently in process of using raam mat to do the inner part of all my doors. After that I will finish the rear deck, headliner (pray for me) pillars, and my wheel wells. I want to get some ideas from you guys on what should I do about the wheel wells to cut down on road noise.

And here is the link to my website with over 100 sound deadening pics and tons of info on my maxima.

http://maxima.cardomain.com/id/sweetsound2001

Anton
Old 08-12-2001, 06:35 AM
Disco Biscuit

Anton, you're a brave soul to tackle the headliner. Isnt there foam in there already from the factory though?
Old 08-13-2001, 12:19 AM

There may be some foam but I will apply damping sheets (2 layers) and glue some carpet padding as well. Will see how it goes. I just put in two layers of raam mat in my rear doors. I love the way they sound when I slam them shut. It's just a thud, without any resonance.
Old 08-13-2001, 07:45 AM

What part of the wheelwell are you concerned with. Can you just spray a ton of undercoating on it? I think Rockford or somebody makes a Dynamat type substance that gets sprayed on if undercoating wont do the trick.