Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Where should I have them put my x-overs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Where should I have them put my x-overs?

I'm having a set of components and an amp installed at a shop here in town and wanted to know where I should have them install my x-overs.

From my understanding, they usually go in the doors, but there are more ideal places. The shop tells me that the install price will go up as the location changes, but if I have to pay a few extra clams for the best spot, then I guess it'll be so.

So where do you guys like them? Is there an ideal place? In the trunk, under the passenger seat, in the stock kick panels (in a 4th gen) or somewhere else? Which would be the most expensive locale and the least? Is there a best of both worlds? Kick panel maybe?

Oh and in correlation to the install, I was wanting them to use 12 gauge speaker wire. I think they may have mentioned that using 16 would do just fine and there would be an extra install charge because of the increased difficulty of using a larger wire. Is that a load of exaggerated dung or is there really a huge diff between the 12 & 16 that would make it a harder install? Anyway

Thanks for your help.

& a side note: I was going to get my own amp kit and have them use that, but they jack you again if you don't use their stuff.

Oh, and if you say "just do it yourself" I'll kill you!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:36 PM

DIY it...jk. How big are the xovers? I like em in the kicks or under a seat personally. Charging more for a different location is BS...wish there was an orger close to you to help.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by VTonmymind
Oh, and if you say "just do it yourself" I'll kill you!
That's hilarious. N E ways, I've seen folks get them mounted in the kick panels, when there isn't enough room in the doors.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:53 PM

Behind the kick panels is a great place...
Old 03-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by slickrick
DIY it...jk. How big are the xovers? I like em in the kicks or under a seat personally. Charging more for a different location is BS...wish there was an orger close to you to help.
How big?...uh..I dunno really. Decently sized I guess, but I don't know what to compare them to. They're the Profi kick crossovers. Would you classify them as being bigger than most or averagely sized?

And...no validity to charging more for the placement? I was wondering about that. I also wonder if it's the same with going with 12 gauge instead of 16 too?

Originally Posted by ICEMAN76
That's hilarious. N E ways, I've seen folks get them mounted in the kick panels, when there isn't enough room in the doors.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:06 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

16 gauge is fine, 12 is overkill. Charging more is ridiculous.

DO IT YOURSELF!!.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:10 PM

And...no validity to charging more for the placement? I was wondering about that. I also wonder if it's the same with going with 12 gauge instead of 16 too?[/QUOTE]

Don't know about that, but I can see why they would. It is a little bit thicker than 16 guage wire. Possibly a little harder to manipulate.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by nismos14

DO IT YOURSELF!!.

I will fukking kill you!
Old 03-12-2008, 08:21 PM

im surprised they arent charging more because the brand name is rainbow...if you can fit the profi x overs in the kick panels i say try it out..if not under the seat.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I put mine under the seats.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

im surprised they arent charging more because the brand name is rainbow...if you can fit the profi x overs in the kick panels i say try it out..if not under the seat.
If they tried to charge more for that I would tell them to suck a fart. The guys there seemed to be pretty excited about installing them though. I guess they want to hear what they sound like.

And Yup, I'm gonna try the kick panels. Curious about under the seat though. Are they protected enough? Big gulp disasters, rain or since I'll be moving up north soon, melting snow pack on the floor board gonna be a problem for them?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:38 PM

I have my big Germanium xovers under the passenger seat and I'm happy with it...Fl rain and all.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Aye. Very good then.

So.......in summation

Crossovers in the kicks or under the seat (and scrap the trunk idea)

Charging me more to put the crossovers anywhere else other than the door is absurd. (I wonder how I can haggle with them on that? What is it that makes them think that it's worth an extra charge?)

16 gauge speaker wire is just fine and will be no less effective than the 12 gauge so roll with that especially if they try to take me to jam city.

And lastly, go with no less than 4 gauge power wire. (Any other gauge suitable?). I'll be curious to know if they charge me more for the install of 4 awg power wire too.

Anyway...thank you very much for your inputs so far gentlemen. Much obliged.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:29 PM

I don't drink huge drinks in my car anyway. 1. b/c there is no place to put it and 2. b/c of my crossovers. I can't wait to see the pics of the finished product.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by filtor1
I don't drink huge drinks in my car anyway. 1. b/c there is no place to put it and 2. b/c of my crossovers. I can't wait to see the pics of the finished product.
with all that bass the cup would spill over anyway.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:31 PM

I put mine in behind my heater controls underneath - I have 4 there, and they fit in perfectly.
03 Maxima 6spd..

Your cheapest place and easiest will be in the doors though. Otherwise tucked up in the dash if they are properly placed..
Old 03-13-2008, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by JoshP2002
I put mine in behind my heater controls underneath - I have 4 there, and they fit in perfectly.
03 Maxima 6spd..
Wow, I didn't think there was that much room behind the heater controls for all 4 of them to fit. What kind are they?? R they kinda small or is there just that much room in there?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Wow, I didn't think there was that much room behind the heater controls for all 4 of them to fit. What kind are they?? R they kinda small or is there just that much room in there?
Good question. My Ipod adapter seems to rest comfortably behind mine and its slightly bigger than my crossovers but I wonder if my crossovers will fit behind the heater controls too. Feels and looks like a jumbled mess back there.

So what do you say Josh, think they will fit behind the controls in a 4th Gen too?
Old 03-13-2008, 07:29 PM

Good question. My Ipod adapter seems to rest comfortably behind mine and its slightly bigger than my crossovers but I wonder if my crossovers will fit behind the heater controls too. Feels and looks like a jumbled mess back there.
Wow, good idea. I'm getting my HU installed soon, and now I'm thinking about putting my IPOD adapter behind the heater controls too. If it'll fit.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Wow, good idea. I'm getting my HU installed soon, and now I'm thinking about putting my IPOD adapter behind the heater controls too. If it'll fit.
It'll fit just fine. Just make sure that it's fairly secure and not swimming around back there. The dingleberry's at C.C just tossed it back there and the connection came loose after a while of bombing around town.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:06 PM

Damn!! I wouldn't trust cc with my car. I know more about their products than they do.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Damn!! I wouldn't trust cc with my car. I know more about their products than they do.
Yup, as i have learned the hard way. Some CC shops do have guys who give a damn and have pride in what they're doing but they don't seem to last long as they move on to more rewarding and appreciative gigs. I thought they had some decent guys when I went there, but I guess I caught the 3rd string team that day or something.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:55 PM

just do it yourself
Old 03-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by dashan
just do it yourself
Old 03-14-2008, 05:19 PM

Yup, as i have learned the hard way. Some CC shops do have guys who give a damn and have pride in what they're doing but they don't seem to last long as they move on to more rewarding and appreciative gigs. I thought they had some decent guys when I went there, but I guess I caught the 3rd string team that day or something.
You probably got the guys that got cut from the team. LOL
Old 03-18-2008, 09:48 AM

Is there a tweeter near you ?
I will go there before circuit city. Also dont be scared to put it where you want to put it! It is your car and your money! Do it right the first time. I like mine next to my amp so if there is a problem I can go to one place to check it out!
Old 03-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by JPIZZLE
Is there a tweeter near you ?
I will go there before circuit city. Also dont be scared to put it where you want to put it! It is your car and your money! Do it right the first time. I like mine next to my amp so if there is a problem I can go to one place to check it out!
Down here we have HI-FI Buys but they seem to be disappearing. I've had them do installs for me in the past (with good results) but their current shops, if I can find one, seem run down and are littered with shark like sales hustlers swimming around. It's been a while since I've been to one, but that was my last impression. Needless to say, I don't trust them like I used to.

Curious though, where's your amp? In the trunk or under your seat?
Old 03-24-2008, 12:03 PM

Finally getting those puppies in . Let us know what you think of em. The x-over's are pretty small so they can be tucked just about anywhere.

As far as under the seat installs and electronics. I've had my amps under the seats for a while now. Go the mountains when it snows, and have kids that eat in there as well. Never had any issues.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
Finally getting those puppies in . Let us know what you think of em. The x-over's are pretty small so they can be tucked just about anywhere.

As far as under the seat installs and electronics. I've had my amps under the seats for a while now. Go the mountains when it snows, and have kids that eat in there as well. Never had any issues.
Yeah buddy! I'm in the process now and as soon as they're in, I'll give you my pre and post break in impressions. Man, I can't wait.

I am finding it hard to locate a shop or installer I feel comfortable with though, so it still might take a bit longer. *****. You'd think in a town this size, It'd be a can of corn, but every place I've been to so far, they've wanted to pimp my ride. Last quote this past weekend was for over a grand. Savages. Honestly, I'm finally getting to the point where I might tackle this myself. I just don't want to frick anything up, hence my tulip-like approach to this whole deal, but maybe I should just DO IT MYSELF. Fawk

Anyway..enough of my rambling about, how are yours sounding now that you've passed your 10 hour break in period? Big diff between then and now? Must be awesome.

oh and if I can ask you a quickie, did you put your gear under your seat in your 4th Gen or just your 5th? Reason I ask is cause I've heard that the 5th has a little bit more room and wonder if an amp under a 4th Gen seat will fly.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:09 AM

I am very happy with my set. It was just the sound I was after, very smooth. The sound seemed to have fattened up a bit after they were broken in.

I have my amps under the seat on my 5th gen, in the 4th they were in the trunk.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

I installed mine in the trunk. Took a bit more wiring, but it looks clean and they're out of the way.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:37 AM

Yeah buddy! I'm in the process now and as soon as they're in, I'll give you my pre and post break in impressions. Man, I can't wait.

I am finding it hard to locate a shop or installer I feel comfortable with though, so it still might take a bit longer. *****. You'd think in a town this size, It'd be a can of corn, but every place I've been to so far, they've wanted to pimp my ride. Last quote this past weekend was for over a grand. Savages. Honestly, I'm finally getting to the point where I might tackle this myself. I just don't want to frick anything up, hence my tulip-like approach to this whole deal, but maybe I should just DO IT MYSELF. Fawk
http://www.audiodesignsofatlanta.com/

You'll likely get what you pay for there though...i.e. it won't be the bargain shop.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
I am very happy with my set. It was just the sound I was after, very smooth. The sound seemed to have fattened up a bit after they were broken in.

I have my amps under the seat on my 5th gen, in the 4th they were in the trunk.
Fattened up. Aye. So it's a fattening up thing and not a crisp up thing. Excellent.

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
I installed mine in the trunk. Took a bit more wiring, but it looks clean and they're out of the way.
Looks like my junk should be in the trunk then. Very good.

I did take the stock kick panels off and it seems that it might be just a little to small to jam my crossovers in there so it looks like either in the trunk or under the seat (still exploring that.

kpr10is what do you think?
Old 03-29-2008, 08:18 PM

I'm not kevin But I like under the seat for ease of access and it's an easy installation...Kevin did mine.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

I'm not kevin But I like under the seat for ease of access and it's an easy installation...Kevin did mine.
I hope he'll do mine too
Old 03-29-2008, 08:44 PM

I hope he'll do mine too
the local stores rubbed you the wrong way eh?
Old 03-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

the local stores rubbed you the wrong way eh?
Just haven't been feelin' it. Not that they've rubbed me the wrong way or anything, but I want a more personable, unbiased and helpful learning experience. I also want a quality install. Someday, I'd love to be able to do all this fun stuff by myself, but right now I don't dare. I also don't have the time. Seems that with these cats I won't learn a dogone thing and have to trust that they give a crap about me and my stuff. So far, I haven't been feeling that, just how can we pinch you or uninspired "yeah we can do this for this amount" jive. Bottom line is that I want to find someone that I can learn from, have a good experience with and most importantly have do a good job.