Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

2K2 Max Steering Wheel Audio Controls

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 12:16 PM

2K2 Max Steering Wheel Audio Controls

Hey, I'm a newbie, true, but I've scoured the forums to see if anyone has hacked the steering wheel audio controls on a 2002 to work with an aftermarket head unit. Has anyone done this yet? Probably a very custom, high $$$$ thing, but I thought I'd check.
If I can't get that done without spending a fortune, I want to get a high quality line-level converter and use the stock deck with my ampa and speakers
Old 10-30-2001, 02:44 PM
Very sound, Mike

Re: 2K2 Max Steering Wheel Audio Controls

A couple have done it here. There's a controller available at Crutchfield that retails for less than $100 that you can use but i know of anyone who was able to test it out.

If it work that will settle the audio controls but there doesn't seem to be any luck with making the trip computer buttons work after that

Originally posted by 2002 SE TX
Hey, I'm a newbie, true, but I've scoured the forums to see if anyone has hacked the steering wheel audio controls on a 2002 to work with an aftermarket head unit. Has anyone done this yet? Probably a very custom, high $$$$ thing, but I thought I'd check.
If I can't get that done without spending a fortune, I want to get a high quality line-level converter and use the stock deck with my ampa and speakers
Old 10-30-2001, 07:04 PM

model# is PACSW3, car toys said they could do it but b/c the packaging didn't say anything about 2002 model cars at all it would be safer to wait for one that does--they said they did it on a PT Cruiser and it caused a small fire under the dash--crutchfield does have a new one that mentions 2002 BMWs but not maxs i think the model# is PACSWI-X
Old 11-01-2001, 07:31 PM

I got a reply back from PAC, who makes the interface to use the steering wheel controls with aftermarket heads. They said the trip computer functions will not be affected by use of the SWI-X interface.
Old 11-06-2001, 07:27 PM

Update from PAC on the trip computer

Well now PAC says that the trip computer will NOT work when you use their steering wheel control interface, like several of you had said here. They are trying to get a wiring schematic for the 2K2 and devise a fix.
Old 11-06-2001, 07:33 PM

I have an aftermark headunit, and it comes with a remote. Dont' most headunits come with one? If so not having the controls on the wheel is not that bad.
Old 11-07-2001, 12:07 AM
Very sound, Mike

Perhaps, but we also have a trip computer to deal with. It seems putting an aftermarket headunit disabled the buttons for the trip computer as well.

And personally, i've tried the remotes for aftermarket headunits and steering wheel mounted controls (OEM) and i find the OEM much easier to use just for the fact that it's part of the steering wheel and mounted in a better place.

Originally posted by ItalianMax2kSE
I have an aftermark headunit, and it comes with a remote. Dont' most headunits come with one? If so not having the controls on the wheel is not that bad.
Old 11-07-2001, 08:55 AM
PAC
Newbie - Just Registered

What is the trip computer and what is its purpose? What kind/many of buttons are there for the trip computer on the steering wheel? What are the functions of each of the buttons? Does the stock radio display anything that has to do with the trip computer? I need some information to see if it is something we can tackle or something that would be almost impossible to interface.

Also, on one of the two plugs that are removed from the stereo (not the power, speaker wires) is there a blu/yel, red, and brown wire in the plug? And on the other plug which should be the trip computer plug, how many wires/color are there?

Our supplier of wiring diagrams does not have Nissan books. So if any one gets their hands on one for the 2002 Maxima, let us know so we can get copies of the electrical diagrams.
Old 11-07-2001, 09:03 AM
Very sound, Mike

Basically tells the "distance to empty", "mileage", "outside temperature", "travel time" on the right guage where the tach is. (You cycle through this with just one button, and no there is no display on the radio but for some reason is connected to it)

There's just one button if i remember right and is located in the same set of buttons where the audio controls are.

From what i gathered from mattatax (sp?) and a couple of friends, when the headunit was taken out all the steering wheel mounted audio controls as well as the trip computer button was rendered useless.

That's about all i know at this point. If you're located in Houston i could probably let you look at my car.

Originally posted by PAC
What is the trip computer and what is its purpose? What kind/many of buttons are there for the trip computer on the steering wheel? What are the functions of each of the buttons? Does the stock radio display anything that has to do with the trip computer? I need some information to see if it is something we can tackle or something that would be almost impossible to interface.

Also, on one of the two plugs that are removed from the stereo (not the power, speaker wires) is there a blu/yel, red, and brown wire in the plug? And on the other plug which should be the trip computer plug, how many wires/color are there?
Old 11-07-2001, 09:16 AM
PAC
Newbie - Just Registered

Well it sounds like something we possibly can interface. Any body near Santa Ana, CA that can come to our place so we can take some measurements? In return we can give you a SWI-X steering wheel interface. Give us a call to set something up. Ask for techsupport.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:05 AM

I did get the SWI-X from Crutchfield and am having it put in this afternoon. I'll post the results of this later.
It may be important to note that (& this is hard to explain but...)
When the car is started, the trip odometer cycles through each of the options you would normally cycle through by pressing the trip button.
TEMPERATURE is the first readout on the odometer and also the last (as this (TEMP)is what it is stuck on with the trip button inactive)the first time TEMPERATURE is shown it reads "---F" (F is for degrees)
Then the readout is "234 dte" (or how ever many miles you have till empty)
Then the readout is "----MPG" (the readout shows each of these for about 1.5 seconds)
Then the readout is "----MPH"
Then the readout is just "----" (this would normally read the journey time)
Finally the readout is back to TEMPERATURE and reads "73 F" (or whatever the temperature is)

SO...my guess is that "dte" is the only thing reading immediately after the car is started...so because TEMPERATURE is not reading the first time it comes up (like the others) (but then it is after the car has been started a little while) I believe the others will work(have a reading other than "---", like TEMPERATURE) when the trip button is active.

The importance of all of this:

the devices that actually do the "reading or measuring" of TEMP., dte, MPG, MPH, journey time are all working, so their readouts MUST be connected to the trip computer's display, SO... the problem really lies in just activating the trip button so these readouts can be cycled through manually

BTW there are two sets of (unconnected) wires that would normally be connected (and were) to my Bose stereo (it looks like they're coming from the steering wheel controls) so I'm sure one is for the audio controls and the other is for the trip computer--

Hope this helps give a better understanding, sorry it's so long
anyone can feel free to give me a call at (281) 468-2964, name's Matt, if you have any questions
Old 11-07-2001, 10:25 AM

Wiring diagram

the wiring diagram for the 2002 maxima is in the service manual, which well is over 1000 pages and costs $275 to get--here's the phone number of where to order it if anyone wants to look into this further---i don't have $275
Old 11-07-2001, 10:29 AM

actually the dealership can get it for $150--no more posts for me