Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Fix for poor Sirius XM satellite reception in a 2009 Nissan Maxima...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 07:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fix for poor Sirius XM satellite reception in a 2009 Nissan Maxima...

My wife inherited a 2009 Maxima from her mother and the Sirius XM radio fuzzes out...a lot. I found out the satellite antenna is integrated with the terrestrial shark fin antenna on the roof so it couldn't be replaced easily and I'm not sure replacing it would help anyway. I think it just had bad reception from the factory. I bought the latest SiriusXM NGVA3 magnetic mount antenna and found a place to install it underneath the rear deck. It solved the reception problem so I registered for the forum to share it with you. All you have to do is crawl upside down inside the trunk, remove two plastic rivets, pull down the panel to expose the XM satellite module, unplug or pry out the purple Fakra K XM antenna connector and plug the NGVA3 antenna into the connector. It's a tight fit but it will snap into place if you put enough pressure on it. Conversely you could use a Fakra K adapter but it's really not necessary and only adds another connection that could potentially weaken the signal. Then push the magnetic antenna through the large hole near near the XM module so the magnetic base sits on top of the rear metal deck. That's it. You could fish the antenna wire through the trunk lid's rubber boot that the license plate light wires pass through and place the antenna on top of the trunk lid itself but I don't think it's necessary. The only thing between the antenna and the outside is some plastic and the large sloping back glass which gives the antenna a fairly wide view of the sky. Hope this helps someone with poor satellite reception!

Attached Thumbnails Fix for poor Sirius XM satellite reception in a 2009 Nissan Maxima...-20180107_172129_diagram.jpg   Fix for poor Sirius XM satellite reception in a 2009 Nissan Maxima...-20180107_171817_diagram.jpg  
Old 08-02-2019, 03:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you!!

Stumbled across this, tried it, and my reception has vastly improved!! Thank you!