Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Alternative to DYNAMAT.... WHAT????

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 11:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by retrodrive
Mike. What is this whistling sound coming from under your hood?
LS400 brothas reunited and..no, it's not the crickets...

Originally posted by Mikesburn

See, that's what I think, the good brand and much power is the key.
What is the infinite baffle??? Give me the definition, coz I want to put my sub facing into the car in the 1.5 cubic feet box, so there is no air leakege, no bass in the trunk, probably that's why it booms, because the half of the bass goes into the runk, damit.

Want to hear your oppinions on that!
Infinite baffle is a board that basically separates the rear and front waves of the sub and prevents them from cancelling each other out. If you want to face the box towards the front of the car, I highly recommend firing it through the armrest and completely sealed off from the trunk. The bass will radiate directly into the cabin and minimize the rattling although I'm sure the IDmax will lend you a nice helping hand in the rattling department

The car is indeede being driven by my mom who purchased it. The stereo is back to stock and she daily complains to me about how hard it is to close the door (6 layers of raam mat, 1 layer carpet padding, deflex pads and rubberized undercoat...hehe). I'm currently in the process of designing a 3 speaker stereo for my 1993 LS400 with help of Retrodrive. The stereo will consist of Pioneer DEX-P1R, three amplifiers, one servo-driven 10" Velodyne subwoofer IB setup and 6.5" A/D/S COAXIALS in the factory front door locations..

Anton
Old 03-14-2002, 07:26 PM

does Peel and Seal or that weatherguard stuff really work? I don't want to spend a ton of money. The only problem I have is my trunk lid rattling. I'm just worried that it will do nothing and ill be stuck with it in my car.
Old 03-14-2002, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by Lytheum
does Peel and Seal or that weatherguard stuff really work? I don't want to spend a ton of money. The only problem I have is my trunk lid rattling. I'm just worried that it will do nothing and ill be stuck with it in my car.
I've personally used Peal and Seal and there's no way it's designed for car audio. It's for pipes and home bathroom applications. It doesn't stick that good, Not trying to be mean to the designers of it, but just it doesn't work with small metal door parts, where flexibility and stickness is the most important!!!!!!!!!!
Theat's it!
Old 03-14-2002, 10:00 PM

How about Iceguard, weatherguard.......or stormguard? I was reading stuff on other boards about people using stormguard and 3m spray glue to make it stick better........all I really want it for is to keep the trunk lid from rattling.
Old 03-14-2002, 10:03 PM

I've personally used Peal and Seal and there's no way it's designed for car audio. It's for pipes and home bathroom applications. It doesn't stick that good, Not trying to be mean to the designers of it, but just it doesn't work with small metal door parts, where flexibility and stickness is the most important!!!!!!!!!!
Theat's it!
Forget the Raam mat and peel and seal. Get your self some foil. Make sure it's flame retardant, cuz here they come
Old 03-14-2002, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001

Forget the Raam mat and peel and seal. Get your self some foil. Make sure it's flame retardant, cuz here they come
I'm kinda iterested, I've used this foil until I got to Raam matt or Dynamat extreme, but it doesn't give you this effect as all these Dynamatts do. I understand that you're trying to save money, that's what I did the first, but foil doesn't give you this effect, you'll just spend much time and what resultz???
Old 03-15-2002, 12:58 AM

I'm kinda iterested, I've used this foil until I got to Raam matt or Dynamat extreme, but it doesn't give you this effect as all these Dynamatts do. I understand that you're trying to save money, that's what I did the first, but foil doesn't give you this effect, you'll just spend much time and what resultz???
You don't get it. It was a joke. I was saying you're gonna get flamed for dissing peel and seal.

Anton
Old 03-16-2002, 07:22 AM
jmax

Originally posted by Lytheum
How about Iceguard, weatherguard.......or stormguard? I was reading stuff on other boards about people using stormguard and 3m spray glue to make it stick better........all I really want it for is to keep the trunk lid from rattling.
From my experience the weatherguard is decent stuff,but not as sticky as the ramm mat/peel and seal. Nor does it have the debefit of an aluminum barrier layer. The owens weatherlock needs to be purchased with the smooth surface, so that you don't get sand all over the car. The peel and seal sticks marvelously. If it isn't sticky when you buy it, it's because it has been sitting on the shelf or on a pallet someplace for several months or longer. A quick blast with a heat gun seems to rejuvenate the adhesive. The ramm mat that I would get at this point is the thicker material, the new stuff he is selling. It's about a third thicker, on the adhesive side. Which is the majority of the material. But shippiong charges for 28 lbs from California to the east coast is kinda high, when the same stuff is for sale at lowes and other building material stores.

Old 03-16-2002, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by jmax

From my experience the weatherguard is decent stuff,but not as sticky as the ramm mat/peel and seal. Nor does it have the debefit of an aluminum barrier layer. The owens weatherlock needs to be purchased with the smooth surface, so that you don't get sand all over the car. The peel and seal sticks marvelously. If it isn't sticky when you buy it, it's because it has been sitting on the shelf or on a pallet someplace for several months or longer. A quick blast with a heat gun seems to rejuvenate the adhesive. The ramm mat that I would get at this point is the thicker material, the new stuff he is selling. It's about a third thicker, on the adhesive side. Which is the majority of the material. But shippiong charges for 28 lbs from California to the east coast is kinda high, when the same stuff is for sale at lowes and other building material stores.
Well you're right. Shipping takes quite a few bucks, but even this comaring to Lowes product, and again. let me tell you, we've used Lowes peel and stick, Rick personaly did not like it. coz really it did not stick, that's from our experiense. If you like Lowes, I'm honestly happy for you, coz you can save some bucks, although I've choosen Raam matt for my car definitely. BTW, today I've covered the whol rear panel with Raam, coz I'm putting IDMAX into the back seat, facing front (in the sealed box)