Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Help with LCD installation!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 03:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Help with LCD installation!

I am trying to install a 5.6" Reactor LCD in my car and I am having some problems. All the connections seem fine and have been double checked. It is connected to a dvd player which seems to be running properly.

The problem that I am having is that the LCD is only showing black and white. Unless I was ripped off, this should be a COLOR LCD as that is exactly what it says on the face of it... "TFT Color Monitor"

I would appreciate any help/suggestions/anything.. I am wracking my brain trying to think of what it could be.. It should just be like hooking up a VCR at home, other than the 12V part so I am not sure what I am doing wrong...

Thanks..

MaxMojo
Old 03-02-2002, 03:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What type of connections are you using?
Old 03-02-2002, 09:28 PM
Former Sponsor

New problem... :(

Originally posted by 97StockSE
What type of connections are you using?
I'm not sure what I did but in the process of checking all my connections, it eventually worked.. Color is there.

However there is a new problem.. A rather big one..
My car doesn't start. All the electronics work fine... I go to start the car and it completely dies. All the lights go out and the car is dead. turn the key back and try again but there is no juice.. However as I slam the door to get out and take a look, the electronics come back on but when I try to start her up, dead again..
I go to the battery, remove the positive terminal and replace it and then i can start my car... turn it off and try again and it won't start.

Have I F'ed something up bad?

Thanks for any help...
Old 03-03-2002, 09:39 PM

Re: New problem... :(

Originally posted by MaxMoJo

I'm not sure what I did but in the process of checking all my connections, it eventually worked.. Color is there.

However there is a new problem.. A rather big one..
My car doesn't start. All the electronics work fine... I go to start the car and it completely dies. All the lights go out and the car is dead. turn the key back and try again but there is no juice.. However as I slam the door to get out and take a look, the electronics come back on but when I try to start her up, dead again..
I go to the battery, remove the positive terminal and replace it and then i can start my car... turn it off and try again and it won't start.

Have I F'ed something up bad?

Thanks for any help...
yeah that is a big problem....

when you were just getting black and white and no color would ur car start or not??? how long after u were not getting color did u check your connections??? just curious.....
Old 03-04-2002, 05:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Re: Re: New problem... :(

Originally posted by hockeyghst

yeah that is a big problem....

when you were just getting black and white and no color would ur car start or not??? how long after u were not getting color did u check your connections??? just curious.....
The car wouldn't start normally when I was getting black/white.. However, since then, the color has come back.. Don't know how.. Didn't really change anything.. Gonna keep an eye on it just in case its a faulty monitor.. The starting problem also went away after trying some people's suggestions on the 4th gen forum.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

MaxMojo
Old 03-04-2002, 05:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: New problem... :(

Originally posted by MaxMoJo

The car wouldn't start normally when I was getting black/white.. However, since then, the color has come back.. Don't know how.. Didn't really change anything.. Gonna keep an eye on it just in case its a faulty monitor.. The starting problem also went away after trying some people's suggestions on the 4th gen forum.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

MaxMojo
what were some of their suggestions???
Old 03-04-2002, 06:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Re: Re: Re: Re: New problem... :(

what were some of their suggestions???
Their suggestions were to clean my battery terminals and make sure it was tight.. That possibly the battery was running low because I had something on when doing the install. I cleaned the terminals and made sure they were nice and tight and haven't had a problem.. Not sure what made the color come back though...
Old 03-04-2002, 07:20 AM

good to hear its working, sounds like a loose - terminal. it happens. Where did you put the LCD monitors at? behind headrest? let me know, and where did you purchase them?
Old 03-04-2002, 09:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by nizmolee
good to hear its working, sounds like a loose - terminal. it happens. Where did you put the LCD monitors at? behind headrest? let me know, and where did you purchase them?
I only have one monitor and I mounted it smack in the middle, in front of the vents. I bought it a while ago from... Tundra electronics? It cost me $129 for a 5.6".. The brand is Reactor..
Old 03-04-2002, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by nizmolee
i put my 2 tv's in my headrest and i got them from ebay.......just some advice.....dont buy cheap tv's....i paid liek 120 shipped for each tv and i dont like the picture quality as good as the tv i have in my dash which cost me about 210 or so......

here is a link to the tv i have in my dash that has great pic quality.....

http://caraudiosale.safeshopper.com/26/42.htm?738
Old 05-08-2002, 12:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i put my 2 tv's in my headrest and i got them from ebay.......just some advice.....dont buy cheap tv's....i paid liek 120 shipped for each tv and i dont like the picture quality as good as the tv i have in my dash which cost me about 210 or so......

here is a link to the tv i have in my dash that has great pic quality.....

http://caraudiosale.safeshopper.com/26/42.htm?738
you told me that you uncle bought them for you, and that the picture quality was really good... whats up?
Old 05-09-2002, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by DrivinDaMax98

you told me that you uncle bought them for you, and that the picture quality was really good... whats up?
the picture quality is really good (960x234)......good enough for me at least...but the lcd screen in my front dash is about 10x (1024x400 something liek that...) better....