Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Where did you put your xm antena?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 10:13 AM

And how is the reception?
Old 03-19-2002, 10:18 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Re: Where did you put your xm antena?

Originally posted by Canuck
And how is the reception?
Rear deck lid, reception is great!
Old 03-19-2002, 10:22 AM

Re: Re: Where did you put your xm antena?

Originally posted by maximadave
Rear deck lid, reception is great!
I just got mine and put in in the rear window next to the 3rd brake light. Reception is CD quality and I drove it through a Narrow canyon with 2000 ft walls and only lost reception once for about 15 seconds.
Old 03-19-2002, 10:24 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Re: Re: Re: Where did you put your xm antena?

Originally posted by Canuck

I just got mine and put in in the rear window next to the 3rd brake light. Reception is CD quality and I drove it through a Narrow canyon with 2000 ft walls and only lost reception once for about 15 seconds.
That is actually pretty good. XM is suppose to have alot of "repeaters" across the U.S. for the best reception over Sirius.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:23 AM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Where did you put your xm antena?

Correct me here if i'm wrong but the reason this is so is due to their differences in technologies and their market presense to date.

Sirius' satellites are closer to the ground and has two of them always overlapping each other's signal to make sure there's no blindspots.

And given Sirius just started coming out in the market they don't have as much lead-time to put all the repeaters in place - not that they absolutely have to.

Btw Dave, is there such a LCD-based DVD/CD headunit that just fits flush on the 2k DDIN slot?

My gripe about the fold down faces is they're single din and flipping the screens does get tiresome and depending on the install could block the center A/C vents.

Theoretically i could still install it and fill up the other DIN with a center speaker or an EQ/X-Over but i don't like how "un-neat" it looks.

That is actually pretty good. XM is suppose to have alot of "repeaters" across the U.S. for the best reception over Sirius.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:28 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where did you put your xm antena?

Originally posted by soundmike
Correct me here if i'm wrong but the reason this is so is due to their differences in technologies and their market presense to date.

Sirius' satellites are closer to the ground and has two of them always overlapping each other's signal to make sure there's no blindspots.

And given Sirius just started coming out in the market they don't have as much lead-time to put all the repeaters in place - not that they absolutely have to.

Btw Dave, is there such a LCD-based DVD/CD headunit that just fits flush on the 2k DDIN slot?

My gripe about the fold down faces is they're single din and flipping the screens does get tiresome and depending on the install could block the center A/C vents.

Theoretically i could still install it and fill up the other DIN with a center speaker or an EQ/X-Over but i don't like how "un-neat" it looks.

Click on my homepage for pics of my Eclipse in dash screen iso-loaded in the dash. When you flip it up, yes it does block the vents but I just close the vents. There is plenty of air flowing through the other 2 vents in the car (in my opinion). Kenwood makes a din size center channel that is self amplified that will fit underneath the screen in the dash. Looks awesome. I don't have the center channel in my car since I don't believe in surround sound in the car. I think it belongs in the home. The Cardomain site for my homepage might be down. If it is check back later and look at the pics. Otherwise use a Nissan OEM pocket like me. It looks better than the aftermarket install kits.

Dave
Old 03-19-2002, 11:33 AM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where did you put your xm antena?

Yep i saw it, but i remember you mention something about that no longer being sold?

I'm just not keen of closing the two main vents. Once summer strikes in Houston you need all the cooling you can get

I've seen the Kenwood with the center speaker installed on Mattatax's car. Looks neat but again the covering up of the center vents...

To date i've only seen the Alpine DIN (single) screen that will play with the screen tucked inside or flipped out. But it's not touch screen nor does it support any tv tuning + satellite radio.

Click on my homepage for pics of my Eclipse in dash screen iso-loaded in the dash. When you flip it up, yes it does block the vents but I just close the vents. There is plenty of air flowing through the other 2 vents in the car (in my opinion). Kenwood makes a din size center channel that is self amplified that will fit underneath the screen in the dash. Looks awesome. I don't have the center channel in my car since I don't believe in surround sound in the car. I think it belongs in the home. The Cardomain site for my homepage might be down. If it is check back later and look at the pics. Otherwise use a Nissan OEM pocket like me. It looks better than the aftermarket install kits.

Dave
Old 03-19-2002, 11:34 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Almost forgot, Sirius hasn't launched yet here on the west coast so I couldn't tell you how good it is. I'm sure it is just as good as XM.
expected.

The manual flip up screens will last longer than the fully motorized screens.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:46 AM
Very sound, Mike

I've heard Sirius and XM side by side here in Houston and so far i'd say they're similar in quality. (Heard it played on a set of Infinity Entra Home Theater speakers)

The only thing i really like about Sirius is that they have more commercial free stations (albeit at $3 more/mo) and the fact that Clarion and Kenwood supports the format.

Any suggestions on a good LCD-based headunit that can be upgraded to play DVD's/TV and Sirius while still being capable of playing the radio/cd with the screen closed? (Like that Alpine i saw.. forgot the model number though)

Almost forgot, Sirius hasn't launched yet here on the west coast so I couldn't tell you how good it is. I'm sure it is just as good as XM.
expected.

The manual flip up screens will last longer than the fully motorized screens.
Old 03-19-2002, 03:15 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally posted by soundmike
I've heard Sirius and XM side by side here in Houston and so far i'd say they're similar in quality. (Heard it played on a set of Infinity Entra Home Theater speakers)

The only thing i really like about Sirius is that they have more commercial free stations (albeit at $3 more/mo) and the fact that Clarion and Kenwood supports the format.

Any suggestions on a good LCD-based headunit that can be upgraded to play DVD's/TV and Sirius while still being capable of playing the radio/cd with the screen closed? (Like that Alpine i saw.. forgot the model number though)

KENWOOD KVT911DVD has everything you want! Retail is $2400.00

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...oductTypeId=37

Here is your link...
Old 03-23-2002, 03:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

KENWOOD KVT911DVD has everything you want! Retail is $2400.00

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...oductTypeId=37

Here is your link...
Hey Dave...................Can I change the processor or whatever is under my seat with that of the KVT911DVD??? I want to be able to have Sirius when it comes out. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2002, 08:22 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally posted by big_dawg

Hey Dave...................Can I change the processor or whatever is under my seat with that of the KVT911DVD??? I want to be able to have Sirius when it comes out. Thanks.
Unfortunately not. Good news though! Blitzsafe is coming out with an adapter that plugs into most decks that have a cd changer plug in the back. You plug this adapter in and the other end plugs into a XM tuner box. Go this route if you want to go XM later on. Otherwise you'll have to buy the new KVT911DVD
Old 03-23-2002, 12:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Unfortunately not. Good news though! Blitzsafe is coming out with an adapter that plugs into most decks that have a cd changer plug in the back. You plug this adapter in and the other end plugs into a XM tuner box. Go this route if you want to go XM later on. Otherwise you'll have to buy the new KVT911DVD
That sucks!
Old 03-23-2002, 02:45 PM
Very sound, Mike

You can always get an aftermarket tuner. I know it sounds dinky, but the Jensen Sirius tuner looks good if you ask me (and i allegedly don't like Jensen products that much...).

It looks like a stopwatch with an indiglo type glow. check it out here

Originally posted by big_dawg

That sucks!
Old 03-26-2002, 07:48 PM

the rear deck lid is the 2nd best place if you dont wanna have the antenna outside the car. I install Pioneer XM radios atleast 5times a week so i know for a fact that it works fine either way

Ant
Old 03-27-2002, 07:42 AM
www.autotalk.com

I got mine on the rear speaker deck too.