Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

Course visualization

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 05:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Course visualization

OKay, I figured I'd start a thread about this. Do you guys have any tips/tricks for memorizing the course? I've been to several auto-x's, and run in one. My biggest "worry" is going off-course, because then your times don't count. I usually walk the course at least twice, even if I'm not running, as practice, but I saw some people drawing it, and some other people have other methods.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-25-2002, 07:27 AM

Re: Course visualization

Originally posted by Lime
OKay, I figured I'd start a thread about this. Do you guys have any tips/tricks for memorizing the course? I've been to several auto-x's, and run in one. My biggest "worry" is going off-course, because then your times don't count. I usually walk the course at least twice, even if I'm not running, as practice, but I saw some people drawing it, and some other people have other methods.

Any suggestions?
I just try to walk it 2-3 times. Sometimes more, but I'm usually too tired and lazy at that point. That seems to work pretty well for me, sometimes I get a few off courses here and there. If you're really screaming that's just going to happen from time to time.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:48 AM

It's interesting how courses vary...the soloII stuff is sick, but the local club stuff is not so bad. I just have a complete lack of confidence hehe.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:28 PM
Conecarver

Why not write one of these and then play it over and over

http://www.vmsc.org/fun/May12_with_sound.html
Old 06-26-2002, 07:16 AM

lol yeah I saw that...that one's probably beyond me....
Old 06-26-2002, 08:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it really varies from person to person. I walk it once and that's all I need. As long as you remember to look ahead a turn or two you could possibly even run it without knowing the course. But some people also walk it 4+ times.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:27 AM

Re: Re: Course visualization

Originally posted by iwannabmw

I just try to walk it 2-3 times. Sometimes more, but I'm usually too tired and lazy at that point. That seems to work pretty well for me, sometimes I get a few off courses here and there. If you're really screaming that's just going to happen from time to time.

hmmmmm... YOU WALK IT 2-3 times?????????????? who are you kidding, you'd be lucky if you looked at it from the staging

but yeah, just walk the course as many times as you can and then take an instructor w/ you, if they allow that then ask the instructors to help you w/ the course so you don't get lost
Old 06-27-2002, 07:06 AM

Re: Re: Re: Course visualization

Originally posted by Vinipux

hmmmmm... YOU WALK IT 2-3 times?????????????? who are you kidding, you'd be lucky if you looked at it from the staging

Say whatever you want, I still get lower times
Old 06-27-2002, 07:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Course visualization

Say whatever you want, I still get lower times
I know, that's what sucks, you're catching up to me in the season points, I hate you
Old 06-27-2002, 08:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: Course visualization

but yeah, just walk the course as many times as you can and then take an instructor w/ you, if they allow that then ask the instructors to help you w/ the course so you don't get lost
I hate the instructors heh. But anyway, I don't really have a problem with it; I just started the thread for informational purposes.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:04 AM
Conecarver

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Course visualization

I know, that's what sucks, you're catching up to me in the season points, I hate you
Both of you are still getting spanked by Matt's SE-R That's no good.
I know the feeling, I've got a pesky '91 SE-R here in Chicago doing the same to me.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Course visualization

Originally posted by BEJAY1

I know the feeling, I've got a pesky '91 SE-R here in Chicago doing the same to me.
shut up, he was driving while still in his mom's womb, so we can't compete w/ that (that's true actually) and he's also one of the instructors, so it shows that it's not he car, it's the driver

Vinipux
Old 06-27-2002, 03:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Course visualization

How did you know that? Are you checking up on us

Both Matt and that car are pretty damn good. His whole family pretty much owns the classes they run in.

Vinipux - Yeah, I'm catching up, but this year is going to still suck for me because of that entire first day.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:57 PM
Conecarver

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Course visualization

How did you know that? Are you checking up on us

Both Matt and that car are pretty damn good. His whole family pretty much owns the classes they run in.

Vinipux - Yeah, I'm catching up, but this year is going to still suck for me because of that entire first day.

Sorry for being nosy
It's a rare thing to have 2 or 3 Maxima's at the same event - I'm just envious.

I know what you mean about Matt. Our #1 STS driver and overall good guy is John Moore. #11 Nationwide in 2000
Solo2 Nat Champs 2000

Just keep up the pressure. Eventually either he or his LSD will start to slip.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Course visualization

Sorry for being nosy
It's a rare thing to have 2 or 3 Maxima's at the same event - I'm just envious.

Just keep up the pressure. Eventually either he or his LSD will start to slip.
It's not a problem, I just had no idea anyone would be interested in hunting for the times off that site.

I hope Matt's the one that slips, he's got 2 other cars for backup
Old 07-05-2002, 10:45 PM

Re: Course visualization

Originally posted by Lime

Any suggestions?
Walk through it at least twice, and take your time. No penalty for walking back through a corner to two to try different lines. Walk the course like you plan to drive it, and try different lines through the corners to set yourself up for the next one.

Muscle memory helps for some people, so they are "air-shifting" and counting the gear and number of shifts they should have.

Some of the more experienced drivers taught me to count the number of cones in the slaloms so you know which side to enter and exit for the next corner.

Other than that, while some people draw out the course, I haven't found this to be as helpful as visualization (that, and I'm just plain lazy).

Hope this helps,

Quack2x
Old 07-05-2002, 11:09 PM

am i allowed to bring a mini-scooter???? cuz i think it'll help me visualize the course and find the best line.. i'm dead serious..
Old 07-06-2002, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by mingo
am i allowed to bring a mini-scooter???? cuz i think it'll help me visualize the course and find the best line.. i'm dead serious..
Depends on the club, they all have different rules.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:54 AM

i can barely remember the track.. i mean i rememebr the turns but i cna't remember the best line to drive... it all goes by alot faster by car...
Old 07-08-2002, 02:26 AM

i can barely remember the track.. i mean i rememebr the turns but i cna't remember the best line to drive... it all goes by alot faster by car...
Not sure how it works up where you are, but down here, drivers also have to volunteer to work the track for one class.

You can pick the corner where you are having the most difficulty and work that corner, and watch to see how other people are taking that corner. You can look for cars with similar setups and watch their lines, then listen for the times at the end of their runs.

And yeah, it goes by a lot faster in a car. I often get caught driving the cones at the front of the car instead of driving for the next turn, and get behind in my steering. Just have to remember to look well ahead at where you want to be, not where you are.

Hope this helps,

Quack2x
Old 07-08-2002, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Quack 2x

Not sure how it works up where you are, but down here, drivers also have to volunteer to work the track for one class.

You can pick the corner where you are having the most difficulty and work that corner, and watch to see how other people are taking that corner. You can look for cars with similar setups and watch their lines, then listen for the times at the end of their runs.

And yeah, it goes by a lot faster in a car. I often get caught driving the cones at the front of the car instead of driving for the next turn, and get behind in my steering. Just have to remember to look well ahead at where you want to be, not where you are.

Hope this helps,

Quack2x
yep.. we gotta work too.. but then we work after we run so we don't get to drive on the track again unless we get fun runs.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:12 PM

yep.. we gotta work too.. but then we work after we run so we don't get to drive on the track again unless we get fun runs.
heh. they used to do that down here, but had problems with people running their class and then going home without working. left the people that were waiting to do their runs holding the bag. After the fun runs, people used to pack up and go home, leaving a handful of people to clean up. Now they lock up the gates and don't let any of the fun runners leave until the course is picked up.

Aloha,

Quack2x
Old 07-08-2002, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by Quack 2x

heh. they used to do that down here, but had problems with people running their class and then going home without working. left the people that were waiting to do their runs holding the bag. After the fun runs, people used to pack up and go home, leaving a handful of people to clean up. Now they lock up the gates and don't let any of the fun runners leave until the course is picked up.

Aloha,

Quack2x
heheheh.. i dont' think we need to clean up at all.. man.. for 25 bux a head plus the annual membership fees, i don't think we should be doing anything at all.. cept for running.. it is fun working tho.. getta see the cars going through turns alot better..