Dealership and Vendor Experiences Let other Maxima owners, or potential Maxima owners, which dealerships and shops you've had good or bad luck with.

My dealer ... man oh man

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006 | 11:34 AM

My dealer ... man oh man

I hope I'm posting this in the right section, anyhow here's my story ...

I was at my dealership today trying to pick up a few parts, the first part I asked for was a PCV valve, so the guy starts looking it up, 5 minutes later, he's still looking, 10 minutes later, some chick tries to help him find it. A few minutes later, she tracks down some tech/mechanic, he tries to tell her where it would be located on their system, they go at it for 5-10 minutes, couldn't find it, and the tech/mechanic leaves saying it doesn't exist on that car??????????????????????????? She then asks me, where is it located on your car? I tell her, she's still looking, tracks down tech/mechanic #2, he says ... "there should be one, ... well, I think" What the ?????? There should be one, crap these are the people who supposedly work on cars for a living? Anyhow, tech/mechanic #2 leaves, and #3 stops by, "why do you want to change it? I've NEVER seen one go bad" Crap he didn't know either, it wasn't until tech/mechanic #4 who told them where to find it, and it would be a good idea to change for maintenance/tune up. $h-- You mean, only one out of 4 knows his stuff??? This isn't a big shop, unfortunately for me, it's the only dealership around here, man ... stay away from that place! Anyhow, they finally find the part #, just to tell me they don't stock it. I would be worried to have any kind of maintenance/tune up work done there. In the end, 45 minutes just to find a part #.
Of course that's not the end of it, then I asked them for an oil drain plug, don't carry it, transmissioin drain plug, don't carry it, in cabin micro filter, don't carry it. Do they carry anything? All I have to say is, if you live in this city, buy a Nissan @ your own risk. Chances are, your vehicle will not be fixed properly.
Old 09-12-2006 | 11:46 AM

call daveb.. he's the man
Old 09-12-2006 | 12:12 PM

Just got off the phone w/ Daveb actually, and so far so good, he's the man!!!
Old 09-12-2006 | 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mints33
I hope I'm posting this in the right section, anyhow here's my story ...

I was at my dealership today trying to pick up a few parts, the first part I asked for was a PCV valve, so the guy starts looking it up, 5 minutes later, he's still looking, 10 minutes later, some chick tries to help him find it. A few minutes later, she tracks down some tech/mechanic, he tries to tell her where it would be located on their system, they go at it for 5-10 minutes, couldn't find it, and the tech/mechanic leaves saying it doesn't exist on that car??????????????????????????? She then asks me, where is it located on your car? I tell her, she's still looking, tracks down tech/mechanic #2, he says ... "there should be one, ... well, I think" What the ?????? There should be one, crap these are the people who supposedly work on cars for a living? Anyhow, tech/mechanic #2 leaves, and #3 stops by, "why do you want to change it? I've NEVER seen one go bad" Crap he didn't know either, it wasn't until tech/mechanic #4 who told them where to find it, and it would be a good idea to change for maintenance/tune up. $h-- You mean, only one out of 4 knows his stuff??? This isn't a big shop, unfortunately for me, it's the only dealership around here, man ... stay away from that place! Anyhow, they finally find the part #, just to tell me they don't stock it. I would be worried to have any kind of maintenance/tune up work done there. In the end, 45 minutes just to find a part #.
Of course that's not the end of it, then I asked them for an oil drain plug, don't carry it, transmissioin drain plug, don't carry it, in cabin micro filter, don't carry it. Do they carry anything? All I have to say is, if you live in this city, buy a Nissan @ your own risk. Chances are, your vehicle will not be fixed properly.
you should let the readers know where.
Old 09-12-2006 | 12:42 PM

Hey, do you live in Palatine, IL? I got my car from Arlington Nissan, in Buffalo Grove. Where abouts did you get yours and what's your model?
Old 09-12-2006 | 12:48 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

Hey, do you live in Palatine, IL? I got my car from Arlington Nissan, in Buffalo Grove. Where abouts did you get yours and what's your model?
Those are the homos that dropped my car off the lift back in 01
Old 09-12-2006 | 01:59 PM

I was never fond of their service dept, however they did fix my warped rotor issue back in the years when I lived in IL, Schaumburg Nissan wouldn't even touch them without charging me, saying rotors are not covered under the bumper to bumper warranty, and I almost bought my car from them.

The issues this morning happened at my local dealer here in SD. It just goes to show, good dealers/service dept. are hard to come by.
Old 09-12-2006 | 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stardust
Those the the homos that dropped my car off the lift back in 01

How they drop it off? Wasn't on there properly? Drove it off? What happened to your car, everything alright?

I had them change my oil the first time, cuz it was a freebie, boy did I make a mistake there, the drain plug was tightened to hell and back, same w/ the filter. Torque wrench 101!!!
Old 09-12-2006 | 02:10 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

How they drop it off? Wasn't on there properly? Drove it off? What happened to your car, everything alright?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=48315
Old 09-12-2006 | 03:09 PM
retired moderator

getting any maintenance done at the dealer....FTL!!!!
Old 09-12-2006 | 04:24 PM

tell me about it...I went to a body shop in maryland [rockville]. Picked up my car today. They had to repaint the rear bumper. Now the rear right side marker is not working...I don't know who to trust with the car anymore. I will go there tomorrow and talk to them...
Old 09-12-2006 | 04:24 PM

remember one thing my friend most of the techs are fresh out of school and only 2 seniors to teach them how to be a real TECH ...mechanic comes after 5 yrs or so of this dont fit & of couse we reply NO **** D!CK
Old 09-12-2006 | 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by davidcmn
tell me about it...I went to a body shop in maryland [rockville]. Picked up my car today. They had to repaint the rear bumper. Now the rear right side marker is not working...I don't know who to trust with the car anymore. I will go there tomorrow and talk to them...
it's pretty easy to just change the lightbulb yourself. Best part: no more headaches.

BTW: Frederick Nissan seems to do very good work if you want to find a better dealership to work on your car.
Old 09-12-2006 | 04:36 PM

I better pass the news onto my bro, I think he still goes there. YIKES!! So what happened? How did it get settled?
Old 09-12-2006 | 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by GBAUER
it's pretty easy to just change the lightbulb yourself. Best part: no more headaches.

BTW: Frederick Nissan seems to do very good work if you want to find a better dealership to work on your car.
Thanks GBAUER. I am worried that they messed up the wires that light up the bulb when they took off the bumper to paint it. Is there an easy way to check if the bulb is the problem before I buy a new bulb? It WAS working when I took the car in...
Old 09-12-2006 | 04:46 PM
2002 maxima se

i dont understand why people have to go to the dealers for some cheap parts...when you can buy them online for reasonable price and get them installed at any local auto shop. most of dealers are rip off plus liars!!! BY THE WAY HOW MUCH YOU END UP PAYING FOR PCV VALVES?
Old 09-12-2006 | 04:58 PM

I ordered one from daveb this afternoon. They can be had for 3 something from Advanced auto parts.
Old 09-12-2006 | 05:00 PM

That sucks!! Sorry to hear ... I mean how many stories like this do you hear? Take your car in for some repair, and come out of there w/ more problems than before you stopped by.
Old 09-12-2006 | 05:20 PM

That sucks!! Sorry to hear ... I mean how many stories like this do you hear? Take your car in for some repair, and come out of there w/ more problems than before you stopped by.

Mints33, you are right. The dealer charges a premium because supposedly they are the they ones who "know" our cars best. It looks like they exist for the sole purpose of selling cars and too bad if you bring it in for service.

As for the body shop, someone hit my rear bumper at a local Safeway store and I had to have it repainted. The body shop I took it to has all kinds of high end cars being worked on [i.e. MB, BMW etc. ] so I thought that they would pay attention to detail. I was wrong.
Old 09-13-2006 | 11:20 AM

Davidcmn,
"They know best" yeah right. They think they do, but in reality a lot of them know jack. Especially these so called advisors, crap, I brought my grandprix (my last car) to them, for a tranny flush, he looked at me and said, do you want to drive the car again? Says they can't flush it completely w/ new ATF for the tranny will no longer work. My car had 40K, not 140K, yeah, good thing I stopped going there, and got rid of my car, it was a lemon to start with.
Old 09-13-2006 | 11:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ask upstatemax what happened to his rear bumper at a dealer in Latham

Most maintenance parts you can get from autozone for cheaper, and basically the same quality. Except for you guys who use OEM oil and air filters, which I understand and am thinking about doing. They should always be in stock and NOT hard to find by the dealer parts dep't
Old 09-13-2006 | 12:00 PM

I'll never go back to the local dealer here in Hawaii! Took in my SE for a front end vibration and they told me it was my rotors. Worng! It was a bad front hub bearing.
Old 09-13-2006 | 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by carsarecool
Ask upstatemax what happened to his rear bumper at a dealer in Latham
Well there's only one Nissan dealer in Latham and it's the one that usually go to so I'd love to know what they did to upstatemax's car.
Old 09-16-2006 | 07:09 PM

I was never fond of their service dept, however they did fix my warped rotor issue back in the years when I lived in IL, Schaumburg Nissan wouldn't even touch them without charging me, saying rotors are not covered under the bumper to bumper warranty, and I almost bought my car from them.

The issues this morning happened at my local dealer here in SD. It just goes to show, good dealers/service dept. are hard to come by.

Key lesson from this whole thread....

Never move/live in South Dakota
Old 09-16-2006 | 07:25 PM
Banned

Thanks GBAUER. I am worried that they messed up the wires that light up the bulb when they took off the bumper to paint it. Is there an easy way to check if the bulb is the problem before I buy a new bulb? It WAS working when I took the car in...
sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Try changing the left and right side bulbs? Easiest way I can think of. BTW: a new bulb is around $2.00. It'll cost that much in gas just to go to the stealer.
Old 09-17-2006 | 02:35 AM

Sorry, but reading that part about the car falling off the lift made me laugh like holy hell.
Old 09-17-2006 | 03:37 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by crazy97
Sorry, but reading that part about the car falling off the lift made me laugh like holy hell.
Go f'uck yourself
Old 09-17-2006 | 04:00 AM

Go f'uck yourself

It was a 'I can't believe it' laugh, when I read about the car falling it totally caught me off-gaurd. I just pictured the service advisor coming back telling an already angry customer, "Sir.....we had a little problem.....Your car kind of fell to the ground....." Or "Mr. (name here), do you want the good news or bad news first?"

Sorry about your car though.
Old 09-17-2006 | 05:32 AM

A Sentra GXE????

A dealership of mine tried that once, and their reasoning? It will make me appreciate my Max more!!! -Dealt with the owner on that one-!

Drop a car? Bad PR can destroy them, I can't believe it wasn't handled better! Our local media has a 'buyer beware' bit once a week during broadcast. Our media would eat this up! I can't fathom the lack of urgency to solve this matter quietly and quickly with a FULLY satisfied customer.

What did you get, if anything?
Old 09-21-2006 | 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dust N Bones
Well there's only one Nissan dealer in Latham and it's the one that usually go to so I'd love to know what they did to upstatemax's car.

Just noticed this...

If it is Nemith on Rt 9... STAY FAR AWAY!

They are the worst dealer in history, thats all I should need to say.

Lia Nissan is better, not the best, but better than Nemith. Upstate New York just does not have an option for a good Nissan dealer.
Old 09-21-2006 | 12:41 PM

Have you been by saratoga nissan yet?
Old 09-21-2006 | 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by carsarecool
Have you been by saratoga nissan yet?

No, I rarely have to goto a dealer anymore. I just need to find one that will advance my timing...
Old 11-24-2006 | 06:46 PM

Earlier we were discussing dealerships around Chicago ... there is one in Skokie/Niles Star Nissan ... who wont touch my car cuz of the warranty THEY sold me ..they say itll take 90 days to go in effect ... so its a 9 month warranty .. but martin nissan will do the work ... i dunno wat it is ... any dealerships near glenview or chicago that you guys recommend?