Dealership and Vendor Experiences Let other Maxima owners, or potential Maxima owners, which dealerships and shops you've had good or bad luck with.

Highway Robbery @ Chevy Chase Nissan

Old 04-25-2010, 09:02 AM

Highway Robbery @ Chevy Chase Nissan

"
I recently took my car to CCN to have it check for a tapping noise on the rear end. They told me that the Stabilizer Connecting Rods were bad, they needed to be replaced and that woud cost me $340.00 for both sides. I called a different dealer to check how much the links were and found out that they only cost $22.00 ea.

I declined the repair and asked the services manager how has he come up with the amount of 340 if the the parts were not that expensive and the most it would take to do the work will be an hour. He had no ANSWER!!

Yesterday i jacked up the car with help of a friend and it took us the most 20 minutes each side.
At the dealer they also told me that my motor mounts are separating and to replace them will be in the $1300's. he told me if i don't replace that very soon it can cause damage to a ground cable that is located between the firewall and the engine.
Has anyone replaced the motor mounts yet? how much work does it involve? or i should find someone reliable to do it?
I live in Montogmery County Maryland, do you guys know a reliable shop, honest and that do good work?

Thanks

Berto

Old 04-25-2010, 09:06 AM

LOL @ 1300 for mounts they will probably be dropping the engine to do them, fools.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:16 AM

Yes he did mentioned something about dropping the subframe.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:23 AM

Rearend links are a piece of cake to change. I actually need to do mine asap as they nuts loosened and the link has been moving, thus ruining the threads on them. $340 is crazy..thats 40 in parts and 300 in labor!! @ prob 85 and hour for labor. Nearly 4 hours calculated..thats BS! Glas you did them yourself. As for the motor mounts, what year is your max? How hard do you drive it? I replaced mine about a year ago i suppose. I have an 04 and i drive very hard. Also put in the Racingline motor mount inserts. They help to stiffen things up a little so they engine doesnt have as much play to move. And lastly, yes, you do need to drop the sub frame to do the mounts, i think just for the back 1. The front i believe can be done without dropping the frame.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by 04MAX_ILLIN
Rear end links are a piece of cake to change. I actually need to do mine asap as they nuts loosened and the link has been moving, thus ruining the threads on them. $340 is crazy..thats 40 in parts and 300 in labor!! @ prob 85 and hour for labor. Nearly 4 hours calculated..thats BS! Glass you did them yourself. As for the motor mounts, what year is your max? How hard do you drive it? I replaced mine about a year ago i suppose. I have an 04 and i drive very hard. Also put in the Racingline motor mount inserts. They help to stiffen things up a little so they engine doesn't have as much play to move. And lastly, yes, you do need to drop the sub frame to do the mounts, i think just for the back 1. The front i believe can be done without dropping the frame.
motor mounts are not too bad to do depending on which ones. I did my side and front mount. If those are the only two you are doing, then the trick is to jack up the car and put on stands at a high enough level that you can get under there and move around good. Take and put the jack under the car and I recommend getting a piece of wood 2x4 about 12 inches. Place the wood on top of the jack and under the oil pan. Jack up the jack just enough to lift the engine a tiny bit. More for support at this time. Then open the hood and remove the side mount closest to the windshield washer fluid reservoir. that one is easiest. You are going to need some extensions and strong ratchets. I think there are two bolts on top and one on the bottom that need removed. It is really self explanatory. Then once that is removed, you have to get the front mount out. Not easy. In order for us to get the bolt loose on mine, we had to do it from the top. We removed the battery and the fuse box next to the battery and had a big breaker bar. once you get the bolt out wiggle the mount out and replace with a good one and I highly recommend getting the inserts mentioned above. then once you have the front mount in, you can put the side mount back in. Don't put the side mount back in before the front mount. It took me about 4 hours to do both mounts. the side mount took maybe 30 minutes of that 4 hours. getting that bolt loose for the front mount was our biggest challenge. I recommend if it doesn't come on the first or second attempt from underneath, go in from the top like I explained.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:54 PM

Wondering why your taking your NISSAN to a CHEVY place for repairs...

Engine mounts can be a bit of a pain without a lift (which makes it an easy job), it's a 2 person job without it.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:07 PM

Give Century Auto in Germantown a call. My wife and I have been taking our vehicles there for years. I'm not sure if they do that work but the folks there are good people.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by SiathLinux
Wondering why your taking your NISSAN to a CHEVY place for repairs...

Engine mounts can be a bit of a pain without a lift (which makes it an easy job), it's a 2 person job without it.

I think the OP took it to CHEVY Chase NISSAN....
Old 05-11-2010, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by 2 GO B4
I think the OP took it to CHEVY Chase NISSAN....
Yup, the little hamlet of "Chevy Chase", in MD. It's funny, they actually used to be a Chevy dealer, then sold Chevrolets and Acuras, and now Acuras and Nissans.

I wonder if their whole service department is like that? I work down the street from them and would prefer to take my car there instead of Criswell, in Germantown, but only because of the distance.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by DraKhen99
Yup, the little hamlet of "Chevy Chase", in MD. It's funny, they actually used to be a Chevy dealer, then sold Chevrolets and Acuras, and now Acuras and Nissans.

I wonder if their whole service department is like that? I work down the street from them and would prefer to take my car there instead of Criswell, in Germantown, but only because of the distance.
I wouldn't take my car(and haven't) to either.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:26 PM

lol'd at "execive" in the quote