Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

This is pissing me off....PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 02:33 PM

This is pissing me off....PLEASE HELP

Well i have searched high and low and the best i can come up with is normal google searches. I have never had an issue in he past, however this weekend when i washed the car i applied rain x to the windshield. Well to say the least, it looks like $hit and i cant remove it now. Its been raining here the last 2 days and it has made driving miserable. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

I have tried, rubbing alcohol, regular auto soap, newspaper and windex etc, windex with vinegar and it still remains.

I cant imagine im the only one who has had this problem??? Anyone??? I need to get this crap off, it is driving me nutts, and especially awful at night. Its like driving into a blurry dream.

I am hesitant about using "soft scrub" bc its an abrasive, however according to what i have found online its suppose to work.

Someone please help me, i would be eternally grateful
Old 11-23-2009, 07:41 PM

I would try prep-sol sold at auto parts store/ paint and body store. And then wash it with soap a couple of times and then use a glass cleaner. If that doesnt work I would try a mild paint polish not wax.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Hmm, in what way does it look like shyt? Smeary smudgy, can't see dic kinda shyt or is it hazing up and making your windshield look crumby?

I've never really tried to remove it before but I use Stoners invisible glass and while I wasn't using it to remove the Rain X it sure seemed to lessen the life of it.

I hope you don't take this as a smart azz comment but how old are your wipers? Could be time for some fresh ones. Really the only time I've had issues with Rain X was when my wipers sucked a ball bag or I didn't wipe it in good enough.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:41 PM

I picked up some "auto glass scrub" tonight and im gonna try it tomorrow during the day. It says its an auto glass cleaner/abrasive (will not scratch glass).

As far as the "view" goes, its like a smeary cant see shyt mess. The car is only 5 months old, and it barely rained here for weeks. The wipers are still good bc they clear the water, but as they move back across its almost like someone smeared dog crap on the window. But as you drive it goes away. Almost kinda like someone was breathing on your window to fog it up. get what i mean?

I was debating trying to reapply the rain-x, but i dont want to make it worse. This is really weird.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:25 PM

I have had that problem before and i just had to buff (by hand) the windshield again and it cleared the problem up.. hope that works...
Old 11-24-2009, 06:15 PM

unfortunately i buffed and buffed till i couldnt buff no more.

i bought glass science glass scrub. anyone ever use it? i did some research and most people said its worked on a lot of stuff. but i did find a few peeps that said it scratched up their window. however, it does state the window needs to be "wet" which would lead me to believe make the abrasives less harsh and remove whatever is on there.

i may just try it in a small area to see if it works. but according to a lot of reviews people swear by this stuff.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:49 AM

I can't imagine what the problem is. I've ben using RainX for over 30 years and have never experienced that kind of problem. You can try re-applying to a small area then immediately wipe it off with a damp cloth followed by a dry cloth. If that dosen't work I would call Rain X tech support at 1800-237-8645 - Option 4. Good luck!
Old 12-24-2009, 02:46 PM

been usings rainx for 10 years and never had prombles.just wipe with windex till streaks are gone.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hate to hear that.....It's ironic because I never used the wipe on rain X because I was afraid of that happening though everyone said it never would.

I just use the orange rain x washer fluid...drove home today in a storm and didn't even need the wipers it does so well....
Old 12-26-2009, 09:54 AM

thats funny i just applied rain x today, its rainning like crazy here in ny. One thing that must people forget to do is really clean the windows with a wndow cleaner before installing the rain x, hope u can get that crap out of your window.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:08 PM

might be worth a shot, but I have had amazing luck cleaning glass (along with the stainless sink in my house, my bathtub, etc.) using Bar Keepers Friend. can grab it in the grocery store or hardware store. sort of like comet but it is less abrasive and will NOT scratch the glass.