Dyno Discussion and Slips Discussion and a moderated "Dyno Slips" sub-forum to allow for posting of dyno slips.

My 2000 Max SE Auto Dyno results.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
I think i want to squeeze about 230whp out of mines n im good
Old 03-14-2013, 08:18 AM

I thought the older the car the more fun to mod?.... Wouldnt wanna devalue a 1yr old car n have something go wrong with that now do u? Lol... I understand u though, ur pretty much at ur goal with this car, thats cool.... I think i want to squeeze about 230whp out of mines n im good
Very possible with full boltons.

.....and a 50shot
Old 03-14-2013, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by 2kMaxim

.....and a 50shot
Old 03-14-2013, 11:01 AM
dot dot dot ...

Look at my lame auto dyno graph man.....there's not even distinguishable readings below 3-3500rpms What the heck do I need 24 points of tuning for?!

Exactly my point, SAFCII, leaves you with more options later..

Once you get to playing, you'll see because you've never done it, a few extra points help. I run out of points and I only have 12, and I also have an auto that gets dynod from about 3700-7100. I only use 2 - 3 points past 6500 so don't give me that either. Also, adjusting before 3000 or 3500 seems pointless, it's after 4000 which sees the most gain.

Better resolution is good, but a larger MAF housing option and ease of install is also good.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:03 AM

Are you still worrying about SAFC vs VAFC?

VAFC wasn't even designed to work with cars that use a MAF sensor. Get an SAFC, it's easier to tune, does the job, and has a higher ceiling for power.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:14 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by MoncefA33

VAFC wasn't even designed to work with cars that use a MAF sensor. Get an SAFC, it's easier to tune, does the job, and has a higher ceiling for power.
Ceffy to the rescue ..
Old 03-14-2013, 02:05 PM

This is why so many people are confused The forum is literally divided in half on what to get.....lol.

I did some hard driving today to teach the ECU a good relearning lesson after solving my little "SWIRL solenoid" issue (which turned out to be that the mechanic didnt fully push in the wiring harness in till it clicked).......

One thing i payed specific attention to was shift points. When under WOT acceleration in my car the needle drops to about 4200rpms after every shift. The VIAS doesnt even click over till what, 5000? If you study my dyno graph, you can see that the vias doesnt just bump up a couple of ponies......use the HP lines and its literally a 10-12hp/trq bump. Scientifically it would be very advantageous to have this be activated at 4k rpms, just under the shift point... so that under WOT it would have the better breathing valve setup every shift. The only way I can do this is with a VAFC. I can see NMex's point about VAFCII over I ......on ebay you can find used II's for right around $200.

I really think using my dyno data...its worth shifting that VIAS activation point back. I also did all sorts of "daily drving" scenarios today...and none of the even come close to raising the needle to 4k..... Basically if im revving to 4k i MEAN IT. Seems like a pretty sound logical plan to me.

Many people are using the VAFC on their max's and its working......and they are able to shift the VIAS point around...so is it potentially not working even a discussion anymore? So much conflicting info!
.....lol
Name:  00MaximaBoltonsUntuned.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  130.9 KB

Last edited by 2kMaxim; 03-14-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:34 PM
dot dot dot ...

Get a VAFC, Dyno with it completely open, and completely closed, overlay the graphs, change your VIAS switch, done. Also, that bump early on in your dyno is the torque convertor locking up (3200-3500), as was stated by Moncef, so it's false data.

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/3...e-removed.html

Example:

200 RPM isn't enough for me to get a VAFC.

Here are my dyno adventures.

http://forums.maxima.org/dyno-discus...no-thread.html

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-14-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:15 PM

Yeah.....it appears from all the data that 4000 rpms activation might be too aggressive....4500 rather than the factory 5000 seems to be the answer. Im a torque freak so taking the rod out isnt a good solution for my needs. That might be the move id do with a MT......cause I could wind the crap out of it all the time...lol

But you are saying to this that its probably not worth VAFC for those 500rpms?

Unfortunately VAFCII seems to run cheaper than SAFCII...
Old 03-14-2013, 05:14 PM

SAFC gets my vote... moncef pretty much summed it up
Old 03-15-2013, 06:14 AM

You need to stop worrying about adjusting the VIAS.

Nissan engineers already did the work for you. If you open it later, you will lose area under the curve. If you open it earlier, you will lose midrange torque.

The SAFC will help you make more actual power, because it is made for cars that have a hotwire airflow sensor, like ours, instead of a pressure sensor, like the VAFC. You will experience this when you want to slap on a large MAF housing on the car and the SAFC will scale it in 2 seconds as opposed to making your car undriveable like it would with a VAFC.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:07 AM

You need to stop worrying about adjusting the VIAS.

Nissan engineers already did the work for you. If you open it later, you will lose area under the curve. If you open it earlier, you will lose midrange torque.

The SAFC will help you make more actual power, because it is made for cars that have a hotwire airflow sensor, like ours, instead of a pressure sensor, like the VAFC. You will experience this when you want to slap on a large MAF housing on the car and the SAFC will scale it in 2 seconds as opposed to making your car undriveable like it would with a VAFC.
This I didnt know :S so how is it able to successfully change my af's if it wasnt designed for my maf sensor type?
Old 03-15-2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
This I didnt know :S so how is it able to successfully change my af's if it wasnt designed for my maf sensor type?
It still intercepts your MAF signal and plays with the voltage going into your factory computer, since it understands the raw voltage signal. This allows you to change AFR in open loop.

However it does not understand rescaling for the larger cross sectional area of a larger MAF, such as a Q45 or similar, across closed and open loop because a MAP sensor does not monitor load that way in the first place.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:32 PM

It still intercepts your MAF signal and plays with the voltage going into your factory computer, since it understands the raw voltage signal. This allows you to change AFR in open loop.

However it does not understand rescaling for the larger cross sectional area of a larger MAF, such as a Q45 or similar, across closed and open loop because a MAP sensor does not monitor load that way in the first place.
O ok maf scaling but otherwise it's the same, nvm i thought you meant somethin else
Old 03-21-2013, 05:13 PM

.....and a 50shot
been done before without nitrous...
Old 03-21-2013, 10:31 PM

I be VERY impressed to see those numbers on an NA Auto. Fully bolton 5 speed with cams and such i wouldn't be shocked.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:39 AM

Car made 239 with no cams.... Also even 2 4th gens here untuned made upper 220's... But idk if the big laughter was to hurt pride because of something that was done already but eh... This place has changed, not in it to impress anybody nomore.. just in it to enjoy my anti drug, which is modding the car, if i dont get to 230's then so be it.... I can see if there was this hoop dream to get to dandymax numbers of 280whp but i dont see how 230's is sooooo impossible... plus a cammed motor is still naturally aspirated (NA)

Last edited by Grand_hustle17; 03-22-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 AM

Plus i am a 5mt
Old 03-22-2013, 06:35 AM
dot dot dot ...

No one sticks with the DEK any more. Couple of peeps went all out then bailed before they finished.

Sloppymax had a nice auto set-up, and it was very simple.

DrunkieBear had potential, but as I said, he bailed. Don't blame anyone for moving on to a different/better platform, more cost effective.

I look outside the box, shti look at my vehicles. Who mods a Maxima, who lifts a Pathfinder?

I always hear "You coulda spent half and been 2x as fast or as high". I say, anyone can mod a "____" , but I didn't.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
No one sticks with the DEK any more. Couple of peeps went all out then bailed before they finished.

DrunkieBear had potential, but as I said, he bailed. Don't blame anyone for moving on to a different/better platform, more cost effective.

I look outside the box, shti look at my vehicles. Who mods a Maxima, who lifts a Pathfinder?

I always hear "You coulda spent half and been 2x as fast or as high". I say, anyone can mod a "____" , but I didn't.
I stuck with it, in spite of the people who d1ckride the VQ35 and the swaps etc. Pushed the DEK to the bitter N/A end and made decent power.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:49 AM
dot dot dot ...

I stuck with it, in spite of the people who d1ckride the VQ35 and the swaps etc. Pushed the DEK to the bitter N/A end and made decent power.
Yeah you and Dandy were/are the only ones, most bail.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 AM

i dont blame them for going with the 3.5 because it does have more potetial.. if it was 2 or 3yrs ago there wouldve already been a 3.5 in here... or just keep my 3.5 lol... im not really attacking times and numbers anymore, however just setting what i think is a modest and reasonable goal and having fun getting there, there is absolutely no competition here or around so there is no motivtion, its either stanced cars or guys that moved on to cars coming 12 seconds off the show room, dont care to compete with that, just enjoying what i have for the time being
Old 03-22-2013, 10:02 AM

You have no idea how often i hear that. Most people cant even really picture what a maxima looks like in their head so they just go by wherever they've seen the name. "Why are you messing with exhaust/mods on a maxima?" Kind of irritated me at first but now I just realize they dont know how great the engines are and how sharp the 5th gens look. Whenever im returning to the parking lot, seeing my car always makes me smile.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:46 PM

Whenever im returning to the parking lot, seeing my car always makes me smile.
Somehow my rust bucket puts a smile on my face too.... I hate it for doing that sometimes
Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 PM
dot dot dot ...

i dont blame them for going with the 3.5 because it does have more potetial.. if it was 2 or 3yrs ago there wouldve already been a 3.5 in here... or just keep my 3.5 lol... im not really attacking times and numbers anymore, however just setting what i think is a modest and reasonable goal and having fun getting there, there is absolutely no competition here or around so there is no motivtion, its either stanced cars or guys that moved on to cars coming 12 seconds off the show room, dont care to compete with that, just enjoying what i have for the time being
I like this post.

Same with my Pathfinder .... Solid axle this, solid axle that ... meh, I'll have fun with this for now.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:33 PM

I've been really thinking hard about a Warpspeed Y lately. As the last mod before SAFC tune. Ive listened to a bunch of clips on youtube and there is a definite similar tone that is created from the ypipe. I don't mind this tone....on the cali spec its really only ditching one of the two precats anyway.....how much louder can it really be?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:12 PM

I've been really thinking hard about a Warpspeed Y lately. As the last mod before SAFC tune. Ive listened to a bunch of clips on youtube and there is a definite similar tone that is created from the ypipe. I don't mind this tone....on the cali spec its really only ditching one of the two precats anyway.....how much louder can it really be?
I would get the stock cat or a high flow one if you're getting a y. With straight pipe when ypu get on it it'll be very loud and stinky. Keep the stock y for emissions purposes ;-)

Ya it doesnt sound as bad as most make t seem but if it can sound z-like with headers and equal y i would be disappointed with anythin else... Unequal y on a maxima makes it sound like an american ohv v6 imo :-P

Last edited by carsnwomen91; 04-11-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:38 AM

I figured sunday was the perfect day for a.....REVIVAL! Lol.

So I now have the coilovers on, the rear wheel spacers and last but not least the YPipe. My setup is warp y pipe > warp test pipe > stainless b pipe > stock calsonic muffler.

I have yet to dyno, as I have to get the pesky $1000 balance off my credit card before I spend another cent!

As far as sound its definitely more aggresive than it was before. We had a small leak between the manifold and the ypipe in the beginning which sounded like hell, but we got that fixed with a chunky lead gasket. I will say this...without a nice chambered muffler such as the factory one, theres no way you can get away with the setup I have. It would sound insanely loud. With the stock muffler its a tad more raspy than the stock y pipe but its not by any means loud. If i eventually want to be **** and do some exhaust sound "tuning" I will probably have a shop weld an inline resonator where my test pipe is...or my b pipe. At WOT it sounds straight up evil. Totally worth it.

Powerwise its absolutely noticable. Mainly from4-6.5k rpms...the needle just flys up way faster. I cant wait to see what it yeilds. Im praying it bumps me up over 200wtrq and nearly 200whp. Id be satisfied.