Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Engine Oil .....OMG help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 02:21 AM

Engine Oil .....OMG help!

Ok guys I know I am guilty of the biggest sin in the world. I have been so busy with work that I neglected my car. I checked my oil the other day and found my oil level not even showing up on the dipstick. Anyway I added TWO QUARTS OF OIL, and the level balanced out on the high side. Last logged oil change was in January or at 19.5K(I am now at 26K). I recall a recent oil change and have verified with my brother that it was sooner than January of 2002. Let me say that I drive my car like I stole it a lot of the time. Lets just say for example, that I did not change oil since January. Do you all think its possible to burn that much oil that it wouldn't even register on the stick? Somehow I find that hard to swallow, in fact, extremely hard to fathom! I know people who drive junkers that hold oil longer than that. Also, should I just find another car already(like the G35?) I am thinking of taking my heads apart to see if my pistons actually damaged the walls from lack of lubrication or to find any visible damage that I might have done. I am curious to see if I have friction damage on the sides of my pistons from rubbing on the walls with no lubrication. Let me know what you think? Thanks
Old 08-08-2002, 04:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

As long as you didn't lose oil pressure you should not have damaged the engine. It would not be uncommon to use some oil in 6500 of driving miles although almost two quarts is a little more than expected. You might check for leaks.

Why didn't you go ahead and change the oil and filter rather than add oil? Check your mileage on the first of every month and you won't get behind in the future. Just like paying bills, check oil! I change my oil at 3K miles.
Old 08-08-2002, 06:44 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Larry
I change my oil at 3K miles.

Old 08-08-2002, 07:03 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

you should get blackstone to send you a kit, have the next change analyzed. I mean, $18 and it will tell you more than taking the head off.

I agree, you didnt loose oil pressure, no harm done.

btw Bill, I change my Mobile1/filter at 3500. Oh wait, thats right, thats what blackstone suggested
Old 08-08-2002, 07:31 AM
Boost.....

Originally posted by bill99gxe

You sure are doing a lot of this lately
Old 08-08-2002, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by TimW
btw Bill, I change my Mobile1/filter at 3500. Oh wait, thats right, thats what blackstone suggested
Actually they said 3500 to 4000

Your problem, if you recall, is the OEM filter keeping you down. An oversized filter would probably extend the useable life of your oil.

Also, you are one of the rare ones here who actually have relatively "severe" driving conditions.

Isn't it about time to have the Max examined again? I would probably do that once you start using the new SuperSyn Mobil 1 to make sure it's doing an adequate job. And what about the Pathfinder, as I disregarded those initial results......
Old 08-08-2002, 07:40 AM

I agree, you should be worried more about the oil being contaminated, dirty, and viscosity breakdown rather than the oil pressure. Change it out, and make sure you make a habit of spending th $20 to change it. You can go to the dealer and test drive new Spec-V's and Pathfinders while you wait!!
Old 08-08-2002, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by Padsy 02 6sp
You sure are doing a lot of this lately
Yeah, it's a wonder I can still type or construct complete sentences.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:22 AM

haha..

I have a new PF sample.. well.. its not really new.. its 3 months old now.. Sitting on my shelf. Gee, ya think it has 'expired' like milk? will probably eat thru the plastic before I send it in. Just got lazy...

I still really dont car about extended drain. I hate that little oil pressure *blip* I get at startup. Valvetrain has stayed nice and quiet on startup with syn, regardless of the extreme heat or mild cold we get. me = happy.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:10 AM

Re: haha..

Originally posted by TimW
I have a new PF sample.. well.. its not really new.. its 3 months old now.. Sitting on my shelf. Gee, ya think it has 'expired' like milk? will probably eat thru the plastic before I send it in. Just got lazy...

It's fine to send it in now. The sample Jeff just gave me was from Christmas, and he waited almost 7 months to send it in.

I still really dont car about extended drain. I hate that little oil pressure *blip* I get at startup. Valvetrain has stayed nice and quiet on startup with syn, regardless of the extreme heat or mild cold we get. me = happy.
Two things:

A) If/when you go to SuperSyn Mobil 1, I would recommned checking it again to see how it's doing and holding up compared to your last sample.

B) You may want to try an alternate filter that has the bypass valve on the top of the filter. This may help alleviate the oil pressure blip at startup since it's integrated into the outlet rather than at the bottom of the filter. If you want more details, shoot me an e-mail and I'll give you part numbers of aftermarket filters, and your Pathfinder as well.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:17 AM

Can you guys verify any filters that don't exhibit the "blip"? I've been using the OEM Nissan filter and Mobil1 5W30 and get the blip even after a fresh oil change but it gets worse over time.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by Green 2kSE
Can you guys verify any filters that don't exhibit the "blip"? I've been using the OEM Nissan filter and Mobil1 5W30 and get the blip even after a fresh oil change but it gets worse over time.
Good heavens....what I do for you 5th gen people:

This is still incomplete, but these filters have a top bypass valve design that should minimize those blips at startup:

VQs:

Oversized:
STP: S6941 ($6.99)

OEM-sized:
Motorcraft: FL-821 ($5.69); I could only find it at Advance Auto Parts
Bosch: 3323 ($5.49)

Thimble-sized:
Supertech: ST6607 ($1.97); available at Wal-Mart only
STP: S6607 ($2.99)

There's another STP filter, the S2849A that's only $3 and the same size as the S6941, but it is still being researched as I can't find one in stock in my local area. I don't recommend the thimble-size filters. They are hideously tiny.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:31 AM

Bill, thanks for your efforts. Which one are you using personally?
Old 08-08-2002, 09:58 AM

Bill, thanks for your efforts. Which one are you using personally?

Right now: Amsoil SDF-13 I'm getting tired of paying $9+ for a damn filter that isn't available locally. Plus, the bypass valve design isn't to my liking. It's a good filter, just thimble sized.

A couple of members have installed the S6941, one on a VQ35. The only concern on that one is the filter gasket, which is a bit wider in diameter than the OEM filter. Thus far, no oil leak has been reported and it looks good. I was trying to hold off this recommendation until I could confirm a VQ35 was using it successfully.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:42 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: haha..

This may help alleviate the oil pressure blip at startup since it's integrated into the outlet rather than at the bottom of the filter. ...[/B]
Could someone explain this "blip" for me. I have not noticed anything and am not sure I am just oblivious to something...
Old 08-08-2002, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by Larry
As long as you didn't lose oil pressure you should not have damaged the engine. It would not be uncommon to use some oil in 6500 of driving miles although almost two quarts is a little more than expected. You might check for leaks.

Why didn't you go ahead and change the oil and filter rather than add oil? Check your mileage on the first of every month and you won't get behind in the future. Just like paying bills, check oil! I change my oil at 3K miles.
Uh I checked oil at a drunken state at 11pm at night just for the hell of it so changing the filter and oil was not an option. In theory if I had lost oil pressure the light would have come on right?
Old 08-08-2002, 11:05 AM

I guess you could say that I was merely following your conclusions of the oil analysis project.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by CIRCO
I guess you could say that I was merely following your conclusions of the oil analysis project.

The head bang was in response to member Larry.

Oil consumption is not a good thing. You'll notice few of the people in the spreadsheet are consuming oil. Oil consumption is secondary to extending drain intervals, etc. The source of the consumption needs to be discovered.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:12 PM

Checking the oil on the maxima is hard enough sober.. I think I've seen State Troopers using the Maxima dipstick as a sobriety test.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:25 PM

I've never had to add oil to my car between changes. What kind/viscocity of oil do you use, Circo? I use Mobil One full synthetic 5W30. And I like to put my foot down on the gas pedal pretty hard myself. Even after a round trip to Southern CA and back my oil level didn't change (3K+ miles).

Tony
Old 08-08-2002, 03:54 PM

Why are people shocked that he lost 2 quarts of oil in 6.5k? That's well within normal and it would be less than a quart between 3k changes. If you have a tight engine with no oil burning you may brag about it but that doesn't mean your engine is better or more powerful. IMHO, a slightly loose engine is preferable.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:00 PM

Why are people shocked that he lost 2 quarts of oil in 6.5k? That's well within normal and it would be less than a quart between 3k changes. If you have a tight engine with no oil burning you may brag about it but that doesn't mean your engine is better or more powerful. IMHO, a slightly loose engine is preferable.
IMO a loose engine means you lost compression which is not good and you will definately notice a loss in power
Old 08-08-2002, 04:14 PM

The head bang was in response to member Larry.

Oil consumption is not a good thing. You'll notice few of the people in the spreadsheet are consuming oil. Oil consumption is secondary to extending drain intervals, etc. The source of the consumption needs to be discovered.

I knew the head bang was in response to Larry, but I was trying to make up excuses for not checking oil by using your spreadsheet analysis to make myself feel better. haha!
Old 08-08-2002, 04:26 PM

IMO a loose engine means you lost compression which is not good and you will definately notice a loss in power
I meant a slightly loose engine, imho it is preferable to an overly tight engine that hasn't been well-broken in.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:36 PM

I meant a slightly loose engine, imho it is preferable to an overly tight engine that hasn't been well-broken in.

Right!
Old 08-08-2002, 04:43 PM

I'll have to agree with Green,

Some oil consumption is completely normal.

I am not talking about the extremes, like GM passing off brand new engines that use 1 quart per 1000 miles new, (!) as "just fine", but in a fully driven-in enine losing a half quart or even a bit more between oil changes (3000-3500 miles) is perfectly acceptable.

It's also not neccesarily indicative of loss of compression, as rings worn enough to make u lose 0.5 quarts every 3000 miles, are not loose enough yet, to affect compression in a significant manner.

Of course much of the above is based on my experinces with 3 VH45DE's and the VQ may be slightly different I suppose, but I don't think so.

The VQ came out of the same design house, only 4 years later design, I'd expect tolerances and such to be very similiar.

Both engines share many design features as well (other than one being an 8 with just a couple extra bells in it).

It then follows that VQ's are also slow to break in, hmmm by the way question for your Gurus:

The VH45DE tends to make it's most power after 100,000 to 150,000 miles (non abused engines), are the VQ30's/VQ35's the same in that respect?

Fred...
Old 08-08-2002, 07:22 PM

Re: Engine Oil .....OMG help!

Ok guys I know I am guilty of the biggest sin in the world. I have been so busy with work that I neglected my car. I checked my oil the other day and found my oil level not even showing up on the dipstick. Anyway I added TWO QUARTS OF OIL, and the level balanced out on the high side. Last logged oil change was in January or at 19.5K(I am now at 26K
Let me know what you think? Thanks
Don't worry about it. If the oil was clear and looked like honey, it's fine. Start worrying if it gets darker...

OK, now let's wait for Bill to start smashing his head against his desk again...
BTW, I'm being sarcastic.