Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Seafoam just after putting Techron?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 01:02 PM

Seafoam just after putting Techron?

I'm due for an oil change in 100 miles and I just added a bottle of Techron during last fill-up. As I'm not that satisfied with the throttle response of my car, I thought I should clean the throttle body and as well use the seafoam (I never used this till now!)

I'm just wondering if I can pour a bottle of seafoam directly into the gas tank during the next fill-up !?!?! Or do I need to wait till the next oil change, then use the seafoam in all the three critical areas.

I am actually planning to change fuel filter now and I want to put seafoam in before I change the fuel filter. Thanks
Old 01-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by flthere
I'm due for an oil change in 100 miles and I just added a bottle of Techron during last fill-up. As I'm not that satisfied with the throttle response of my car, I thought I should clean the throttle body and as well use the seafoam (I never used this till now!)

I'm just wondering if I can pour a bottle of seafoam directly into the gas tank during the next fill-up !?!?! Or do I need to wait till the next oil change, then use the seafoam in all the three critical areas.

I am actually planning to change fuel filter now and I want to put seafoam in before I change the fuel filter. Thanks
Pouring seafoam into the gas tank is the same as pouring techron into the gas tank....no need to do it twice in such a short period of time. I don't think Techron is supposed to elicit a better "throttle response" anyway, unless your injectors were very clogged and Techron managed to miraculously clean them out completely with one treatment, which I highly doubt. Also, I wouldn't change the fuel filter until one or two more gas fillups. Reason being is that the Techron also loosens dirt in the fuel lines and stuff, and personally I'd rather have an old filter catch all the crap than dirty a new one so quickly with it.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the quick response .. I have used Techron before the last 3 oil changes but like you said it doesn't promise anything on the Throttle side. I suppose the injectors are in better shape after 3 uses of Techron.

I'd wait until next oil change to put the seafoam in, as well the new fuel filter. I don't know how bad it is! I have only driven 13k miles after I bought it, who knows when it was changed last time!!

I must try the Motorvate type TB cleaning but I don't have garage. How nice it would be if I don't need to open the TB body as a whole to clean it. However, I'll buy those spray kinda thing and try doin it when the temps go abt freezing here in Chicagoland.

Thanks.