Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Cost of synthetic oil not worth it

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Armelius
Here: http://cartalk.com/board/showflat.ph...b=5&o=&fpart=1

What is wrong is the dealer telling you there's nothing wrong. You know it's not supposed to shift like that. I'm assuming this car is still under warranty. Keep going back until they fix it.

I could go into my normal rant about late model VWs but I won't. As a former VW owner and fan, though, I must say that Volkswagen has done a marvelous job of squandering, there's no other word for it, their reputation for building reliable cars. What a shame.

Drivers wanted!

And this: http://cartalk.com/board/showflat.ph...b=5&o=&fpart=1
A bunch of guys on cartalk don't impress me. One guy without evidence or 100, it doesn't matter, your opinions are still unsupported.

I'm STIIIIIILLLLLLL waiting for you to offer some real proof.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:54 PM

Pics under the valve cover? UOA?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:54 PM

The cost of not changing your oil like your manual says.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:57 PM

Where does it say that? Looks like he bought a crappy used car. No one knew what was in it. But, I guess you do.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:06 PM

Let me guess. You change your oil every 30,000 miles like torkaholic and have own a vwmaxima too?
Old 01-16-2005, 03:13 PM

Let me guess. You change your oil every 30,000 miles like torkaholic and have own a vwmaxima too?
Careful, your desperation is beginning to show. . .

C'mon, at least keep the few facts you have straight. I do 10,000 on my G35 and one year (about 9,000) on the wife's Sequoia.

You've been smacked, owned, and stacked, and you're just lashing out now.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:23 PM

Sorry, but I believe you are the one who posted about 30,000 mile oil changes. I don't know where Jeff went but he posted about the increase in gas mileage. 02 Max just wants to see inside my valves, which right now I have no reason to take off the valve cover except to show off.

No, I still get factory spec power and gas mileage. I have the miles on my car and the experience.

You have a fine car in that G35, I wouldn't put synthetic in it though. Just doesn't need it and if it's new (definately newer than my Maxima) you should change your oil like the manual says. The new Z was 3,000 miles if I remember correctly. I passed the Nissan test on the Z btw. I still like the G35 better.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How am I flip flopping? Nothing from Nissan. Nothing in Haynes or Chiltons. And I even posted topics from renouned mechanics.
You are flipflopping around the basis of this threads title "Cost of synthetic oil not worth it " Also we know that most mechanics don't know everything. We see it here all the time.

Why don't you post over there? Tell them I am flip flopping and ask their opinion. I think we need an unbiased opinion about nissan maxima high mileage and synthetics don't you?
Why go there when I can get my info here?

Volkswagon-You picked a bad example. I am not impressed with any Volkswagon products they are overrated and over priced. They are probably made in China too, since Volkswagon is the largest car manufacturers in China and Mexico.

I laugh at that 1.8 Volkswagon. My 95 max has more power and gets better gas mileage that their piece of crap four banger with a rubber band in it. I have seen too many people unhappy with their new Volkswagons. Maybe that synthetic oil will help them sell to more consumers but it won't do a thing for me.
What difference does it make that you don't like VW products? We listed car companies that use sythetics. Dude, all I have to say is learn how to make an argument and stick to the subject.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:12 PM

Whats a vwmaxima? I thought you started this thread to prove you spend less money. You lost that on page 2.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:15 PM

Sorry, but I believe you are the one who posted about 30,000 mile oil changes. I don't know where Jeff went but he posted about the increase in gas mileage. 02 Max just wants to see inside my valves, which right now I have no reason to take off the valve cover except to show off.

No, I still get factory spec power and gas mileage. I have the miles on my car and the experience.

You have a fine car in that G35, I wouldn't put synthetic in it though. Just doesn't need it and if it's new (definately newer than my Maxima) you should change your oil like the manual says. The new Z was 3,000 miles if I remember correctly. I passed the Nissan test on the Z btw. I still like the G35 better.
But your book says 7500 mile oil changes for your car. If it is so important, why do you ignore the manual?
Old 01-16-2005, 04:19 PM

That's the service manual on the Pathfinder.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:22 PM

That's the service manual on the Pathfinder.
Is it stated differently in the owners manual?
Old 01-16-2005, 04:33 PM

Probably. I have it. Right now my wife has the Pathfinder and I will look at it when she gets back.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:14 PM

Why trust a book that so blatantly defies Nissan's specs?
Old 01-16-2005, 05:22 PM

Two nissan books. One the service manual and one the owner's manual. If I remember right the owners manual had more detail about dusty or harsh weather conditions. I would say that regular oil can be good up to 7,500 miles. There was quite a few times I was gone for over six months at a time and had to change the oil before starting the pathfinder and occassionally replace the battery. If I knew how long I was going to be gone I would of done a few things different but in the end it didn't really matter.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:04 PM

Look at Tom and Ray on Car Talk. Two mechanics that have degrees from MIT. Do you think they use synthetic oil?
not that it proves anything, but...

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...August/04.html
here tom and ray say that 15k mile drain intervals are fine on synthetic oil.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...August/04.html
here tom and ray say that it's ok to use syn in vehicles that came with dino oil

http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...nter/tips.html
here tom and ray recommend mobil-1 syn for cold climates

so basically you're totally owned.

also, you said in another thread (http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...5&postcount=20) that you use 87 octane gas. but here you say that you should follow the instructions in the owner's manual. doesn't your manual say to use only premium fuel?
Old 01-16-2005, 07:54 PM

Again, it is you who are not getting the facts straight. To repeat, 10,000 is my baseline on the G35 and one year is what I use for my wife's low usage Sequoia. You said something about "doing 30,000 mile oil changes like [me]". I never said I do 30,000 mile oil changes; your statement to this effect is false. I did post a link to the VW site where they described the maintenance regimen for one of their cars, that included a 30k OCI. Please spare me your opinion of VWs here, we know it. Actually, I'm not far from agreeing with you on that. The point was simply that with the right syn oil, some car makers are endorsing very long OCI.

Your use of your own situation as conclusive proof is just like the 90 year old man who, through puffs on his chain smoked cigarette, declares that smoking never hurt anyone. He is overgeneralizing, and so are you. I've driven for as many miles as you, mostly on syns, and my engines are spotless and I've never had a failure. Shall I use that to generalize that syns are perfect and right for everyone??? That's what you're doing with your experience and dino.

OK, precisely why would you not put syn into my G35? Once again, here's a link to my first fill of German Castrol 0w-30 (run for only 4k miles as it was the engine's first syn run and I wanted to get all the remaining dino purged out as quickly as possible). CLICK HERE FOR G35's FIRST UOA . Please, we know your opinions. Please tell me exactly why and how a dino would have done better, and why I should expect better from a dino over 10k miles of usage? And on a subjective level, my VQ was noticeably smoother at all rpm and less harsh at high rpm with the switch to syn. Sorry, but if nothing else, I will listen to my own engine before I listen to you.

Forgive me for being persistent, but I still have not seen either a real, technical explanation for how you think dino is better than syn, and you have offered no proof, as we syn users have, to support your position.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:19 PM

Well, I have used dino-weed oil in all my cars and constantly got well over 200,000 miles with no loss in gas mileage and performance. I lived in North Dakota and doesn't matter if you use synthetics or not you still have to plug your car to an electrical outlet to heat the oil.

I am not saying anything about oil superiority here. If I did I would give it to the syn because of lack of hydrocarbons to gum things up. It doesn't matter though because you are going to damage your engine more by starting it cold than running it with oil circulating. We agreed on that.

Next, we have the oil change issue. You say 10,000 miles is great for an oil change. I say it's best to get any potential damage from cold starts out of your engine as soon as possible.

Some of you say things about VW and Corvettes that's great. I know people with GM products that their engine went fine on synthetic and then blew up. I believed they got around 300,000 miles on their engine and they tell me it was 500,000. I did the math and figured it right. They don't use synthetics anymore and I didn't dissuade them.

On the octane question I already had a discussion on that some time ago with SuperSteve moderator or something and got banned for a week or something because of a similar post to this one. The only thing I found that these engines don't like is ethanol. Ethanol will get us crappy gas mileage and should be avoided as much as possible. You don't get the same amount of power (are they called btu's in gas) from ethanol as you do with regular unleaded gas.

These engines are build better and stronger than other V6's, you can do some seriously naughty things with low oil, redlining, and nitrous without doing the damage you would be doing to other V6's.

Toxi- you posted a VW link that said 30,000 was possible on synthetic but they also said you might want to start thinking about changing it at 9,000. They could of said 50,000 for all I care. It was your post though.

02 max- Your engine is different than mine. I am sure you know those differences. I am just saying to you that it would be better to change your oil frequently, than to keep it in there with your superior oil. When your car is worth less than 10k look me up if you want to sell it. Then we will see if it was worth it to use synthetic. What mileage do you think that will be?

Southeast- I am using this an example as what one moderator has said to me and what it says in the book about changing oil. Little bit of a double standard if you are are the one who gets banned for a week isn't it?

Nowhere are top and ray going to say that there isn't much difference between mystery dino-oil brand and mystery syn oil because they would get sued.

I remember an additive brand in the early 80's all the way to the early 90's that made the same claims as synthetics. They had their own infomercial on TV one of the first infomercials. What happened? They lied?

Oil companies are bigger than most other companies with the exception of maybe car companies. They can make the same claims and get away with it. Look at car companies. They can sell Durango's, Fords, high priced GM's and have tremendous recalls. Do you really think an automobile is worth nearly 30,000 dollars? I don't. I think auto's are the biggest waste as far as throwing away money. They depreciate as soon as you get them. Those europeans have trains. They don't care if gas goes to 5 dollars a gallon. We do. Here and you know that there is hardly any public transportation like there is in other towns. How often do you see someone walking on 41?

If I am owned it isn't by my car.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:44 PM

Well, I have used dino-weed oil in all my cars and constantly got well over 200,000 miles with no loss in gas mileage and performance. I lived in North Dakota and doesn't matter if you use synthetics or not you still have to plug your car to an electrical outlet to heat the oil.

{snip}

Next, we have the oil change issue. You say 10,000 miles is great for an oil change. I say it's best to get any potential damage from cold starts out of your engine as soon as possible.

{snip}

Toxi- you posted a VW link that said 30,000 was possible on synthetic but they also said you might want to start thinking about changing it at 9,000. They could of said 50,000 for all I care. It was your post though.

{snip}

I remember an additive brand in the early 80's all the way to the early 90's that made the same claims as synthetics. They had their own infomercial on TV one of the first infomercials. What happened? They lied?

{snip}

If I am owned it isn't by my car.
As to the North Dakota thing, I have some friends in Saskatchewan who would disagree with that -- they use 0w-30 most of the time just fine, with only a rare NEED for a plug. I grew up in New Hampshire -- almost as cold -- and we did fine without plugs.

You think it's best to remove cold start wear debris? Click on the link in my previous post. There is hardly any debris there. Again, can you prove your assertion with some EVIDENCE?

Just be straight about who said what. Just because I posted a link in which an automaker endorses 30k changes does not mean I do them (though I'll probably push out beyond 10k with a couple UOA supporting that).

The Slick-50 crowd has nothing to do with reputable synthetic oil makers. That's a false comparison. Just because one person lies about something does not mean that the next does. You know that. Come on.

If, in fact, you do change oil as often as it appears you do, you ARE owned by your car. . . I'm a Marine Corps reservist recalled to active duty, and I'm lucky to get three weekends per month at home with my family. I'll be darned if I'm going to spend any more time fiddling with oil changes than I have to. You're right that the VQ V-6 is a hardy design that can stand up to all kinds of punishment. It certainly does not need to be babied with a 3/3 oil change regimen. As someone else asked, do you automatically change out your tires at 10k miles?

Ooooops, we've digressed. You still have not proven your original point. My experience and my EVIDENCE clearly show that syns are well worth the money I spend on them.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:13 AM

Yeah, slick-50. How many people bought into that? Where is it now? North Dakota is a meaner animal than New Hampshire. New Hampshire probably has more trees than the whole state of North Dakota.

It doesn't take a few minutes to do an oil change. I haven't spent much time working on the Maxima. Struts/shocks, starter (a few times), knock sensor, brakes, abs master cylinder and rotors (brake system I didn't work on), and spark plug replacement, not mentioning the occasional battery and speakers.

Never have I need to work on the engine with the exception of belts, pcv and throttle body cleaning (all not really the engine). Almost forgot I had a few wheel bearings and a cv joint.

I attribute a well kept engine to the frequent oil changes and manufacturers design.

Why don't you do a poll for all the old maxima owners (over 180,000 miles) and ask them if they use synthetic or dino-weed?
Old 01-17-2005, 05:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Some of you say things about VW and Corvettes that's great. I know people with GM products that their engine went fine on synthetic and then blew up. I believed they got around 300,000 miles on their engine and they tell me it was 500,000. I did the math and figured it right. They don't use synthetics anymore and I didn't dissuade them.
Their engines didn't blow up because of using synthetics and this will still have to be proven. The oil's main jobs are to lubricate and reduce friction. You did the math and got it wrong. Once again, your opinion doesn't matter and you need to have hard data to prove what is the truth.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:51 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

This is like an OT religion thread. No one is going to get anyone else to change their minds here.