Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Oil consumption or not being level during change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Oil consumption or not being level during change?

When I change my oil, I drive my car on little ramps that are about a foot high so I can get under the car. On my last oil change(filter), I got back 3.5qts. Last time I changed my oil, I only got about 3qts back, but I went an extra 2k miles on it. I use mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30. I'm at 48k and this oil change was after 3k. This is how the car looks when I change oil and filter. I would think that this way is better than the car being flat because the oil is all going to the part of the pan where the drain plug is. Thanks...

Old 12-23-2005, 07:13 PM
Need A Light?

this is how I change my oil too...I jack up the car as high as I can then put it on stands....this allows the drain plug to sit at an angle....

try this next time...instead of draining out the oil and measuring it...just read the level on your dipstick every MORNING before you leave for work...I know its about 1qt from the LOW mark to the HIGH mark....if you notice your car is consuming oil, the dip stick will read either between the low & high...or lower than the low....that is a good indication your engine is consuming oil....
Old 12-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stupid question, I have the jackstands as well. Where exactly do you place them? I cant use them as I do not have one of those hand hydraulic jacks and the one in the trunk...i can't get it high enough to slide the jackstand underneath the car.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:03 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NJ Devils Fan
Stupid question, I have the jackstands as well. Where exactly do you place them? I cant use them as I do not have one of those hand hydraulic jacks and the one in the trunk...i can't get it high enough to slide the jackstand underneath the car.
Ivest in a hydraulic service jack...they're a worthwhile investment. There is a single lifting point on these cars, front and center...looks like a cone. Raise the car high enough to position jack stands under the lip (behind the wheels, beneath the fenders/doors) at the position where the OEM jack goes...the rails are reinforced to hold the car. Otherwise, find a suitable location under the "frame" rails, just inboard of the lip I referred to. Don't position the stands or the jack under any suspension components as they are not designed for this purpose.

On the rear, you can place the jack in the center of the axle and then position the stands on either side of the jack...