Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Who's got experience with Castrol Edge?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:57 AM

Who's got experience with Castrol Edge?

Is it really 8X better than Mobil One?
Old 12-24-2009, 12:58 PM

To be honest I used Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec and I didn't notice any difference. But I think it should be the same for Edge and depending on your car you might notice smoother idle or a slight increase in acceleration.

Like for my car I change the oil a lot and keep things nice and clean and so I don't really notice anything.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maxout!
Is it really 8X better than Mobil One?
Simple answer.......NO.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by kgallerie
Simple answer.......NO.
How about the complex answer?
Old 12-28-2009, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
How about the complex answer?
Haha....I was waiting for that response.

I read either an article or a post on a forum about this. Of course I cant find it now for the life of me.

But from what I remember, it was on one test out of the many oil tests that edge performed 8x better than Mobil 1. And IIRC, it was either the way the test was set up, or at one specific temperature, or at one specific mileage, or something pretty obscure that made that result not what they were making it out to be.

As talkinghorse says quite often, you want good performance across the board when it comes to oil tests. And Castrol Edge doesnt perform 8x better across the board.

I guess the way I look at it......will Edge make your engine run 8x longer than Mobil 1? I certainly dont think so.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm needing a caw

Uh 8x better wear protection doesn't = make the engine run 8x longer.
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7050795
That's the marketing hype.

But visit BITOG for the real life UOAs and decide for yourself. I picked up a 5qt container because I got in the $10 rebate. There's a $15 rebate for buying 5 1qt containers.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:08 PM

Mobil 1, run it in my titan and max.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by kgallerie
Haha....I was waiting for that response.

But from what I remember, it was on one test out of the many oil tests that edge performed 8x better than Mobil 1.
Ahh.
So it WAS in fact 8X better....but now you say it's not 8X better?

8X better for THAT test. Love to know what that test was!

And yes, I fully understand they'd use a specific test that showed their oil in the best light, everyone does, Mobil 1 and Amsoil included.

Just sayin'.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Uh 8x better wear protection doesn't = make the engine run 8x longer.

That's the marketing hype.
Thats my point exactly. They found one instance (regardless to how pertinent it is to actual driving conditions) that may have shown 8x better wear protection than M1 and it became their whole marketing gimic to imply that edge protects your engine 8x better than M1 under actual driving conditions......which is complete BS.

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
But visit BITOG for the real life UOAs and decide for yourself. I picked up a 5qt container because I got in the $10 rebate. There's a $15 rebate for buying 5 1qt containers.

I personally use penzoil platinum at 5k OCI based on the UOAs on BITOG (bobistheoilguy.com). PP seems to be the best bang for the buck oil by far at the moment from what I have read. If I wanted to run longer OCIs, I would think about using M1 EP or Edge, but personally i like having fresh oil in my engine at least every 5k. So PP more than does the job for that OCI and its only $20 for 5 qt. regularly priced at walmart, even less when its on sale.

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Ahh.
So it WAS in fact 8X better....but now you say it's not 8X better?

8X better for THAT test. Love to know what that test was!

And yes, I fully understand they'd use a specific test that showed their oil in the best light, everyone does, Mobil 1 and Amsoil included.

Just sayin'.
Sure....all companies do that. Amsoil at least references many ASTM standards tests that it performs better than other oils across the board, but its expensive, and for me personally, the cost/benefit ratio isnt there.

Dont get me wrong, I am no oil expert. But from what I have read (mostly when I am bored at work), I do not use M1 due to its recent wear tests and performance. It does not seem to be an industry leader in synthetic oils that it once was.

But going back the the OP's question that Edge is overall 8x better than M1........
Old 12-30-2009, 08:38 AM

Oils are oils and there is a price attached to base and additive package. Now to claim it is 8x better than M1 is a plain bumbasssss stupid. Mobil has been in the business of syn fluids for ages and they know their product will work with millions of satisfied customers.

So all these mkting gimmicks is for novice reads of the bottles not for educated folks who know what they are getting for their money. M1 and PP are by far the best syn in the price range for anyone to buy. Amsoil is the best but not for everyone from a price standpoint and for those who have bought into their 25K OCIs etc.

Engines are engines they have racked 500K with dinos in 3rg gen forums. Why wouldn't they put the same with decent synthetics.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:16 PM

the previous owner of my 3rd gen used M1 and after a few months i switched to Castrol and noticed a good difference
Old 08-06-2010, 01:58 PM
VQ Wizard

I just bought some of this stuff because I missed out on last months Mobil 1 deal (5 qts M1 + M Filter for $29.99 at Advance Auto Parts.). This month they have the same deal with 5 quarts of Castrol Edge and a K&N oil filter for $29.99. That is over 50% off of the price of buying these items individually. I've been waiting for an excuse to use this stuff because I think it may potentially be a little better than Mobil1 0w-40. However I will never know for sure because I do not send oil samples for analysis.
And one MAJOR problem I now have with Castrol is that after buying this stuff I have discovered that Castrol is a division of British Petroleum. Therefore I no longer care how good the stuff may or may not be, I will no longer buy any Castrol products if I can help it.

As for any sort of review, the only thing I will say is that the stuff (5w-30) 'appeared' to look thinner than the 0w-40 M1 I usually buy.