General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

what's up with Camry?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2000, 03:54 PM

It's a decent car, unfortunately gets stolen a lot. But for a family person who couldn't be bothered about specs etc. it's a fine car, and trouble-free. Softer ride = not as many rattles. I never really liked the Nissan name, so I remember way back (1997) when I was dating this hot girl and I asked her what she thought. She said (no-lie) Camry? Are we having some kids or something? Why do you want such a big car? What about a Sunfire or Golf? *lol* But when I said Maxima she said "cool." Obviously Maxima is as big as Camry. It's just the perception--Maxima is accepted as a sporty car, Camry is rarely for people without children. It surprises me that young males would buy that car. What'd they give up before they even got started? *lol*

What's the deal with people spelling it "Camary?" At least 2 people did that here. This woman at work spelled it that way and got the big promotion and put her car for sale on the intranet. I'm thinking, you make that much money and you can't even spell the name of your car?
Old 12-11-2000, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine
It's a decent car, unfortunately gets stolen a lot. But for a family person who couldn't be bothered about specs etc. it's a fine car, and trouble-free. Softer ride = not as many rattles. I never really liked the Nissan name, so I remember way back (1997) when I was dating this hot girl and I asked her what she thought. She said (no-lie) Camry? Are we having some kids or something? Why do you want such a big car? What about a Sunfire or Golf? *lol* But when I said Maxima she said "cool." Obviously Maxima is as big as Camry. It's just the perception--Maxima is accepted as a sporty car, Camry is rarely for people without children. It surprises me that young males would buy that car. What'd they give up before they even got started? *lol*

What's the deal with people spelling it "Camary?" At least 2 people did that here. This woman at work spelled it that way and got the big promotion and put her car for sale on the intranet. I'm thinking, you make that much money and you can't even spell the name of your car?
It gets stolen alot based on the sheer number of cars out there. But they are almost all 4 bangers.

Why do you keep bringing up something we already talked about and keep saying the same thing. Like i care what a GIRL thinks about my car. I got enough game that i dont need to rely on my car to get women. Plus i got an extremely hot girlfriend already. And like no moms with kids drive maximuhs ahahaha, i have yet to see a modded maximuh on the street that was a 5 speed and fixed up to be faster. Sure there are more than camrys ( i only know one other guy with a 5 speed v6 camry thats modded TIEM! ) but thats good its original and unexpected exactly what me and TIEM like. SLEEPERS. Everyone knows how fast maximuhs are and how sporty they are. But know one even knows my car exists!! I like that!

Diss camrys all you want man, hell this IS maximuh.org and thats your right. I drive one and it handles fairly good with just eibachs. Need i say this again...Its fairly fast, gives me 14 second quarter miles, stable transportation, cops dont sweat me at all, TRD supports the car pretty well, parts are cheap and easy to find.

Old 12-11-2000, 04:24 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by gLok
Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

It gets stolen alot based on the sheer number of cars out there. But they are almost all 4 bangers.

Why do you keep bringing up something we already talked about and keep saying the same thing. Like i care what a GIRL thinks about my car. I got enough game that i dont need to rely on my car to get women. Plus i got an extremely hot girlfriend already. And like no moms with kids drive maximuhs ahahaha, i have yet to see a modded maximuh on the street that was a 5 speed and fixed up to be faster. Sure there are more than camrys ( i only know one other guy with a 5 speed v6 camry thats modded TIEM! ) but thats good its original and unexpected exactly what me and TIEM like. SLEEPERS. Everyone knows how fast maximuhs are and how sporty they are. But know one even knows my car exists!! I like that!

Diss camrys all you want man, hell this IS maximuh.org and thats your right. I drive one and it handles fairly good with just eibachs. Need i say this again...Its fairly fast, gives me 14 second quarter miles, stable transportation, cops dont sweat me at all, TRD supports the car pretty well, parts are cheap and easy to find.

g'damn. can we effin stop this bickering about the neesan maximuh and toyoduh camary already!?!?! sh*t. where ever you go, there's gonna be someone there to critisize your ride, ESPECIALLY on the internet, so get over it.
Old 12-11-2000, 05:01 PM

camrys suck...

and parts AREN'T cheap there guy! 14sec. quarter miles? 14.9999 maybe after you dropped it at 5k...that thing is got an old engine, old tranny design and an old fart driving it! Get off Maxima.org and join your crew on the yota' list...

SHUMAX

Old 12-11-2000, 05:22 PM
is invisible

Ignorance...

is bliss.
Old 12-11-2000, 05:23 PM
OG :)

i think many people on this forum see the camry as a family car because most maximas on here have many performance oriented mods and every camry they see on the road is a near stock v6 or 4 banger.

however the upper level camry has nearly the exact same modifications (some from factory) available including s/c for the 5 speed v6s, adjustable (blisten) shocks, body kits etc.
Old 12-11-2000, 08:56 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

ignorance from both sides here... but im seeing more on the maxima side..
Old 12-12-2000, 07:25 AM

no shumax you suck....GROW UP

Originally posted by shumax
and parts AREN'T cheap there guy! 14sec. quarter miles? 14.9999 maybe after you dropped it at 5k...that thing is got an old engine, old tranny design and an old fart driving it! Get off Maxima.org and join your crew on the yota' list...

SHUMAX
I am outta here. I thought this was a forum with people that actually know something. All it is is a lot of hating. It seems to be about 80% ignorance.

I know there are some really cool guys on here and i appreciate your help.

You can diss the camry all you want now with no arguements.

Old 12-12-2000, 08:09 AM

O...booo hoo Mr. GLOC

You really hurt my feelings. I don't hate your car; I hate your attempt to come over here and sell us on how great it is! Its a decent car for a decent price and does everything decent and thats it! Have fun in the ordinary, decent, car chief!

SHUMAX

Old 12-12-2000, 08:47 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: O...booo hoo Mr. GLOC

OMD!!! You just described a Maxima!!

Why you busting his ***** man? You know how hard it is to find decent guys that own other cars AND have post in an adult manner on a different car board?? Give the guy a break sheesh.

You really hurt my feelings. I don't hate your car; I hate your attempt to come over here and sell us on how great it is! Its a decent car for a decent price and does everything decent and thats it! Have fun in the ordinary, decent, car chief!

SHUMAX

Old 12-12-2000, 08:59 AM

Re: no shumax you suck....GROW UP

80% ignorance from 5% of the members is a pretty good number.

Besides, you haven't actually shown us any intelligence on your part now have you?

As far as I can tell it seems like most of the members on the forum have a lot of respect for your car, but you still feel the need to talk ****? Who is ignorant here again?

SHUMAX
I am outta here. I thought this was a forum with people that actually know something. All it is is a lot of hating. It seems to be about 80% ignorance.

You can diss the camry all you want now with no arguements.

Old 12-12-2000, 09:10 AM

JEFF92SE.

Busting HIS *****? Come on..I don't even know why I feel compelled to respond to this. I guess I do it out of a knee-jerk reaction sometimes. Hoever, here we have a guy who owns a Camry..great. He comes to us trying to tell us its fast and can beat a Maxima; OK, he's entitled to an opinion, right?
Then he goes on and on about why his is better and why HE thinks its a far superior choice to the Maxima. Are you retarded? Why on EARTH would anyone on a MAXIMA list agree with him, unless they owned a Camry? Sure, the Camry is a nice FAMILY car. I know..the Maxima is too. However, the Maxima is sportier looking, handles better and has one of the worlds best engines in it. What does the Camry have? The fact that rental car companies buying them!
I "bust his *****" as you put it, b/c he is here to 'stir the pot' and do nothing more. In 'bold' for you: I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HIS CAR, I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HIS APPROACH ON A LIST THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS PRECIOUS LITTLE CAR.....thats all. If you think that's "busting his *****" thats fine. However, I am entitled to MY opinion aren't I?

SHUMAX
Old 12-12-2000, 09:32 AM
OG :)

Re: no shumax you suck....GROW UP

[/I]
thanks dude later!
Old 12-12-2000, 09:46 AM

Re: O...booo hoo Mr. GLOC

SHUMAX

When did I ever come over here and try to sell you on my car? Why dont you learn to read chief.
Old 12-12-2000, 09:51 AM

Not once did i ever say a camry was better than a maxima. Im not a troll that comes on to start trouble by stating my car is cooler than yours na na....give me a break

I just state the facts. 99 5 spd Maxima and 99 5 spd Camry are so close that it comes to the driver. So when did i say the camrys faster?

You are confusing me with another person who doesnt even own a camry, PARTNER.
Old 12-12-2000, 10:16 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: JEFF92SE.

Whatever. Friendly bantor and joking is fine but is it your goal in life to put down this guy? Oh and BTW, rental car agencies buy Maximas too. Look I don't really care either way so maybe you can post a time slip to shut him up. Glok just posted his 14.999 near stock camry timeslip on another thread. So just pull a 14.8 or something and end it all for us.

Busting HIS *****? Come on..I don't even know why I feel compelled to respond to this. I guess I do it out of a knee-jerk reaction sometimes. Hoever, here we have a guy who owns a Camry..great. He comes to us trying to tell us its fast and can beat a Maxima; OK, he's entitled to an opinion, right?
Then he goes on and on about why his is better and why HE thinks its a far superior choice to the Maxima. Are you retarded? Why on EARTH would anyone on a MAXIMA list agree with him, unless they owned a Camry? Sure, the Camry is a nice FAMILY car. I know..the Maxima is too. However, the Maxima is sportier looking, handles better and has one of the worlds best engines in it. What does the Camry have? The fact that rental car companies buying them!
I "bust his *****" as you put it, b/c he is here to 'stir the pot' and do nothing more. In 'bold' for you: I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HIS CAR, I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HIS APPROACH ON A LIST THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS PRECIOUS LITTLE CAR.....thats all. If you think that's "busting his *****" thats fine. However, I am entitled to MY opinion aren't I?

SHUMAX
Old 12-12-2000, 10:18 AM

Re: JEFF92SE.

SHUMAX

Yeah, but when your opinion is aimed at slamming the Camry, then it's no longer an opinion but rather a flame. The Camry guy just posted that his Camry is a good car after he modded it.

And then you posted that the camry is outdated, old people drive it, etc. etc...

Here's a news flash. The Camry's engine is every bit as good as the one in the Maxima. Have you ever owned a Camry V6? Have you even ever driven one? I have, and the Camry is excellent. Engine is every bit as smooth as the Maximas, but it's more quiet so it doesn't sound as sporty. Transmissions in the Camry are excellent too...never driven a 5-spd Camry, but if the 5-spd is as excellent as the Camry's automatic, I'm sure it is more than a match for a Maxima's 5-spd in terms of shift quality.

I don't care if you agree with me or not. Just please don't post ignorant comments like "your car sux and mines the best" since we're all about respect here. We want people to respect Maximas, why not give other people the same consideration. After all, we are all modifying a V6 FAMILY SEDAN here...(the Maxima is no sports sedan, true sports sedans are like BMW 3,5-series, Lexus IS, etc..). The Maxima is a family sedan, the Camry is a family sedan, the Accord..etc...it's all good.

Old 12-12-2000, 10:35 AM

Re: Re: JEFF92SE.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eric L.
After all, we are all modifying a V6 FAMILY SEDAN here...(the Maxima is no sports sedan, true sports sedans are like BMW 3,5-series, Lexus IS, etc..). The Maxima is a family sedan, the Camry is a family sedan, the Accord..etc...it's all good.

BTW both of our cars will take the new IS300. I dont know how much of a difference the 5/6 speed will make when the manuals come out but it better be a lot!
Old 12-12-2000, 10:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: JEFF92SE.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gLok
Originally posted by Eric L.
After all, we are all modifying a V6 FAMILY SEDAN here...(the Maxima is no sports sedan, true sports sedans are like BMW 3,5-series, Lexus IS, etc..). The Maxima is a family sedan, the Camry is a family sedan, the Accord..etc...it's all good.

BTW both of our cars will take the new IS300. I dont know how much of a difference the 5/6 speed will make when the manuals come out but it better be a lot!

I'm talking comparing stock car with stock car. There's no way a stock Camry/Maxima can outhandle an IS300. Outaccelerate yes, but then you can't compare 5-spd Camry/Maxima against the automatic IS300. It's simply not fair to compare a modded car with a nonmodded car.

Old 12-12-2000, 11:10 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: JEFF92SE.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eric L.
I'm talking comparing stock car with stock car. There's no way a stock Camry/Maxima can outhandle an IS300. Outaccelerate yes, but then you can't compare 5-spd Camry/Maxima against the automatic IS300. It's simply not fair to compare a modded car with a nonmodded car.
I know. I live right around the corner from the lexus dealership and i have already test drove one. I meant beat in a stoplight drag race sorry, I never have even considered my car for any kind of handling seriously though...my mind has been so much into drag racing lately that i have forgotten my SCCA heritage ( my mom and her boyfriend are active participants, he is the treasurer )I cant wait for the manuals to come out. If the price is right and it makes a big difference i just might get one. But i like having extra money to mod my camry and with a new car and higher payments it wont be so easy.