General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Checked my new cattman flex section last week and it is stronger.. and better!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 08:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Checked my new cattman flex section last week and it is stronger.. and better!!!

Well my cattman Y pipe flex section was shot and he installed a new one for me. I got the Y pipe back about 6 weeks ago, and good ooh UPS tryed to blame cattman for a delivery issue which was not even his fault.

I checked the new Flex section and it looks and feels very strong. I was going to sell it but after seeing the great new quality flex section I have decided to keep it. Besides it is Stainless Steel. The Ypipe rebolted right back on and had no fitment issues, I never did anyways since is a nice snug fit!!!

I just thought I posted this if anyone is thinking of getting one, the new flex sections are way much stronger the the shorter versions he had on his Y pipes before.

Thanks MR. Catts for fixing my Y pipe and that new strong flex section!!!
Old 08-05-2002, 08:25 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

hip hip hooray
Old 08-05-2002, 11:51 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I agree...

I've seen the generations of Cattman Y-pipes at his fabricator side-by-side. The new flex sections are longer(8"), allow more flex(almost as much as the OEM 10" did), but they don't have a mesh inner lining that would fail. The previous 3-layer flex section had a mesh inner layer that was attached with a POOR design, which allowed the mesh to come loose.

The Y-pipes themselves are also MUCH better quality. The previous fabricator(MaxRev in Phx, AZ) welded sections of pipe together to form the bends. Now a shop in Cali mandrel bends the larger pieces and the new fabricator(I've been hanging around working on a FSTB at his shop) puts all the pieces together with the new flex sections and flanges on a jig he's made. The flanges are laser cut with recessed groves for the gaskets(very nice!), which I believe will help eliminate the possibility of leaks. The jig eliminates ANY major variation between Y-pipes allowing easier installs consistently.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:08 AM

That's great news. One question...does the pipe sound any different than the older version? Any buzzing or anything like that?
Old 08-06-2002, 05:18 AM

Originally posted by ljl10
That's great news. One question...does the pipe sound any different than the older version? Any buzzing or anything like that?
No buzzing or any funny noises what so ever, as a matter of fact the when I first got the Y pipe with the short flex it was louder with my Greddy exhaust. Now it seems to be a bit quieter, I hope I am not going death but thats one of the reasons why I checked it to see if it had failed since I used it for the last 6 weeks non stop. Did see a big increase in HP going from my stock one back to this one. When I checked it the hole was still very big just like its suppose to be. I also stuck my hand in there and the materiel felt very strong unlike the shorter flex section.

I dont regret getting this Y pipe, besides one of the reasons it cost a bit more is becuase is stainless steel it wont rust, and it wont rust now since I dont live in Florida or New Orleans.
Old 08-06-2002, 06:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It's good to hear a story with a happy ending. I think it's unfortunate that the bad flex sections caused so much trouble on this forum, for Brian, and his customers. From experience I know it's impossible to control every aspect when you are running your own business. But that's the nature of the beast. Enjoy the good times and in bad times correct the mistake, limit your losses and move on.

I've had my Cattman y-pipe for over 3 years. It's rusty but when I replaced my cat last month and took a peak inside the y-pipe the flex section was intact. If the y-pipe ever needs to be replaced Cattman will have the first shot at my business.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:54 AM

Yea mine seems to be holding up too. I had a damn hard time with mine over the course of 2 years breaking etc. And then when I first got mine back it did not fit. Anyway, I do have one problem that surfaced when I first put this Y pipe on. When the car is cold and I accelerate, the car sounds very tinny with loud metallic rattling noises. After a few minutes when it warms up this problem goes away. This started when I put the Y pipe back on. Any ideas?
Old 08-06-2002, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by ericdwong
Yea mine seems to be holding up too. I had a damn hard time with mine over the course of 2 years breaking etc. And then when I first got mine back it did not fit. Anyway, I do have one problem that surfaced when I first put this Y pipe on. When the car is cold and I accelerate, the car sounds very tinny with loud metallic rattling noises. After a few minutes when it warms up this problem goes away. This started when I put the Y pipe back on. Any ideas?

Sounds like a loose heat shield to me.