General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Broke off screw in engine, lil help

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 01:55 PM
rilla dope

Broke off screw in engine, lil help

Question for you guys, a 6mm bolt broke off when I was tightening it down in the engine, outside of course, valve cover area. Weak bolt, snapped the milisecond I turned it with the wrench. Anyway, I can't plier it out as it's flush with the top of the hole. How should I get it out and still preserve use of that screw hole? Tap and die? I don't want to f anything up. It's not essential or anything, but I'm not too high on warping anything. Thanks
Old 08-11-2002, 04:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Broke off screw in engine, lil help

Originally posted by releasedtruth
Question for you guys, a 6mm bolt broke off when I was tightening it down in the engine, outside of course, valve cover area. Weak bolt, snapped the milisecond I turned it with the wrench. Anyway, I can't plier it out as it's flush with the top of the hole. How should I get it out and still preserve use of that screw hole? Tap and die? I don't want to f anything up. It's not essential or anything, but I'm not too high on warping anything. Thanks
Go to Sears and but a set of Easy Outs. You'll also need a drill bit to drill a pilot hole so buy 1 while at Sears if you do not already have one. All you do is drill a pilot hole in the bolt, once you have done that you will put an easy out in the hole. tap it gently to set the easy out and relieve upward torque pressure on the bolt. I normally use a crescent wrench to turn the easy out the same way as if you were removing the bolt. The easy out actually tignens in the bolt as you unscrew it. I can't tell you how many times Easy Outs have bailed me out. I think they cost about $20.00 per set now, when I bought mine they were $5.00 and they still work fine. I think I'm showing my age.
Old 08-11-2002, 04:58 PM
rilla dope

Thanks much, I'll be trying that soon to be sure. I'll post the success when I get it out
Old 08-11-2002, 07:31 PM

Make sure you make the hole as cloce to the center as you can. You can use a punch or another sharp object to mark where you want to drill. It will also help to keep the dril bit in place. You also need to drill the hole deep enough. A few months ago I was taking out a broken bolt with an easy-out and I broke another piece of the bolt. Take your time.

Yuri
Old 08-11-2002, 08:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I hope you didn't use locktite. I broke off a M6 bolt on my timimg cover a couple of weeks a go. I used easy outs, reverse tapping screws, and nothing worked.
Also, when drilling, the sides of the hole are softer than that bolt. If you drift off while driling, it can lead to more trouble. And yes, I'm speaking from first had experience.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:13 PM

I restore old rifles. If you stuble across a bolt that has loctite, apply heat! You can use a solder gun (precision) or a small butane torch to heat up the bolt. This will turn the loctite to powder and voila!

Karguy's recommendation was right on the money. Just be careful not to break off your easy-out. My neighbor did that....and those easy-outs are hardened steel. He was in big trouble after that.....
Old 08-12-2002, 07:41 AM
rilla dope

Theres no locktite on this one. My only worry is that its real small, only 6mm so drilling the hole might take some serious skills on my part. Gotta try though right? It's not messing anything up right now, but t'would be nice to gank it outta there