General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

RANT: Dealer emblems

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 11:03 AM

RANT: Dealer emblems

We all know like 98% of maxima owners are old people who leave their cars stock, which is fine, I can accept that. The thing I cannot accept however is when people leave HUGE dealer emblems on their trunks. A 4th gen with the Nissan logo and the Maxima emblem on the trunk is one thing...but having a giant "Wagner/Eddies/etc Nissan" emblem beneath it is just anoying. So anoying in fact, I might keep a blowdryer and some wire in my car from now on so I can shave those *****es off when I see em

shaz
Old 08-30-2002, 11:24 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I totally agree. When I baught my car I told my saleman that if he thinks the dealership is going to advertise on the back of my car with a sticker, I'll send him a bill for it each month.

What ballz they have putting stickers on cars. Not just Nissan, but all of them.

You slap down 30 grand or more for a new car and they turn around and put a sticker on your paint for you. Just unreal.....
Old 08-30-2002, 11:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

not to mention the license plate frames with the dealer's name on it.

First thing I did when i got my car is took those off.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:35 AM
It's chrome alright...

I've had the dealer either not put them on, or remove all of them before I take delivery on every car I've ever bought.

One dealer, though, didn't have a sticker on any cars. I asked and salesman said they "never put a sticker on a car." It was a few weeks before I looked around my car at night with the lights on and noticed they slipped a piece of clear plastic with black letters "xxx Honda" inside the 3rd brake light so it lit up like a banner when I hit the brakes.

I brought it back and they removed it, bastards.

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I totally agree. When I baught my car I told my saleman that if he thinks the dealership is going to advertise on the back of my car with a sticker, I'll send him a bill for it each month.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:42 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally posted by gjabo178

HAHAHA! Funny Story about those dealer license plates. My dad couldn't get the Infiniti he wanted in TN, so he ended up buying one at Infiniti of Beverly Hills and having it shipped out here. Well, when the time comes around for the first service, he takes it into the local TN Infiniti dealership. Keep in mind it had the "Infiniti of Beverly Hills" license plate frame on it when he took it in. Well I went out in the garage the next day to admire our twin Infiniti's ( ) and found that they had replaced the Beverly Hills plate with the Infiniti of Nashville frame. Nevermind the front plate frame said Beverly Hills still...

Upon closer inspection I found the old frame in the trunk...sheesh...I never knew the name on the car was such a big business to dealers

John
Old 08-30-2002, 11:49 AM
STFU n00b!

Many of the dealers around here have actually been drilling holes in the metal and riveting the emblems on the cars so people can't pull them off.

They do that to my next car, and I'll hand the contract right back to them. GRRRR.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:29 PM

You don't have anything on "Pensacola's Best Used Cars" (actual name). They take your car and put their lil stencil and spray paint it, they never even have it straight and it's huge. Of course all of the cars are pos, but still I don't want anyone to know where I got a pos from.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by MetaOrbit

HAHAHA! Funny Story about those dealer license plates. My dad couldn't get the Infiniti he wanted in TN, so he ended up buying one at Infiniti of Beverly Hills and having it shipped out here. Well, when the time comes around for the first service, he takes it into the local TN Infiniti dealership. Keep in mind it had the "Infiniti of Beverly Hills" license plate frame on it when he took it in. Well I went out in the garage the next day to admire our twin Infiniti's ( ) and found that they had replaced the Beverly Hills plate with the Infiniti of Nashville frame. Nevermind the front plate frame said Beverly Hills still...

Upon closer inspection I found the old frame in the trunk...sheesh...I never knew the name on the car was such a big business to dealers

John
My wife had the dealer plastic license plate frame on her car since day one, she never bothered to remove it. Over time, it broke apart. SHE ACTUALLY WENT TO THE DEALER AND PAYED $5 FOR A REPLACEMENT!

Women.....can't live with 'em.............

.........can't kill 'em.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by sinewave

My wife had the dealer license plate frame on her since day one, she never bothered to remove it. Over time, it broke apart. SHE ACTUALLY WENT TO THE DEALER AND PAYED $5 FOR A REPLACEMENT!
Thats hilarious.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by gjabo178

Exactly what I did when I (actually my parents) first got the Max. When I got my Eclipse, I got it from a Saturn dealer and it had the Saturn plate frame on the back plate. I immediately took it off, and when I took the car back the next day to take care of more paperwork, the dealer asked why I took the frame off. I replied, "No offense, but I feel pretty goofy driving around a Mitsubishi and advertising Saturn on the back of my car." He just said he guessed he understood. I guess I'm too nice to just say I didn't wanna advertise for them.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
Many of the dealers around here have actually been drilling holes in the metal and riveting the emblems on the cars so people can't pull them off.
There's only one dealer that I can think of in San Francisco that does that (Ellis Brooks Chevy/Pontiac/Nissan) and whenever I see a car with their emblem on the back (especially a used car that's not one of those makes), it ticks me off (I can't stand forced advertising).
Old 08-30-2002, 04:25 PM
I miss the .org!

I took off my dealer license plate frames the morning after I brought my car home. But for those who refuse to give the dealers free advertising...how about those who give Stillen or etc... free advertising?
Old 08-30-2002, 05:28 PM

Re: RANT: Dealer emblems

Originally posted by shaz
We all know like 98% of maxima owners are old people who leave their cars stock, which is fine, I can accept that. The thing I cannot accept however is when people leave HUGE dealer emblems on their trunks. A 4th gen with the Nissan logo and the Maxima emblem on the trunk is one thing...but having a giant "Wagner/Eddies/etc Nissan" emblem beneath it is just anoying. So anoying in fact, I might keep a blowdryer and some wire in my car from now on so I can shave those *****es off when I see em

shaz
Hey we have a Ford dealer here in Charlotte that uses rivets to attach his chrome dealer emblem on the trunk lid. I wouldn't buy the car if it had something like that on it. I mean they drill holes and use rivets!
Old 08-30-2002, 11:19 PM
Custom User Title...

i like seeing other cars with them on because it makes mine look better and cleaner cuz i took it off. saw a modded max today, kid didn't even acknowledge me or my car even after i let him go jerk!, anyways, still had dealership info on his and looked bad. so it makes me feel better.
Old 08-31-2002, 02:44 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

Three stories;

1) First time I washed my new max with a pressure washer I swore under my breath as I saw the dealer sticker "Nissan North" yet again. Until I swept the high pressure jet past the sticker (each individual letter was it's own sticker) and saw it become "Nis an N r h". Grinning widely, I worked at the sticker with the pressure washer until it was all gone without leaving a trace...

2) When **** Ruhl Ford put a hard plastic emblem on the back of my new.to.me Taurus I got home and wrapped a putty knife in electrical tape and very CAREFULLY peeled it off. Only to find that they had removed the old "Graham Ford" emblem with such little car that they scratched down to the metal, then covered it with their sticker. They of course, disavowed any responsibility and said the car arrived scratched and they covered it up to do me a favor... Wound up with ae trunklid that needed to be repainted, at my cost, less than an hour after purchasing the car.

3) Some dealership here in Ohio used to put their licence plate surrounds on the backs of cars (as well as a sticker/emblem) and they used a design that covered up the old-style county sticker with a dealership logo. Loads of people were ticketed for it and I think some even tried to sue the dealerships because the dealership put it there. At the end of the day, though, it was found to be the responsibility of the driver/owner to ensure the vehicle complies with equipment laws, and the dealerships got off scott free. Some people got ticketed on their way home with the new car...
Old 08-31-2002, 10:46 PM

I have a 96 Maxima and have the biggest dealer emblem right next to the M in "M A X I M A" it ticks the crap out of me...I'm going to the store to get some bug and tar remover and first thing tomorrow, it's being taken off.
Old 09-01-2002, 01:12 AM

Southern States Nissan in Raleigh NC does two things.

They put a decal on the back (easily removable, I think ... I wouldn't buy from there) and they install the front plate holder, and put a half-height 'Southern States Nissan' plate in it.

In NC, we don't have front plates. It's absolutely inexcusable to put the plate holder on a new car.

My son's 99 Civic has plugs in the front bumper ... if someone moves to a state with no front plate, you can pull the holder, and put in the plugs. Not quite as nice as a perfectly smooth bumper, but much nicer than the "becomes a permanent installation" on the Max.

I bought from Central Carolina Nissan. No sticker, although I do think that is an exception.

Just to be a total rat bastard, I think I might go to Southern States in my son's car, go through the negotiation, then whack off $10,000 ($1,000/yr of expected ownership) for the front plate.

Then walk when they won't budge.