General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Nissan commercials vs. Toyota commercials

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2000, 02:36 AM

Does anyone notice all the Toyota commercials, people driving slow, talking about how quiet the car is, slow music, talking about how practical the car is, and never mentioning how much power the car has...

Ok...Nissan commericals: loud music, cars at WOT, drifting like crazy through dessert w/ wheels spinning and bragging how much power they make throwing rocks and sand with the wheels...

Now you wonder why Maxima drivers speed like crazy compared to Camry drivers!

Verdict: More Nissan commercials!

whew! just thought I would share that comparison

-- Peter
Old 12-22-2000, 03:32 AM
Got Bent?

I just saw a commercial for the Camry. It emphasized: stability, loyalty, and practicality or something. Then at the end it said something like 'chicks dig it'. WTF? To each hisown I guess...
Old 12-22-2000, 04:52 AM

I guess there's a hell of a lot more slowpokes out there than there are 'drivers', since they sell a s-load of camrys. You can't knock a great product like a Toyota, though. I had 2 and they are bulletproof, even if they are basic transportation. they've targeted their market well.
Old 12-22-2000, 05:44 AM

Toyota is more focused on the older buyer, the one who wants to drive slow. Not like nissan who wants more of the younger crowd
Old 12-22-2000, 06:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

greggmax: you're right, but I hate when people bring up how many more camrys are sold than max's. (not targeting you - just saying). In v6 trim - the maxima outsells the camry every year. The only reason the camry "outsells" the max is because it's available in a 4 banger cheap *** trim that looks and feels like a bigger corolla. There's so many ends of the spectrum. Also, considering that the solara is actually a "camry solara" I wonder if they include those numbers.

but you're right, they're like a rock and targeted their market well. I've driven my grandma's v6 xle and although it is a nice car with some good power, it's just too boring for me. I could never drive that car everyday.

Chris
Old 12-22-2000, 10:51 AM

I can't stand the Toyota commercials with the stupid TV GUY !
Old 12-22-2000, 01:19 PM

Ya the camry probably out sells all models of ferrari each year but i would rather have a ferarri...

Adam
Old 12-22-2000, 10:12 PM
davis449

Obviously none of y'all have ever seen the commercials for the Celicas. The whole point of the commercial is performance. "Performance you can use". It's a lousy effort, but it is an effort none the less. I know cause I've read about this. Toyota is sick of their older buyers (not really) and are trying to get into the younger generation market share. They've launched a whole new ad campaign for this. Ever seen the Toyota Echo commercials? Yeah, they're slow, but the whole thing is targeted toward the younger generation. "www.isthistoyota.com" That whole thing is about trying to attract the younger buyer. I think it's too late for them though. I definitely think the Nissan commercials were always better. I especially liked the Z commercial with the GIJOE figurines. That was pimp! Well, there's my 2 cents.

Old 12-22-2000, 11:17 PM

Hands down....Nissan has some of the best commercials on TV today...from GIJOE/BArbie up to the pathfinder hauling *** up a ski run to the maxima flying through the desert....they sure as he|| turn me on.
Old 12-22-2000, 11:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nissan commercials have the best music in them too... Stone Temple Pilots, Van Halen, Stevie Ray Vaughan, the Cult, and Rush I can think of off the top of my head. Seeing that Maxima commercial with "Tom Sawyer" in it was like a message from God (Rush is one of my favorite bands).
Old 12-23-2000, 08:33 PM
tan_camry

Let's not forget some Blur (I think 2000 Sentra?). The best is the 200 SX commercial (Batman theme) with the Lamborghini Countach, puny front trunk and the gas station, revving it a few times to empty....probably my favorite one. Hey how come we don't see the Nissan Quest doing some drifting in the commercials?

tan

Old 12-23-2000, 08:42 PM

i really don't think the commercial matters.
the fact is, toyota sells ALOT more Camry then nissan sells maxima.
Old 12-23-2000, 11:22 PM

How can you say the commercial doesn't matter. Why would companies bother spending millions on advertising if it "doesn't matter".

chris
Old 12-24-2000, 05:38 AM

Originally posted by WoodEar
i really don't think the commercial matters.
Ya.. your prolly right...

**Start sarcasm here**

all those millions wasted on the superbowl are in vain..

And I dunno about you,,. but that toyota TV guy has me thoroughly convinced that a Toyota camry should be my next car... it's sleek, comfortable, dependable, reliable, and SEXY!!!.. OR NOT

**End Sarcasm here**

the fact is, toyota sells ALOT more Camry then nissan sells maxima.
Ehh... cuz they sell a sh*t load of cheap 4 bangers...

Could you imagine a 4 cyl Maxima... I can't.. (they exist in Europe, I hear).. Anyways, if EVERYONE jumped off a bridge, would you??

-Tom
Old 12-24-2000, 06:55 AM

the pidgeons trying to take a crap on the speeding maxima.

That's a CLASSIC!

I think toyota's commercials are kind of gay.
I mean he drives around at 100mph in a circle the size of a shoping cart (which is unrealistic) just to shake up the ketchup. WTF?!?! oooooook
Then to make the dogs ears hang out. Riiiiiiiiight

I like toyota but they just got worse as far as their ad campaing goes. They should have stuck to what they were good at.

These of course are my opinions.
Old 12-24-2000, 07:00 AM

>>I like toyota but they just got worse as far as their ad campaing goes. They should have stuck to what they were good at. <<

Commercials are better directed than you might think. When someone has a commercial you don't get or like it probably means it wasn't aimed at you in the first place. Toyota Celica is a good example - the strong sales of previous generations were to women - bet they tink the dogs ears are cute!

Dave

Old 12-24-2000, 07:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

FWIW . . .

My 18-year old daughter LOVES the Celica-Ketchup commercial. She's decided she wants one (the Celica, not the Ketchup).

Different strokes . . .
Old 12-24-2000, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by CKNY
How can you say the commercial doesn't matter. Why would companies bother spending millions on advertising if it "doesn't matter".

chris
to try to make their **** look good and you feel you make a smart decision by buying them.

how often do you see Porsche commercial? and how often do you see nissan and hyundai commercial? real cars selling itselves, no need of stinky commecial
Old 12-24-2000, 08:20 AM
MaxRX7

no need for cumercials

Old 12-24-2000, 09:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WoodEar
how often do you see Porsche commercial? and how often do you see nissan and hyundai commercial? real cars selling itselves, no need of stinky commecial
Well I think there's a slight difference here. When people look to buy a camry they also consider an accord and a maxima. In this case, the commercial and the image the company tries to sell is pretty important. If you're younger and want a sportier car, nissan's gonna appeal to you. Family man? Maybe it's time for a camry.

On the other hand, if someone's gonna plunk down 110k for a 911 turbo - they're probably gonna do it regardless of the commercial. The two things you mentioned are completely irrelevant.

Chris
Old 12-24-2000, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by tomz17
Ehh... cuz they sell a sh*t load of cheap 4 bangers...

Could you imagine a 4 cyl Maxima... I can't.. (they exist in Europe, I hear).. Anyways, if EVERYONE jumped off a bridge, would you??

-Tom
i see, toyota sells 4 bangers, hey Nissan sells altima and sentra also, and toyota sells corolla too, and guess what, altogether toyota still outsells nissan, and toyota is a far more profitable company than nissan, nissan was nearly bankrupt. those are the facts.

will i jump off bridge if everyone else does? of course not, see, i did pick a maxima over a camry regardless they are lots more camry out there, and believe me, it wasn't becuase the maxima sliding thru desert tv ads gave me the woah this is cool i have to get one feeling. that's why i say tv ads don't really matter. if your car is good, people will buy it, for example i see alot more Hyundai commercial now days than mecedes, but will i buy a hyundai over a mecedes if disregarding price? of course not.
Old 12-24-2000, 09:21 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CKNY
Originally posted by WoodEar
Well I think there's a slight difference here. When people look to buy a camry they also consider an accord and a maxima. In this case, the commercial and the image the company tries to sell is pretty important. If you're younger and want a sportier car, nissan's gonna appeal to you. Family man? Maybe it's time for a camry.

On the other hand, if someone's gonna plunk down 110k for a 911 turbo - they're probably gonna do it regardless of the commercial. The two things you mentioned are completely irrelevant.

Chris
there is no difference.
my point is, if one makes his decision upon a tv ads, he is a ****ing idiot, plain and simple.
Old 12-24-2000, 11:51 AM

Obviously, there are a lot of f***ing idiots out there, or else companies wouldn't spend millions on ads. Tiger Woods is getting zillions for endorsing golf equipment. Why, because people connect him with great golf. People also see ads on TV and their emotions get the best of them. They shouldn't buy based on a commercial, but they do. If you don't you are probably in the minority. The ad creates the desire to own the item, but you should research a purchase, especially something that costs as much as a car.
Old 12-24-2000, 12:08 PM
tan_camry

Let's not forget other commercials which says "more room than....", "larger engine than....", etc. A small amount of research for consumers.

Nissan Cars and Trucks (except the Quest) primarily focus on the joy of driving on the road or off-road or the Pathfinder's "Not that you would" commercials (The Frontier's plastic nose is hideous, and Ford copped it with the Escape).

Honda...Civic: introducing the new features (still fun to drive), Accord, Coupe: fun the drive...the sedans, usually the special edition packages.

Toyota:
Camry: It's refined, understated (extrememly) elegance, the best selling car (and now the most stolen).

Isthistoyota cars Celica, MR2spyder, Echo: geared for younger younger audiences. Celica has some humor to it.

Corolla: THe Most trusted Car in the World, commercials, welding the hood shut, and the "By the Way, it also features side air bags", and interestingly enough, features some old people, and more middle-aged people.

Chrysler has the cool graphics intensive commericals (Dodge)

tan

Old 12-24-2000, 12:18 PM

i see, toyota sells 4 bangers, hey Nissan sells altima and sentra also, and toyota sells corolla too, and guess what, altogether toyota still outsells nissan, and toyota is a far more profitable company than nissan, nissan was nearly bankrupt. those are the facts.

Agreed... Nissan hasn't made the best business decisions in the last few years, but I think that most on this board would agree that they still are able to produce awesome cars... and the their future doesn't look as bleak as some would want you to believe!!!

Why is Toyota profitable..?? Maybe people like jumping of bridges..??!! :-)

Seriously, the Maxima seems a much sportier car... The Camry test drive was dull and painfully boring, compared to the Maxima.. My decision to buy the Maxima was one where I basically said, "why pay more for less??".. No other 4dr sedan, IMHO, gives you more bang for your buck!!!!

As for marketing :

Would I buy a car just because of a commercial...? no!!!

Would I be more tempted to stop by a Nissan dealer because of their awesome commercials...? you bet!!!

will i jump off bridge if everyone else does? of course not, see, i did pick a maxima over a camry regardless they are lots more camry out there, and believe me, it wasn't becuase the maxima sliding thru desert tv ads gave me the woah this is cool i have to get one feeling. that's why i say tv ads don't really matter. if your car is good, people will buy it, for example i see alot more Hyundai commercial now days than mecedes, but will i buy a hyundai over a mecedes if disregarding price? of course not.

Well.. those two cars are targeted at totally different markts.... I doubt there is a single person out there torn between buying a Hyundai, and a Mercedes... Moral : It takes a while, and some REALLY clever marketing to establish yourself in any market...