General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Calling those with a Level 10 tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 09:25 AM
Jer

Calling those with a Level 10 tranny

I'm working with someone on ordering all the replacement parts for my tranny rebuild; has anybody here who's gotten a Level 10 PTS rebuild gotten a parts list that came with it? I'm assuming you got a checklist.. if you did and could pass it on, I would be in your debt
Old 01-28-2003, 12:11 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

How much is Level 10 charging you for the full rebuild? There are some mix reviews on here about their work.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Calling those with a Level 10 tranny

Originally posted by Jer
I'm working with someone on ordering all the replacement parts for my tranny rebuild; has anybody here who's gotten a Level 10 PTS rebuild gotten a parts list that came with it? I'm assuming you got a checklist.. if you did and could pass it on, I would be in your debt
Yo with the 5spd bro.. It's cheaper then rebuilding your auto.. I was gonna do a level10 too but stick is much more fun to drive.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Calling those with a Level 10 tranny

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

Yo with the 5spd bro.. It's cheaper then rebuilding your auto.. I was gonna do a level10 too but stick is much more fun to drive.
Is there any 5th gen 5spd swap write up or parts list?
Old 01-28-2003, 01:31 PM

im confused bc everyone i know on the racing scene tells me that beefed up automatics are better to run on the 1/4 bc the boost is constant and u never have to let go of gas .... my father and uncle and all of thier friends ran muscle cars and still do and they swear by autos! ive even seen on Horsepower tv that autos are better /..... is any of this true to me it makes sense just somehting to think about
Old 01-28-2003, 01:34 PM
I'm needing a caw

Because they are probably all running Turbo 400s or something similar for their trannys. For muscle cars, you can actually build them to handle the power. Building tough auto trannys for fwd is not nearly as easy or affordable. Plus autos still don't have performance oriented gearing.

Originally posted by DaThrillr
im confused bc everyone i know on the racing scene tells me that beefed up automatics are better to run on the 1/4 bc the boost is constant and u never have to let go of gas .... my father and uncle and all of thier friends ran muscle cars and still do and they swear by autos! ive even seen on Horsepower tv that autos are better /..... is any of this true to me it makes sense just somehting to think about
Old 01-28-2003, 01:52 PM
Jer

Heh, I'm trying to avoid having to deal with Level 10 entirely if possible; there's no way I'm letting them do the rebuild, but rather will get their PTS kit rebuild parts (clutches/band/gaskets/etc), and will have someone up here do the work for me. Their prices are inflated, hence why I'm looking at getting the parts elsewhere (anyone can get the same high friction clutches, kevlar belt and so on).. and I don't like to sponsor "bad" companies : I personally know someone who bought a lot of parts from Level 10 and they ended up in a messy lawsuit. Those were parts for a different tranny though; kits are manufacturer dependant.

PCGuru : I've thought about it, but there are too many reasons not to. Vehicle value drops, if you screw up your car could be done for, it's a hassle to get things working properly, and I use this car in my daily commute to work - I'll go mad. Besides, this is my all-season car - I plan on getting something nicer for summer driving

And yes, many of those monsters you see are simple and crude automagics... I wish I could put a powerglide in here... but no Once you're beyond a certain threshold, a manual is not necessarily the best choice in the quarter. A properly built auto will put down as much power to the wheel, will shift faster on every shift, and will do so with perfect consistency. That being said it's more fun to row through the gears yourself... but I had gotten this car for a purpose
Old 01-28-2003, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by DaThrillr
and thats true. The problem is nobody knows much about auto trannys. Factory autos come slow and sugesish to be "gentel" on old heads. A good auto rebuild would kick that crap out of a 5 speed with the normal mods. Where it doesn't beat it is in weight. Thats it.

ON another note, level 10 is not known for the highest quality parts for the price. At all. For the same price you can beef it up much better. You could do a 5 speed, but if you wantted that why didn't you buy it to begin with? THink about it? If you really want the auto, do it right. you will not be unhappy.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:32 PM

I have first hand knowledge about this, as I went thru this same scenario several times this past year.

There is really no feasible place to find the beefed up PARTS. There is another contender out there which is the same company doing the TB mod (I forgot their name off the top of my head). I've spoken to the tech guy over there and he seems knowledgeable enough. His ideas of using a combo of hardening and welding smaller parts made me think he was on the right track. That is the only way to keep the tranny together under severe conditions. Even the stock clutches and bands hold their own under moderate "boosting" but it's the small parts like bearings and pins that most often fail THEN tearing up the bigger parts like the clutches, bands, and even TC's.

Bottom line is that they do sell the rebuild "kits" but the jury is still out whether or not it's worth the money or not.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:47 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900
I have first hand knowledge about this, as I went thru this same scenario several times this past year.

There is really no feasible place to find the beefed up PARTS. There is another contender out there which is the same company doing the TB mod (I forgot their name off the top of my head). I've spoken to the tech guy over there and he seems knowledgeable enough. His ideas of using a combo of hardening and welding smaller parts made me think he was on the right track. That is the only way to keep the tranny together under severe conditions. Even the stock clutches and bands hold their own under moderate "boosting" but it's the small parts like bearings and pins that most often fail THEN tearing up the bigger parts like the clutches, bands, and even TC's.

Bottom line is that they do sell the rebuild "kits" but the jury is still out whether or not it's worth the money or not.
Yeah, i Think you spoke to the tranny tech At maximum tuning in NY. I spoke with him myself and I think i Will let him do my tranny too!
Old 01-28-2003, 11:27 PM
Jer

Sounds like Maxximum Tuning

It's definately a valid point though.

I'm looking at a few places that specialize in transmissions and stocking performance tranny components... some have been rather helpful; one suggested I use Alto Red's instead of the high friction Raybesto Blue's (which I believe are included with the Level 10 kit), and is going to look into making me a list of components that would potentially need replacement. The more "stuff" I can get the better - if I get the choice of replacing an unworn OEM part with something better (ie paper gaskets lol), I'll spend the few cents extra!

Level 10 just rebrands/resells stuff from other companies... I don't see why I can't do the same thing... so we'll see if / how it works out.

On a positive note, I think the Jatco trannies are still pretty good stuff.. hell I've put on quite a bit of mileage and beaten it around pretty hard and it's still able to take me to work and back as long as I don't push on it. It's something daring to say considering how many 5th gens have blown their trannies up eh?

Old 01-29-2003, 06:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm in a similar situation as you, I want to build my tranny but don't know what avenue to take.

Please keep me posted on what you find.

Good work...
Old 01-29-2003, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by Jer
Sounds like Maxximum Tuning

Level 10 just rebrands/resells stuff from other companies... I don't see why I can't do the same thing... so we'll see if / how it works out.
You guys are correct. I spoke to the tech from Maxximum Tuning at length. He seemed very knowledgeable.

The problem is not so much that we know the parts are resales...it's making the contacts at the suppliers as an individual as opposed to a business that can generate multiple sales. I contacted a ton of different manufacturers while I was doing my tranny rebuild. I figured the same thing; while it's all apart, put it back together with stronger parts. Problem was that when I did find someone that carried a "stronger" part, they were not willing to sell them to me individually. They did want to sell a "kit" or wanted to direct me to other authorized dealers to buy thru, at a mark up off course.

It's a very difficult battle. If you have the time to leave your car down for a good while, I'm sure you could get lucky and find a couple of manufacturers that will sell you like the TC by itself or VB by itself or maybe even the clutches/bands by themselves. Trouble is, like I said before, those are good things to have, but not always the parts that are failing. More often it is the smaller, much weaker, parts that go first and then in swirling around the tranny take bigger parts with it. I have been there and done that, trust me. It is good to put stronger parts in, and you are heading in the right direction. I also think, after 3 tranny rebuilds in less than a year, that probably the solution to the weak auto tranny problem lies somewhere between stronger parts and custom work. The key is finding a reliable source for that custom work. I told Maximmum tuning I would be their guinea pig on their "bullet-proof" tranny, and with me going to the track and constantly posting here I could definetly find out if their claims are good. They didn't bite on that idea. Unfortunately, I'm not going to shell out $2-3k to find out their tranny is no stronger than Level 10's, just less expensive. If my tranny goes again, I'll convert to 5spd.

Just my long .02.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:05 AM

I'm not going to shell out $2-3k to find out their tranny is no stronger than Level 10's, just less expensive.

Just my long .02.

Max Tuning offers a one year warranty if installed by an ASE certified mechanic. Is this not the case?
Old 01-29-2003, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by MadMax95

Max Tuning offers a one year warranty if installed by an ASE certified mechanic. Is this not the case?
Yes, they probably do offer a warranty. Trust me, from first hand experience with a TC, the warranty only means they are going to replace the part, NOT have it installed. In other words, you will be responsible to pay that same ASE mechanic to drop the tranny AGAIN and install the part AGAIN. Even if the part didn't cost you anything, the labor will. When you are talking atleast $1k for just labor, that's a pity quote too, then you realize you don't want to drop the tranny too often. You also have to show them that their part is the cause of the problem. More often than not, it's a real headache. Trust me.

I don't want to sound like a sour puss, but after 3 rebuilds in a year and many thousands down the drain....I can tell you that promises come and go as quickly as my money went down that drain. Until I find a reputable shop that is willing to put their money where their mouth is, I will be a doubter. It's a shame that I have nitrous, slicks, 167k on the engine, etc....and the one thing I hold my fingers crossed for when I step up to the line at the track is my weak tranny holding.....
Old 01-29-2003, 09:12 AM

where do you live at and how far are you willing to travel?
Old 01-29-2003, 09:38 AM
wat

Looking back at older posts about the Level 10 tranny, it sounds like it can hold upto nearly 600hp! Some people had problems, some really enjoyed it...

So, I guess its 50/50, try it out!
Old 01-29-2003, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by max'n out
where do you live at and how far are you willing to travel?

What are you getting at?

Old 01-29-2003, 10:52 AM

BULLET PROOFING AUTO TRANNYS

From my experience level 10 kits offers alot things you will not get individualy from different companys.Level 10 pts comes with torrington bands and cluthes they also said it has raybesto blue plate clutches also.I called raybesto and asked about what they may have to offer for my tranny and at that time they said nothing did the same with torrington and they had some stuff but they didnt want to sale directly to me.I think the price is good for the pts kit $730 wich will come with extra clutch pack depending on what level build you require.valve body and tc can be had and purchased from another company for a alot lesser than level 10 but finding all the parts they use to make the kit will be hard and will cost you more in the long run.just my five cents on the topic since I have level 10 rebuild.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:39 PM
Jer

Re: BULLET PROOFING AUTO TRANNYS

My friend who had "issues" with Level10 ended up going through 3 of their trannies (all 4T65E rebuilds); he was pushing around 500hp+.. I believe back then they claimed a rating of 1000 for one of their figures, I don't recall if it was hp or tq (I believe it was in hp). Maybe that had something to do with why it's only 600hp/500lbs-ft now? Then again, it's always about how well they did the rebuild. If they screwed up anywhere in the smallest way while rebuilding, someone with a more modest gain may or may not see it break again, as opposed to someone who will be pushing it to the brink where the smallest rebuild flop will make her blow almost off the bat...

... I'm in Toronto (Canaduh) - I've got a few shops in the area that are potential condenders to do the work. I PM'd Jeff about the tranny but didn't hear back, so I dunno whether they're doing them yet. If it's only 2-3k I may just end up buying the tranny from him, the only drawback is that I would lose the VLSD... and I guess shipping would cost an arm and a leg too (I don't know if I want to be driving accross the border for tranny work of that kind ).

I'm hoping to have everything sometime around the end of Feb or early March : right now it's cold out and I'm in no mood to work on the car, not to mention that I'm pretty busy with work - I'm working on this in my spare time. We will see what happens! It would be very nice to come up with solutions other than Level 10.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:55 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: BULLET PROOFING AUTO TRANNYS

Originally posted by Jer
I believe back then they claimed a rating of 1000 for one of their figures, I don't recall if it was hp or tq (I believe it was in hp). Maybe that had something to do with why it's only 600hp/500lbs-ft now?
when was it 1000??? that must have been a while ago, cause its been 600 for the past 4-5 years as far as I can remember.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:17 PM

What are you getting at?

Hey now whoa! Was going to suggest sombody if it was with in a region you where willing to travel o rlived near.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:44 PM

Hey now whoa! Was going to suggest sombody if it was with in a region you where willing to travel o rlived near.

That's all I was asking, who do you suggest? I thought maybe it was yourself...

I'm in Denver...

Old 01-29-2003, 02:48 PM

That's all I was asking, who do you suggest? I thought maybe it was yourself...

I'm in Denver...

Hmmmm, now that is tuff, if you where on the east coast I could get ya sombody, but out there don't really know, best suggestion I can make is to find a hot rod shop and see who they suggest to do custom autos, those guys usally know.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:47 AM
Jer

Where in the east coast? If they really know their stuff and will do a good job, maybe I can take a vacation

Hmmmm, now that is tuff, if you where on the east coast I could get ya sombody, but out there don't really know, best suggestion I can make is to find a hot rod shop and see who they suggest to do custom autos, those guys usally know.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by Jer
Where in the east coast? If they really know their stuff and will do a good job, maybe I can take a vacation

Maryland
Old 01-30-2003, 11:22 AM
Jer

If it's less than 12 hours of straight driving from Rochester, NY (or somewhere close to that), they can do it within about 2-3 days, and it goes for about 2-3k in parts and labour, I'm open

Maryland
Old 01-30-2003, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Jer
If it's less than 12 hours of straight driving from Rochester, NY (or somewhere close to that), they can do it within about 2-3 days, and it goes for about 2-3k in parts and labour, I'm open

I will not sit here and quote prices thats somthing that is between you guys and him/them, and is somwhat up to exactly what you want out of it.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:45 PM
wat

Where in MD? Who is it? I am looking to have my tranny done.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by look2me40
Where in MD? Who is it? I am looking to have my tranny done.
Call Rob, at NRH transmissions.