General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

sprint/koni's on my car...hell yes!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2001, 09:56 AM

my impressions:
looks: my car is low and in control. i know a lot of people have said that the rear of the max sags after lowering. i don't know if my installer messed with the height adjustment on the rear shocks but my car is almost even with the front a little lower than the rear. the car doesn't look slammed but it does look real low.

handling: i have the rears set at 3 and my fronts i think about 1.5 when i left the performance shop. my installer scared me when he told me that it was the stiffest car he's ever rode in. so i was expecting a backbreaking ride. well it was definitely bumpier ride over uneven pavement, but i didn't think it was that stiff. i don't know yet because i've only driven my car for like 15 minutes, plus my fronts aren't adjusted to the right setting yet.

alignment: i used the ingalls camber bolts and the shop didn't seem to have any problems with the alignment. whats weird is that they were doing a 4-wheel alignment, i was like whatever. the alignment was $69.

hopefully i'll have pics up on lightningmotorsports website next week.

i'll keep you guys posted.
Old 01-10-2001, 12:12 PM

whats up.. hell yeah i wanna see the pics of the sprints... but how can you adjust the ride height 1.5 to 3... i dont understand or is that the harshness setting on the shocks
Old 01-10-2001, 12:32 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

You could adjust where the spring perch sit on the rear konis. You can't do it for the front. It's about a 1/4" difference. Do you know if the ring on the top groove or the bottom groove on your rear koni?. My koni cames with the rings on the bottom groove.

Originally posted by seven
my impressions:
looks: my car is low and in control. i know a lot of people have said that the rear of the max sags after lowering. i don't know if my installer messed with the height adjustment on the rear shocks but my car is almost even with the front a little lower than the rear. the car doesn't look slammed but it does look real low.

handling: i have the rears set at 3 and my fronts i think about 1.5 when i left the performance shop. my installer scared me when he told me that it was the stiffest car he's ever rode in. so i was expecting a backbreaking ride. well it was definitely bumpier ride over uneven pavement, but i didn't think it was that stiff. i don't know yet because i've only driven my car for like 15 minutes, plus my fronts aren't adjusted to the right setting yet.

alignment: i used the ingalls camber bolts and the shop didn't seem to have any problems with the alignment. whats weird is that they were doing a 4-wheel alignment, i was like whatever. the alignment was $69.

hopefully i'll have pics up on lightningmotorsports website next week.

i'll keep you guys posted.
Old 01-10-2001, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by MaxiPad96
whats up.. hell yeah i wanna see the pics of the sprints... but how can you adjust the ride height 1.5 to 3... i dont understand or is that the harshness setting on the shocks
He's refering to the harshness setting on the shocks. I too have this setup and am loving it. Except I don't have my rear konis installed yet(damn carparts.com). I didn't notice any sagging in the rear, in fact my front looks like it might sit a tad bit lower than my rear. I turned my fronts all the way to the firmest setting and the handeling is unbelievable. Its harsh but not to harsh, I think I will tone it down maybe one setting. I was wondering if I should expect some settling with these springs(I've had em on for around two days now)
Old 01-10-2001, 01:17 PM

well start posting some pics witht the sprints... i havent seen one pic yet
Old 01-10-2001, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by MaxiPad96
well start posting some pics witht the sprints... i havent seen one pic yet
I would love to post some pics of my car, but I don't have a camera. But, I do have a scanner, so as soon as I get someone to take some pics of my car, I'll scan em. Or i'll just try to find some one with a digital camera.
Old 01-10-2001, 01:59 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Dammit, when i get mine done, i'll post pics that day. Now I just need to make some money, buy my tail lights dammit!
Old 01-10-2001, 02:11 PM

I hear of people doing stock with H&R's, have anyone tried this with the sprint springs?????????
Old 01-10-2001, 02:14 PM

You want Sprint Pics? I've got Sprint Pics for ya!!

Well, since they're on sale now and I no longer have to keep my prototype Sprints under wraps, here are some pics I took back on July 10 of last year (about a week after I installed them on my car)... These pics along with my driving impressions/suggestions writeup went back to Sprint so they could make the changes I thought were necessary.

http://63.204.172.66/maxima/Sprints/Mavica.htm

Enjoy

--Nabil
'96 SE 5spd... Zesty!!!

[Edited by Nabil on 01-10-2001 at 04:19 PM]
Old 01-10-2001, 02:20 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

adjustable konis??

i didnt know koni sold adjustables for maximas! how much do they cost?
Old 01-10-2001, 05:11 PM

all right guys sorry about not answering

questions, but i've been out carving corners i had my fronts set at 1 half-turn today and it felt pretty good. i'm going to put them on 3 half-turns tomorrow and see how that feels. i'm sure now that the front sits lower than the rear, it looks pretty good and aggressive. i've been getting stares all day b/c i don't think anybodies ever seen a maxima lowered like that. i can take corners so quickly now, its almost like my maxima is a sports car :0

the bad news: its a stiff ride...but which lowered car isn't. i think my cd player skipped today b/c of this setup. but i like the way the car feels, and definitely the way the car looks. i think i would have taken the springs off if the *** of my car was sagging.

1MAX2NV: the shocks came without the mounting rings on the body. i know you have these springs and i would definitely put it on the normal setting or else your rear will look too high.
Old 01-10-2001, 05:12 PM

all right guys sorry about not answering

questions, but i've been out carving corners i had my fronts set at 1 half-turn today and it felt pretty good. i'm going to put them on 3 half-turns tomorrow and see how that feels. i'm sure now that the front sits lower than the rear, it looks pretty good and aggressive. i've been getting stares all day b/c i don't think anybodies ever seen a maxima lowered like that. i can take corners so quickly now, its almost like my maxima is a sports car :0

the bad news: its a stiff ride...but which lowered car isn't. i think my cd player skipped today b/c of this setup. but i like the way the car feels, and definitely the way the car looks. i think i would have taken the springs off if the *** of my car was sagging.

1MAX2NV: the shocks came without the mounting rings on the body. i know you have these springs and i would definitely put it on the normal setting or else your rear will look too high.

later
Old 01-10-2001, 08:50 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

we all should thank Nabil for his R&D. i mean, who else is better for R&D than him?

good job nabil!
Old 01-10-2001, 09:28 PM

Here is a pic of Nabils car. As you know he has the Sprint springs but in his pic, Im not sure but it doesnt look like it had settled yet. Here is a new pic of his car and this was on Dec 2nd

http://www.digital-web.net/~reifsnyd...ke/Image95.jpg

Hope you dont mind Nabil.

Chris
Old 01-11-2001, 12:50 AM

A recent picture of my car

Since so many of you seem so hell bent on criticizing the first pics taken soon after the install (i.e. before the springs had settled), maybe this picture, taken 6 months after they were installed, at the last meet organized by Chris aka CapMaxima99 on Dec 2nd will set you straight.

--Nabil
'96 SE 5spd... Zesty!!!

By the way, my sig pic below shows my car riding on Eibachs which seem significantly higher in comparison, don't they?
Old 01-11-2001, 05:21 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: A recent picture of my car

No complaints from me. I can't wait to get mine on!
Old 01-11-2001, 07:43 AM

it looks good in real life, trust me

the back does not look like its jacked up at all. in fact if you read my first impressions i didn't really notice it. it basically looks even with the back a little higher, which is good because the rear wheel arch is lower than the front so even the stock maxima's look like they're sagging. if you ever look at a stock se driving by it looks like the front is higher than the back because of the wheel arches. with the sprints it look like the stock BMW 740's.

yeah we should thank the R&D man Nabil because these springs are definitely unique. one more comment: i asked my installer if there was a way to shorten the struts for more suspension travel for better handling and ride. he told me when he test drove my car that it never bottomed out and that i shouldn't have to worry about that. abd so far i haven't had any problems.
Old 01-11-2001, 07:51 AM

are the Spring springs progressive or not?