General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Opinions on Drag Racing with a Lightened Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 05:53 PM
SLOW

Opinions on Drag Racing with a Lightened Flywheel

I'm hearing conflicting reports of whether it is beneficial or detrimental to drag race with a lightened flywheel.

My setup would be a bolt-on maxima, on slicks, with an aftermarket clutch. Opinions on adding a Fidanza flywheel to this setup and how it would benefit or hurt my times.

BTW drag racing is not the only kind of racing I do but it's what I'm worried about with the flywheel.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:01 PM

The flywheel basically lightens the car by 150-200lbs in 1st gear and maybe 100-75lbs in 2nd gear. With slicks you should be able to put all the power down, so you should be able to get faster 1/8 times. Also since it is lighter you will have to launch at a higher rpm because the rpm will fall faster. It's nothing you can't handle .
Old 03-29-2003, 07:52 PM

Re: Opinions on Drag Racing with a Lightened Flywheel

Originally posted by Nealoc187
I'm hearing conflicting reports of whether it is beneficial or detrimental to drag race with a lightened flywheel.

My setup would be a bolt-on maxima, on slicks, with an aftermarket clutch. Opinions on adding a Fidanza flywheel to this setup and how it would benefit or hurt my times.

BTW drag racing is not the only kind of racing I do but it's what I'm worried about with the flywheel.
You might have seen my post on the ACT/Fidanza flywheel. I was trying to make sure the ACT wouldn't rip it apart. I also saw that you are going with the Exedy clutch. Any reason you are taking that over the ACT?

I also like to go to the strip a lot too so any post from members that actually have raced a 1/4 or 1/8th with it would be appreciated!

I just think that it will create a need for changing ones launching technique, but in theory it should be beneficial? Never seen or had any experience with it though.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:58 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
The flywheel basically lightens the car by 150-200lbs in 1st gear and maybe 100-75lbs in 2nd gear. With slicks you should be able to put all the power down, so you should be able to get faster 1/8 times. Also since it is lighter you will have to launch at a higher rpm because the rpm will fall faster. It's nothing you can't handle .
Well the lightening effect is good, which is why I want it, but what I'm worried about is that the decreased mass may make my launches on slicks less effective, i.e easier to bog from a given RPM clutch drop.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:54 PM

My sister has the same flywheel as you are looking into in her mx6. The car definitly revs quicker up and down than before. You'll probably have to adjust your launch rpm by 200-400rpm higher. But you will be able to use the slicks. I hope you con't break an axle doing a 6600rpm launch .

Well the lightening effect is good, which is why I want it, but what I'm worried about is that the decreased mass may make my launches on slicks less effective, i.e easier to bog from a given RPM clutch drop.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:06 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
My sister has the same flywheel as you are looking into in her mx6. The car definitly revs quicker up and down than before. You'll probably have to adjust your launch rpm by 200-400rpm higher. But you will be able to use the slicks. I hope you con't break an axle doing a 6600rpm launch .

With a clutch I might be able to pull of a 7200rpm redline clutch dump
Old 03-29-2003, 11:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Opinions on Drag Racing with a Lightened Flywheel

I have the UR flywheel. I cant really launch at high rpms b/c it revs up so fast. I love it though.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The momentum of the heavier flywheel is benificial when launching, anti bogging. Also in my case I believe it helps prevent drive line from shock. Since it has more momentum than a light weight unit the clutch disk cant grab it as fast as a light weight unit. So it essentially cushions the drive line, in theory. Same principle for my clutch net six puck sprung hub disk. The metal discs slip a bit when engaging, but it cushions the the drive line by spreading the load out over a greater time period. The pressure plate I got from clutchnet is medium in pressure and this too helps prevent drive line shock. IMHO somthing like an ACT clutch with a high strength pressure plate and a light weight fly wheel is an bad mixture for durability when drag racing. I will probably never get a light weight flywheel just for these reasons and for the money its not worth the trouble or minimal gain. For a road race/autocross car its a good idea for rev matching. But for a drag car its a no no, IMHO.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:19 AM

I was planning on getting the fidanza flywheel too. I haven't gone to the track but planning on going this spring/summer. I was getting it because my flywheel is in bad shape and i need to change it anyway. I'm also getting the exedy clutch so does anybody have any hard facts as to a slower/faster time at the track with a fidanza flywheel. Not just theory's. come on i know some people here have been to the track with a lightened flywheel and aftermarket clutch.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
The momentum of the heavier flywheel is benificial when launching, anti bogging. Also in my case I believe it helps prevent drive line from shock. Since it has more momentum than a light weight unit the clutch disk cant grab it as fast as a light weight unit. So it essentially cushions the drive line, in theory. Same principle for my clutch net six puck sprung hub disk. The metal discs slip a bit when engaging, but it cushions the the drive line by spreading the load out over a greater time period. The pressure plate I got from clutchnet is medium in pressure and this too helps prevent drive line shock. IMHO somthing like an ACT clutch with a high strength pressure plate and a light weight fly wheel is an bad mixture for durability when drag racing. I will probably never get a light weight flywheel just for these reasons and for the money its not worth the trouble or minimal gain. For a road race/autocross car its a good idea for rev matching. But for a drag car its a no no, IMHO.

So basically you think it would be really hard on the tranny and cause problems with high rpm launches. I have been successful with low rpm launches so this is why I thought the light weight fly wheel would help me, but....grrr lol

Oh boy, its things like this that make me double guess myself on my purchase!

Got to do something ASAP though or I am going to be sitting on the side of the road not going anywhere!! Its slipping in 4th and 5th gear when I gun it!
Old 03-30-2003, 03:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I dont think any NA powered 3.0L is in danger of breaking their drive line with this. Add slicks and or boost and or juice and its possible, IMHO.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
I dont think any NA powered 3.0L is in danger of breaking their drive line with this. Add slicks and or boost and or juice and its possible, IMHO.
I think I am going to go ahead and order it. Only way to find out if it will actually be benifical for me or not. I know it will take some adjustment on my driving style and launching at the track, the ACT clutch alone will do that, but its just money right? lol

I also plan on doing the UDP around the sametime too so this should be real interesting.